Everyday Minerals Jojoba Foundation

3.9

Not tested on animals

Mica (CI 77019), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Esters. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

My skin is mostly oily, but ever since I started using prescription acne medication (Acanya/Tazorac), its become a weird combination of oily and dry. Regardless, since using the topical meds, my skin vastly improved to the point where I had zero acne (YAAAAS!!!). So I figured, now that my skin was clear, I could use a lighter foundation. Enter Everyday Minerals.

Coverage/Performance: Honestly, I really liked EM because it made my skin look good without looking cakey/too heavy. I could brush some of this stuff on and it instantly made me look more even-toned (although this did not provide really heavy coverage at all).

Acne: plot twist--almost immediately after I started to use this, I started to break out BAD. These weren't your little whiteheads, these were the ANGRY, nodular, I'm-going-to-be-on-your-face-for-weeks type of pimples. I was going through a heavy caseload at work so for the longest time, I thought my breakout was stress related. Wrong. For months I couldn't figure out how my skin had turned so crazy. I changed everything in my routine one by one - cut out bread (no change), only ate clean food (no change), changed my bed sheets everyday (no change), washed my face more often and applied more medication (no change), changed my foundation - VOILA! Perfect skin again!!

So yeah, I hate this foundation. Hate it for giving me the worst breakouts after a long period of awesome skin. And hate it even more bc now I have to deal with my EM scars >:(

I am reviewing this from a sample I used with the free trial kit.

Of all three samples of the EDM mineral bases I tried, this is the one I expected to like most - and actually liked the least. I have combination (dry/sensitive/acne-prone) skin and thought the jojoba base would be the best fit for me based on the description and MUA reviews.

However, the coverage with this is super light. While I prefer natural-light coverage, of the three bases, the jojoba took the most powder and effort to actually get any coverage to show up. It was also not effortlessly blendable and didn't go on completely evenly (as the semi-matte did). Although the shade 1W matched perfectly to me for the semi-matte and matte formulas, with the jojoba it appeared to be a tad dark. When deciding on your shade, you may want to go one lighter when trying the jojoba.

After finally getting enough powder on to feel like adequate coverage, it didn't last very well. I wore out to dinner on a chilly evening and just three hours later when I got home I could see it had already worn off somewhat on my chin, leaving shine and blemish remainder marks exposed.

Finally, although this formula is supposed to be the gentlest, of the three, it is the only one which caused my skin to itch. It wasn't a dire itch and left no rash or pink on my skin, but nonetheless, the minor irritation meant that I would not be able to wear this formula regularly comfortably.

It all depends on your own skin and preferences of course. But of the three EDM bases currently available, this is the one I would rank last.

To Read all 42 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Easy to get out the door with this makeup. Wash, