L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream

Magic Skin Beautifier BB CreamMagic Skin Beautifier BB Cream

3.3

on 6/28/2012 11:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a great product if you take it for what it is. It is not a tinted moisturizer, nor is it a BB cream (as I have understood traditional Asian BB creams to be, I have not used one, I have used the American versions). They call it a "skin beautifier" and I would say that is accurate.

First, it runs dark... and there is a huge difference between "fair" and "light", with "light" being the tester available. If you would normally pick up "light" get "fair", it is MUCH lighter. I am currently a W3 in true match and "fair" is fine. I do believe from using it that there is some adjustment in tone when applied, and it is quite sheer, so one shade would be able to be used by a range of skin tones. I believe "fair" would be acceptable for even very light skin tones.. However "light" is definitely more like "medium" compared to most foundations. It has not oxidized on me, and does not appear the slightest bit orange.

The product comes out clear, with beads that break and adjust the tone when rubbed in. It is quite thin, and very lightweight. You really want to apply this with fingers, to work in the beads. It dries quickly, so apply in sections. It does smooth skin texture, and "give an improved appearance to bare skin" as advertised.. the key word there is "bare". It is not a foundation, it is not going to cover blemishes, etc. It does improve the appearance of my skin though- it looks like I have nothing on, but my coloring is much better and more even, my skin looks healthier, and much smoother. The first time I applied it I did half my face to compare- and could definitely see and feel a difference. My face felt very smooth, like I had applied a silicone primer, but dry (in a good way, not dried out) at the same time with no oily, wet, or sticky residue. It has lasted all day in the heat, and I was outside for a few hours.

It does not contain sunscreen- which is a plus for me. I am very sensitive to them and can only wear a few products, most that contain sunscreen break me out terribly. I can put my compatible sunscreen under it, or powder with spf over it and all is good. It is supposed to improve skin over time with the inclusion of vitamins etc., only time will tell if that is the case.

The finish is matte- which is a big change from every other TM or "BB" cream I have tried. They all leave me greasy and shiny, this does not. I think it is a great product for those who have oily skin who are looking for a product to improve their skin tone, especially in the summer. I don't know how much actual oil control it has, I do wear a good primer so I had no problems with breakthrough, but it did not add any additional oil or interfere with the performance of my primer. It did give a luminous, brighter quality to my skin, without any trace of shine. I don't know how to explain it.. but it did.

I think this is a great product for someone who wants to improve their skin while not wishing to wear a foundation, or those wearing a powder foundation. It is excellent for days when you do not want, or do not have time, to apply makeup. It only takes a second to rub in, and it makes a difference. It may make a great primer as well, if you have normal skin. I found with a bit of concealer and a good powder it made a big difference in the appearance of my skin while having next to nothing on it.

*Update*
I originally thought this would be a good product for those odd days when I didn't want to wear makeup... just a natural "toss on a bit of powder" look. I have been wearing this for a week straight. I recently found a fantastic foundation that I love, yet still find myself reaching for this instead. It not only lasts all day, looks great under a good powder, is very easy to apply, and is super lightweight.. but it has improved my skin. It is softer, smoother, and has evened my color. I suffered with melasma with my pregnancies, and each time it got worse. Even now, years later, I have traces of it and it gets worse whenever I am in the sun. This has made quite a lot of it disappear, and I have only been using it a week. My skin looks better everyday. Really great product that has not been getting the attention it deserves.

