Rimmel Clean Finish Matte Foundation

Clean Finish Matte, Rimmel London

2.8

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I recall being really into the original formulation of this foundation so when I saw a matte version I was excited as my skin has consistently gotten oilier throughout the years. Unfortunately this foundation is just terrible. It is extremely hard to blend from the get go. The formula sets almost immediately upon application meaning you have to blend it super super fast in order to even remotely get decent blendability, however even working quickly it is almost impossible to get even coverage with this foundation.

The next issue is that it is so patchy the coverage just clumps in places and fails to deliver a nice smooth even coverage. I've tried mixing this with other products hoping to alleviate some of the dryness of the overall product as it sets but nothing seems to work to alleviate the patchiness of this product. If you do manage to get some type of even coverage the unfortunate fact of this foundation is that oxidizes easily.

The plus sides of this product are that it is extremely cheap and the packaging is nice. I've always been a big fan of the spatula applicator inside of this foundation. None of that matters though if the product inside is bad which in this case it is.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this foundation.
I have extremely oily skin so I'm always trying foundations that claim to be "matte" and nothing else has worked or me.
I use this without a primer or anything, and I put my Hard Candy Glamoflage concealer over my blemishes and Covergirl's oil-control pressed powder on top and my face stays oil free for at least a few hours, but with any other foundation my skin would get oily in just ten minutes. I love the formula, blends well and doesn't feel cakey.
I use the shade True Ivory #130 and I have a light-medium skin tone with olive undertones.
This foundation goes on kind of pinkish but it cancels out the olive tones in my skin and blends wonderfully.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this because I was looking for a good, cheap, matte foundation. First of all, the consistency is odd. It's thick, gel-like, and extremely pigmented - it almost feels like paint on your skin. It's pretty matte and lasts a while, but you have to make sure not to put too much on or it'll clump up and just look really cake-y. You don't need to put powder over anything with a foundation as thick and pigmented as this - less is definitely more. Overall I don't think I'd buy this again only because it's really heavy but ladies, if you're looking for a nice hickey concealer you've found it LOL this is the best one I've found yet ;-)

on 9/2/2014 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this foundation after seeing a review on YouTube. I have fallen in love with the matte mousse foundation from Rimmel and thought I would give this a shot since I was almost out of that.

This product has a very strange consistency. It's not liquid, it's not mousse, it's more gel like. There is a spatula that you use to 'scoop' the product out. I got the shades True Ivory and Soft Beige. I went with True Ivory even though it was lighter than I like my foundation to be, but the Soft Beige was way too dark.

When I first applied it I was like "Ohhhhh, ahhhhh" this is freakin' awesome!!! That lasted a hot minute..because it was all downhill from there. It separated on my face and I could not find a shade match - True Ivory was just too light (even with bronzer) I used it with & without various primers & setting powders. But nothing I used made it work for me.

I really really really wished the finish would have lasted because I loooooved it!!! Not fully matte, but more of a natural no-shine (if that makes sense to you) finish. Returned both of my bottles & got a backup tube of the matte mousse.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

In the store, this product seemed too good to be true. Cheap price, and it promised to keep me matte.

It did keep me matte for a good while, six hours was it for me. But I work in fast food and I am around grease and stuff. The price was absolutely amazing!! The first couple of days I wore this, I absolutely loved it. It matched my skin tone and kept me from looking oily for a while. About the third day I wore it, my skin started breaking out. I had acne and started medicine that cleared me up and I haven't broken out again until I wore this!! I thought this would be good for my winter skin tone as my Urban Decay NAKED SKIN foundation was getting too dark and this would be a cheap foundation. Well, back to my expensive foundation until I can find something else. If you have acne prone skin I wouldn't use this. If you have just plain ole oily skin, try it. You might like it. For the price it's unbeatable. But for the sake of my skin, I won't be repurchasing or even finishing the bottle.

Okay, I stopped using this and my skin was still broken out. So I stopped using it and kept using the L' Oreal Youth Code face cream with SPF in it. My face was still broken out. I tried this foundation again, the foundation is definitely medium to full coverage. So if you are looking a for a light coverage, this isn't for you. I think the packaging could have been a little bit better, they could have put it in a mousse foundation container. I think the paddle/spatula the provide works well but it could have been improved. It works though for sanitary issues.

When you first out the foundation on, it looks streaky. But keep applying because it will look better when you're done I promise.

