Rimmel Clean Finish Matte Foundation

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

WHAT THE ACTUAL FLYING FUDGE BROWNIE
I HATE THIS FOUNDATION WITH THE FIRE OF ONE THOUSAND SUNS

I've never actually tried liquid foundation before, only mineral powders. Since I had no actual experience with foundation like this, I decided to try something cheap, since I'm livin' la vida broka.

For some idiotic reason, I expected this foundation to do all the things it claimed to do- offer a flawless, poreless finish, while leaving my skin matte, and not caking up. But I should have realized, was that just like Hitler when he promised not to invade Czechoslovakia,
IT WAS A LIE.

1. The lightest shade left me looking like I had escaped from Willy Wonk's Factory.
2. Getting a flawless cake-free face with this foundation is like trying to baptize a cat. Nearly impossible.
3. Broke me out something horrible.

This may work well for someone who is not acne prone, and uses a darker shade, but for me, it's like a bag of trash.
Actually, it's not even good enough for a bag, it's just a piece of trash. Lying there, all disorganized.
Don't buy this.

on 10/5/2013 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm not at all sure why this foundation has so many negative reviews. I bought this the other day completely on impulse (well, I had a dollar off coupon, so there was that...) then came home and read the reviews on here. I wore it to work the next day and kept checking to see if my skin was turning orange! First of all, I could tell within about 20 minutes that this was - for lack of a better word - drying, which for us oily skinned girls is a major plus. I have worn it 3 days straight and it is holding my oilies at bay for at least 8 hrs if not longer. Today for example I checked my makeup after 10 hrs and my nose was a little shiny but overall my makeup still looked flawless. I am very fair but I use a small amount and apply it with a foundation brush, so I went a bit darker than normal and it looks fantastic. I always apply a dusting of loose powder over any foundation to help control oil and to give a more finished, polished look. I think for $4 you should give this a whirl, and maybe apply it with a light hand. I'm glad I didn't read all the bad reviews or I never would have tried it! EDIT: True Ivory turned my face ORANGE - right when I put it on. Warm Ivory is what I'd been using and it looks natural, my skin is just getting more pale so I thought I'd try a lighter shade....will be trading it for Nude tomorrow! Ugh. 2nd EDIT: I am still in love with this makeup! Nude and Warm Ivory both work very well for my fair skin, and applying it over foundation with a big soft brush gives me just the right coverage. Controls oil ALL DAY. I'm still amazed. Been using it for about a month.

on 10/18/2012 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: $3.79! Such an amazing price for such a great makeup!
COVERAGE: I would say the coverage is definitely light- a light medium. It conceals most of my old acne scarring but doesn't do much for my big red blemishes.
FINISH: This stays true to its name. It has a great soft-powdered matte finish, and I don't even need to set it with powder. It DOES eliminate pores. It also sets REALLY fast. You think Revlon Colorstay sets fasts? Haha, no, the second you are done blending this out its DRY. So, I suggest using a damp brush or sponge to slow down the setting process.
TEXTURE: It is sort of thick and whipped, similar to the Revlon Whipped Creme Makeup, but not quite as decadent. It doesn't feel thick when applied the skin though.
SCENT: Yes, there is a slight scent, but nothing major.
SPF: None
LASTING POWER: This foundation DEFINITELY beat the original in this department. This last an impressively long amount of time. I apply it at 7:00AM and it has barely faded by 5:00PM.
SHADES: I got this in "True Ivory", the same shade as I got in the original Clean Finish. But for some reason, the shade in this formula is a LOT lighter, way too pale for me.This is why I took a lippie off. The shades are funky looking in the jar, but then a completely different color when on the skin. It also does not have a wide variety for those with deeper skin tones.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope!
PACKAGING: Packaging is the same as the original. Little glass bottle, with a plastic spatula connected to the lid to scoop the gelatinous product out. It comes with 1 ounce, which is, considering how little product you need for the entire face, a lot of product.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes, I think I might, in a darker shade :)
FINAL VERDICT: Definitely an improvement on the old Clean Finish! Definitely one of my top 10 favorite foundations.

I got drawn to this because of the of the word "MATTE" on the bottle. I hate this. It dries so fast that you cant even blend it in and it makes me breakout like hell. Its pretty cheap. $4.37 but if your on a budget or if you're starting out into the makeup world, dont even buy this. Spend your $4 dollas on something else.

on 6/25/2012 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Rimmel is my go-to drug store makeup company. So anytime they come out with something new I have to try it. Considering how I liked the Clean Finish foundation I figured I would love this one since I love matte finishes. This is a water base, medium-full (build it up of course..) foundation. I use my elf kabuki face brush to blend this in. I really love it because it's very lightweight and lasts. It takes a about 3 minutes to dry. I also set it with a pressed powder. For only $3.97 at Walmart, how can you pass this up??