on 7/2/2012 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm not clear why this would be labeled as a 'BB' cream....it's truly not. This isn't a foundation or even a TM either. IMO this would be best referred to as a primer. A non-illuminating, mattifying, imperfection diffusing primer.
This was a whim purchase hadn't seen it before and at the time I bought it there were no reviews on MUA. $7.94US at Wmart figured what's to lose.....
I purchased the shade Fair and have been using it for a few weeks now. I am really liking this actually. It doesn't turn orange on me at all. This has a truly neutral undertone. NW15-20 right now.
I can apply this and dust BE mineral veil, bronzer and a lg and have a totally natural look for daytime. (Went to an unplanned lunch a few days ago and sat directly in front of a sunny window and unknwn, young, waitress had to tell me how 'beautiful' my skin was...(wtf?? I'm 45!) I have uneven skin tone that this totally masks somehow.
For evening I have been smearing this all over including eyelids and then just stippling a light layer of a true foundation over the tops of my cheeks, undereye and forehead and then a light dusting of HD powder to set after eyes, blush etc. Really flawless look. Really. I'm not using 2 separate primers now/face/eye/ so bonus.
Some cons are that I need lotion underneath or it looks patchy on my cheeks. The gritty texture is a little uncomfortable but dealable.
I'll probably go thru a tube a month wearing everyday. I even just swipe it on no makeup days because it really gives my a smooth difused, healthy looking complexion, with no transfer.
I use OCM or Albolene and have no problem removing.
I will purchase again!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I am REALLY suprised by how much I like this. I guess because it sounded too good to be true.

Foundations are hard for me because I have oily skin which is also becoming "mature" skin. Most of the workhorse foundations that I relied on for so many years no longer work because they are too heavy, too drying or too matte, which can make aging skin, even oily aging skin, look older and exacerbate all the issues I'm trying to hide.

So I've been experimenting with lighter, sheerer formulations, which do help me look more youthful. Unfortunately, most of them just can't stand up the oil my skin still produces in copious amounts every day.

But to my surprise, this really performed well! It is light coverage, but it still does great job evening out my skin tone and covering minor issues. I have to rely on a concealer to hide major blemishes and my dark undereye circles, but I've always done that anyway, as it looks more natural than slathering on a uniformly heavy layer of foundation.

I do not find that it dries too quickly and I have no trouble blending it as some others have. It does have a *slightly* gritty feel, due to tiny little color capsules, but honestly, it's no big deal. Once blended it provides a very smooth, beautiful finish that is neither too matte nor too dewy. It's extremely natural and pretty.

As far as oil control, I wouldn't say that it controls oil, but it does withstand oil pretty well and doesn't seem to break down into a patchy, blotchy mess. I went about 4 hours before blotting, which is pretty darned good, considering the extent of my oiliness. I did powder later in the day, probably around the six hour mark. But again, I consider this pretty good performance from a product that is not specifically formulated for oily skin. Because I enjoy the light coverage and the natural finish, I'm willing to deal with powdering occasionally, especially since it didn't result in a cakey mask like mess. Just a bit of powder freshened it up nicely. If you are only moderately oily or have normal skin, this would be probably be a really low maintenance product for you.

The color...I was really concerned about the color selection because I am very pale, with sallow undertones. When I sampled the "light" selection in the store, it turned a very alarming shade of peach on my forearm. I took a chance on the "fair" and I'm happy to say that not only is it light enough, it seems to be completely neutral in tone. No pink or peach hints, but no yellow either. I think this would work on fair complections with both sallow and pink undertones.

As far as changing the overall condition of skin, I can't comment yet on that, as I've only been using it a few days. But that's not really why I purchased this product. If it helps improve the overall condition of my skin then so much the better.

Oh, how I love this stuff! I have crazy fair combo skin, with a really pale, neutral undertone and a lovely case of rosacea on my cheeks. I also have some acne scarring, and massive pores. It has NOT been easy to find anything that works with all of these factors! I went on a crazy foundation spree (thank heavens for Sephora, because I was able to take them all back!), and up until trying this L'Oreal BB cream, I was just about to keep a $50 foundation. Well, I bought this on a whim, and I'm so glad I did! It's not anything like a BB cream to me; I've tried Skin 79 Hot Pink, the ones from Garnier and Boscia, as well as the Smashbox BB cream, and the consistency of the L'Oreal one is nothing like them. If any of you have tried the Almay Smart Shade, it's really similar in texture to that, with a super-thin, almost gritty texture to the color beads; but it's more buildable, and doesn't oxidize the way the Almay does. I will say that if you have super-dry skin, this may not be moisturizing enough for you, but for combo/oily, you should be in great shape. The "fair" shade was a perfect match for my near-porcelain skin, it did a wonderful job hiding my pores and rosacea, and has a really lovely, natural-looking matte-to-satin finish to it. For $10 or so per tube (and this stuff goes a LONG way!), this stuff is totally worth a shot - it may even become an HG for you, as it has been for me!