I have extremely oily skin, and this product keeps me matte for about six hours, but I sweat really bad in welding class at school. So six hours isn't too bad. If this product doesn't break me out, I will be repurchasing. Until I figure out for sure what it is breaking me out, I will not repurchase this product. Hope this helps!!

on 1/7/2014 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

The price and promise for "matte" skin caught my eye but after applying I soon realized that it was wayyyy too thick and dried too quickly. It would dry before I could blend it and then I would try to add more to cover the streaks that came from it drying too quick. Just a mess. My face was oily an hour later as well. Maybe if you mixed it with a moisturizer or if you can apply it fast enough it might work for you. It's very heavy. I liked the spatula applicator and the price was great but just wasn't for me.

on 7/17/2013 10:11:00 PM

This product is ehhhhh. Not good or bad. But i dont see myself reaching for it after using it for only one time. P.s- doesnt do the claim on the label.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

STATS:
-Purchased at Walmart
- about 4$

PACKAGING:
-Sturdy glass
-No Pump
-Cap has a paddle attached

PRE REQ's:
- I have extremely oily skin, especially now ( mid july! )
-I don't use primer
-Set foundation with Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in 001 transparent
-I have been using this foundation for about a month on almost every day

PRODUCT:
-NOT liquid foundation
-More of a light mousse texture
-It claims to have rice protein (which is usually in a lot of oil control products)
-Medium/light coverage
-Limited skin tone range, It was unbelivably hard to find a match! I got a foundation a shade lighter to be safe

CONS:
-It dries ridiculously fast, faster then R ColorStay. When blending
however it is sticky and wet like after applying. takes a while to set
-blends horribly! IF you use your hands and attempt to rub it in it will dry in random spots and leave you looking patchy!
-When it dries it gives your face a weird bumpy texture. (hence exaggerates pores!)
- Even though I bought a shade or two lighter it does oxidize! way darker than my skin.

PROs:
-Does control oil for about 3 hours
-Really Cheap
-When applied with wet sponge it does look better but the coverage is light.
-Paddle makes the application a lot cleaner
-A good amount of pigmentation does last all day

VERDICT:
I would not recommend this product to anyone, even if they are on a budget. There are much better foundations for a little more money. You are getting what you pay for.
The negatives outweigh the positives.

on 5/15/2013 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

* ABOUT MY SKIN *
- I have combination skin. My t-zone is an oil slick, and I have normal/dry skin everywhere else, with dark acne scars and hyperpigmentation on my chin. Any active acne tends to be very red as well, and my cheeks tend to get a bit red.
- I am Asian with yellow undertones. My colour in MAC (SFF) is NC35.

* PACKAGING & PRICE *
Rimmel Clean Finish Matte comes in a glass bottle with a plastic screw cap. The cap has a spatula attached to it to help you scoop out the product, which I think is awesome. I believe I paid around $6 (CAD) for this foundation at Wal-Mart, which makes it VERY cheap compared to other drugstore foundations. It is available in 8 shades.

* FORMULA, COLOUR & APPLICATION *
Clean Finish Matte has a thick, almost whipped consistency. I can see why they decided to include the spatula with the lid, it would probably be hard to get it out otherwise! There is a faint scent, like with most Rimmel products, but it dissipates once applied. The colour I purchased for myself was Nude, which is the same colour as the Lasting Finish 25 Hour foundation by Rimmel which I have (and love!). Nude is a perfect match for NC35, and it is quite warm/yellow on me, which is a good thing. I have tried applying this with my fingers, 3 different brushes, a regular sponge, and a Beautyblender dupe. It is quite thick and needs to be blended in quickly, so I would suggest working in sections. It feels nice and creamy on the skin, and doesn't drag even though the formula is thicker than most.

* COVERAGE & STAYING POWER *
The coverage of this foundation is very good. It is medium to full depending on how you apply it. It feels very lightweight on the skin. I originally bought this foundation because I thought this would be like Rimmel's version of Revlon Colorstay, since Revlon doesn't make a good match for me in Canada. I love my Lasting Finish but it is more satin than matte on me. I don't like how this foundation applies and I don't like how it acts on my face. I don't know if it's my techniques, or my skin, but I just can't get this to work. With every way I have applied it, I have not gotten a good finish. It is super cakey and it's a little patchy on me. I thought maybe the formula was just too dry to be used with a brush, but I used it with 2 different types of DAMP sponges and even damp brushes and it looked better at first, until it settled and dried into a patchy mess. I tried different moisturizers underneath and still no luck. I have had to take it off immediately every time I've tried it. I left it on once for about 8 hours around the house once just to see if the finish would change but it didn't. It even made the oily parts of my face patchy! On the plus side, it did stay very matte on my oily t-zone, and I did not powder.

* FINAL THOUGHTS *
I wish that this worked for me. The colour match is great, the product is dirt cheap and the packaging is actually decent. I just can't get this to apply on my face without looking cakey or patchy. It did not seem to oxidize on me or transfer excessively either. I don't think that this would be suitable for drier or even normal skins, as it is quite matte. The shade range for this line is not very wide, so those with deeper or fairer complexions may have a harder time finding a match. It's worth a shot, especially because it's super cheap, but I ended up returning this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Not bad for a cheap purchase. It claims not to break your face out, but it seems anything I put on my face for a whole day clogs my pores. I like the feel and color of this foundation, it made my skin look much better without being too greasy.