MAC Cosmetics Ruffian Gold

4.8

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

LOOOOOOOVE THIS!

Got it from a CCO, so price was not bad. It's a creamy lipstick, not a gloss, and gives a very fine, smooth gold glitter glow. The glitter is very fine, so you don't feel it and it just looks glowing in indoor lighting, and you can always add more.

I put this over Burberry Brick Red, and it's stunning.

LOVE the creamy consistency and the wonderful MAC vanilla smell!

Not a gloss, and not sticky or gritty at all!

You could add this over any creme lipstick or wear alone. There are swatches at temptalia and other places.

Wonderful for holidays, but you could wear anytime-maybe more at night for me, like in restaurants.

It's elegant enough to look good on more mature women, like me.

Warms up a lipstick with a nice golden glow.

It's discontinued, but I would pay up to $50 to get it, and I don't like to spend a lot on makeup.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This is like a creamy bullet of 14K gold fine, glitter-shimmer, and I am in love. It will not put you back in teen mode either because it is not a lipgloss. It is a creamy concoction of glitter that glows like a golden sheen. Usually, this color can be found in a lip gloss, but rarely in the form of a lipstick. So, after seeing/reading the reviews on Temptalia, I was sold. I was so excited for a dense, highly pigmented lipstick. It goes on sheer creating a very pretty, yet casual, run-to-the-store-but-I'm-still-cute look. Yet, with more layers, it gets richer, more golden and more sexy. It wears comfortably, and is not sticky like a gloss, but it imparts a beautiful sheen. The versatility of this color is endless. It can turn a basic creme color into a beautiful shimmer by layering it. Or, you can apply it just to the center of your lips to create a juicy pout. Or you can blend really well with lipliner for deeper dimension. I've never purchased a backup of a lipstick (because I have too much lipstick), but I every time I apply this one, I have to talk myself out of buying another one before it's gone since it is LE. Oh yeah, removal is tricky because of the high glitter content so I thought I'd add a word of caution.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This looks scary gold in the tube but applies suprisingly sheer. It tends to warm up and brighten your lips if you have pink pigmented lips like I do. I like the glitteriness of this lipstick, too, not so much frost but a younger looking glitter/shimmer which is what I prefer.

Love this LE lipstick! It is a very pretty, glisteny gold (not over the top glitter) that looks great on its own or pairs well over almost everything I have. My favourite look is to wear it over my NARS velvet matte lip pencils (Sex Machine, Pop Life, Damned) for a bit of added moisture and a pretty subtle sparkle.

I have been using Mac Lipgloss in Instant Gold to try to get the effect Ruffian Gold gives, but Ruffian is better as it doesn't have a glossy finish (which I don't always want) and can be applied just to the centre of the lips (which I think looks a little goofy when you do it with gloss).

Would definitely repurchase...thinking about getting a backup.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

NOTE: I usually wont review anything until Ive used it for at least a month. However, since this is a limited edition, I want to get my review in early so that it helps my fellow MUA-ers in making a decision.

MAC Ruffian Gold is not an opaque lipstick. Its more like a bunch of soft gold shimmering glitters held together by a clear base. Its sheer, so when you put it on it was like putting a gold dust over your lips. Gorgeous.

Im highly sensitive to the grittiness on lipsticks with glitters, or even shimmers, so I wasnt sure if I was going to like it. I was so happy to learn that it was not at all gritty. The glitters are soft and well blended. A+++ for me.

I tried it over red, coral and nude lips, and it works for all. It updates the look of your lipstick immediately, making it more special. For the last few days, Ive been wearing it on its own with just a clear lip balm. It has a causal chic look to it which I love. However, it would work better for me when Im a bit more tanned (cmon summer!).

IMO, Its a great product if you want to update your look without spending a ton of money on many new lipsticks. For me, I wear a lot of gold in the summer, so this is perfect. It will also work great for the Holidays over red lips. Wear time is about 4 hrs, which is pretty standard for a frost lipstick.

Im glad to have this winner from MAC, after a few disappointments with their products lately. I gave it a solid 4.