**Update** I think this definitely worked better for me before my skin started to get a bit dry in the winter, because it can tend to accentuate any dry patches/flakiness you have, and it tends to settle under eyes, around sides of nose, etc. Still a good product, but DEFINITELY not for drier or "wrinklier" skin.

on 7/5/2012 7:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Overall I like this.. I don't think it's a traditional BB cream, but it's like a super light, very natural looking fndtn w/a satin/matte finish.. & it's long wearing.. Imagine if Revlon CS was light coverage & looked like skin if you will.. I find it funny it has no SPF, but eh I prefer physical SS anyways & this will work well for photos.. I think this is perfect for combo& oily ppl.. I've not broken out once, I've worn this in crazy heat (100f+) & it stayed on.. I wear "fair" and I'm NC/NW10.. This doesn't break me out at all & oxidize on me either (I'm combo) and I do set w/my HG powder-3CC trans. loose.. I got this on a whim as I am normally not fond of Loreal face products & I figured it'd be too dark.. But eh i could return to CVS if it sucked.. II was surprised it wasn't.. I'm wearing this more than my HE fndtns.. Who would've thought Loreal of all brands & at the DS! Im going to use this on a bride who hates fndtn.. & buy one for my sister.. I'm impressed..

I have used MakeupAlley to read up on products before making purchases for years, but have not been moved to make an account until I bought this product.
I like so many things about it that I had to make an account just to review it.

I should start by saying that I don't put drugstore foundations or TMs on my skin. I don't like that you can't color-match, and I want quality products going on my face. Ive used the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer for about a year, but I don't love it. I've found Clinique's pressed powders to be the best for me (besides Dior, and it still looks kind of odd on my skin, for the price)- so I've all but given up on finding a product that really works with my skin. Occasionally I try a pressed powder, but they always end up in the garbage.
After watching a few YouTube videos of people reviewing BB creams, and showing side-by-side comparisons, and seeing their skin with this particular product on, I decided that I was willing to throw away $10 to see what the L'Oreal BB cream looked and wore like. After reading MUA reviews I was expecting something shimmery and orangey. I like very natural makeup, so I thought I'd hate it, but I really just wanted to see the beads burst/color change.

My skin is combination, but very oily across the nose. My face itself has a lot of red in it, but my skin on general has a lot of yellow, and I'm mixed, so I'm very light brown, but am often more well-matched to products for White skin than anything else.

I bought the Medium shade, and immediately opened the package and rubbed some into my hand. I was disappointed to see that it was VERY pink, even after some rubbing in, but it had a lovely, natural, semi-matte finish.
I was not surprised it was a bust (it's also nearly impossible to find a product that matches my skin tone well), an threw it back into my bag and went on with my evening. About half an hour later I looked at my hand again, and it looked flawless. The spot where I had applied the BB cream looked clear and even- and had dceloped to really match my skin tone (obviously it developed to a set color, but give it a while to do its thing). It was clearly diffusing light, but it wasn't thick or opaque like a foundation, nor was it sheer and dewy like a TM.

I was SO EXCITED to get home and try it on my face, despite concerns that the cheap ingredients might break me out.

I applied it, and set it with pressed powder, and I looked nice, but overdone.
The next day after work I decided to try it on again, and just set it with a translucent powder (the Tarte loose powder with Amazonian clay), and my skin has never looked better. I got so many compliments, and I absolutely loved the way it looked. I have a few freckles (that I love) and they weren't covered, but my skin tone was evened and I was glowing- but not in an artificial way. It looked like I just had really great skin.

My nose does shine through it- pretty quickly. It takes about an hour, but it doesn't make it break down/shift/settle like I'm used to (with literally every other product I've ever tried) an oil blotter and a little powder and I'm back to normal.