on 8/24/2017 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I'm really shocked by the bad reviews on this. I have used all kinds of foundations.. high end brands cheap brands..powders creams liquids... I am fascinated at this product and it's price. I have neutral warm 15/20 skin tone. The warm ivory is what I use and it matches well. I use primer. I found this worked great with the Rimmel pro primer. Go figure worked better than my expensive primers. It did not oxidize and wore lovely for 10+ hours. It looks natural glowy. It didn't cake or crease or ball up. I used my finger to pay and slap it for blending. It has a medium/ full coverage. You can add more layers without it looking cakey or blotchy. This stuff is well worth the buy for me. They could have lighter shades though I do agree. But I am really shocked at the bad reviews.

on 3/17/2014 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

ok, this product needs better reviews.

please understand this is NOT FOR DRY SKIN.. no matter what your age.

my skin is normal, and during this season (I am on opposite sides of the planet), it is HOT, warm and humid.

every foundation and I mean the whole roster of HE non transfer* .. they sure as hell do transfer in hot weather*... has dripped/ disappeared and basically makes me look hideous.

I found this little treasure and in my atypical despair, purchased a bottle. LOVE! it's a light ivory and it has been on my skin through thick and hot .. not moving at all. I ran and purchased another 4 bottles.. oh yes, the price let me do this without feeling guilt. I am keeping one in every nook and cranny of my office, house and travel gear. It gives great a poreless finish. I use it over primer -- Hour Glass usually or Stila. Anything works.

Love the spatula -- it's super convenient. And the price.. it ourperforms my Dior Forever.

I bought this on a whim.. I do admit it was my fault for not doing any research before purchasing this product. My skin is quite oily in the t-zone, so I am always looking for a mattifying foundation. I also have some post-acne scarring, so I do prefer a full coverage or medium foundation. I should have just known that this was going to be a fail right from the beginning.. the colour selection was all over the map, nothing seemed to fit my skin tone correctly, yet i still bought it hoping my powder would correct the colour a bit...

I was SO SO SOOOO excited to try it the next day. I woke up, washed, toned, and moisturized my face. Opened the bottle.. and was very pleased by the spatula idea.. however, i noticed that this foundation was strangely thick compared to when i tested at the store.. anyway.. i applied to my face and realized HOLY CRAP, this thing sets FAST. i could barelyyyy blend it in quick enough before it set. However, I got it blended in as well as I could, and set with powder.

I went to work not even a half hour later.. looked in the mirror.. and OMG WHAT THE HELL?! The foundation actually "blotched" up in orange blotches ALL OVER my face... it was absolutely horrifying. There were bare patches of my skin, an orange blobs. I took it off ASAP and reapplied with a different foundation.

I was so appalled,I brought it back to Walmart and demanded them to refund my money. I have NEVER, EVER seen a foundation like this.. it was horrible. Will NEVER repurchase again. Gave it 1 lippie because i LOVED the spatula idea and packaging.. however, terrifyingly horrible product. Never, ever again.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This foundation was super weird. The color oxidizes quickly and made my skin look orange and it did not blend easily. It went on patchy and tended to roll off the more I tried to blend it in. The price was great but definitely not worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

In the store, this product seemed too good to be true. Cheap price, and it promised to keep me matte.

It did keep me matte for a good while, six hours was it for me. But I work in fast food and I am around grease and stuff. The price was absolutely amazing!! The first couple of days I wore this, I absolutely loved it. It matched my skin tone and kept me from looking oily for a while. About the third day I wore it, my skin started breaking out. I had acne and started medicine that cleared me up and I haven't broken out again until I wore this!! I thought this would be good for my winter skin tone as my Urban Decay NAKED SKIN foundation was getting too dark and this would be a cheap foundation. Well, back to my expensive foundation until I can find something else. If you have acne prone skin I wouldn't use this. If you have just plain ole oily skin, try it. You might like it. For the price it's unbeatable. But for the sake of my skin, I won't be repurchasing or even finishing the bottle.

Okay, I stopped using this and my skin was still broken out. So I stopped using it and kept using the L' Oreal Youth Code face cream with SPF in it. My face was still broken out. I tried this foundation again, the foundation is definitely medium to full coverage. So if you are looking a for a light coverage, this isn't for you. I think the packaging could have been a little bit better, they could have put it in a mousse foundation container. I think the paddle/spatula the provide works well but it could have been improved. It works though for sanitary issues.

When you first out the foundation on, it looks streaky. But keep applying because it will look better when you're done I promise.

I have extremely oily skin, and this product keeps me matte for about six hours, but I sweat really bad in welding class at school. So six hours isn't too bad. If this product doesn't break me out, I will be repurchasing. Until I figure out for sure what it is breaking me out, I will not repurchase this product. Hope this helps!!