I have noticed one whitehead since I started using this product, but I made the mistake of falling asleep in it. I've also noticed that, even with Purity cleanser and some serious scrubbing, it takes washing my face twice to get this out of my skin.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. This is exactly the product I've been looking for, and Walgreen's isn't where I expected to find it. At 1/5 the price of Laura Mercier's TM I'm really impressed by the quality and performance, and I feel like I'm saving a lot of money.

In summary-
Pros:
Inexpensive
Lightweight
Long-wearing
Natural-looking
Not strongly-scented
Good for combination skin
Needs minimal other products to look goo
Non-greasy
Easy to apply

Cons:
Contains silicones
Hard to remove
Might clog pores
Limited color choices

I hesitate to say this is my HG of BB creams but...........when I try other BB creams, this one always looks better.

Makes my skin look smooth and covers all my redness from LUPUS.

I look younger and my skin glows, you can't tell you are wearing foundation you just look healthy.

Lasts all day and my skin which is very sensitive to the sun doesn't burn.

The only thing I don't like is the aroma on appliction but that fades quite quickly and wouldn't stop my using this product.

on 6/19/2013 5:37:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I am somewhat surprised at some of the harsh reviews for this BB cream. I've tried many, many of the drugstore brands, and also Clinique and Smashbox. I returned the Clinique and Smashbox. Both of them melt down into grease piles, and for the cost, that is not acceptable for me.

The others, some of which are Garnier, Maybelline, E.L.F., CG Smoothers, pretty much melt away too, and don't really last long. Some become darker, some fade away to nothing.

Let's face it - BB creams are not meant to be medium to heavy foundations. They're lighter, so if you want coverage, stick with foundation. I'm at the age where foundation does less for me than more, so something lighter like this is good. I'd say the same goes for young skin that doesn't have too many flaws.

What I like most about this BB cream is that it has a primer in it that actually works to blur the uglies, there's enough color to even out skin tone, and the coverage lasts a whole lot longer than all of the others combined. I started out with the color Light, but have now purchased Fair, and I prefer the Fair for my skin. Yes, it dispenses from the tube as a white cream, but morphs into a color.

I don't usually do makeup reviews, but I had to weigh in on this BB cream. I think it's one of the best, if not the best, drug store BB creams, especially since it has a primer in it. I do understand, though, that some might not care for the idea it doesn't have a sunscreen in it, but judging by the amount of products these beauty companies expect us women to use, there's sunscreen in just about everything else.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Because of all the hype over BB Creams, I finally had to try one for myself to see what the hype was all about, so I chose this one. I purchased mine in the shade they list as Light, and have been using it daily for approximately three weeks. I am LOVING this product so much, although I think I am using mine in a different way then most. I apply this on as a primer (for lack of a better word), and have been receiving the following results.

A. Goes on flawless (beautiful color match for my skin
B. Evens my skin out perfectly. Where I'm red on my cheeks, I
simply apply a bit more product, which covers redness beautifully.
C. No cakey or heavy feeling at all. Is not blotchy.
D. Works fantastic with my air brush makeup (Air Mineral). My
makeup glides on over this leaving a truly "poreless" finish
E. My makeup does not become greasy (I have oily skin), nor
does it fade the least bit during a whole day of wear.

I have even been wearing this just by itself with a bit of blush, and it is fantastic by itself! I am very, very pleased with this BB cream.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is my 2nd BB cream, the other one being Korean. This mattifies the face, and comes out of the tube WHITE.... it then oxidizes to a skin color. It's easy to apply with a foundation brush, sort of buffing with my fingers. It's light coverage. I can't tell I have it on and yet it covers up most of my dark circles under my eyes and any reddness. I end up with a complexion that looks perfect - no discoloration! You don't need much - a little bit does the job. It has been helpful for me in the hottest summer we have had in Washington for quite a while - yes, it really does mattify and when oil does finally seep through it, it's fine, stays a good color, etc. Had to retouch yesterday in the midst of horrible humidity, but just barely. I generally avoid drug store cosmetics, but I have to say this was a pleasant surprise.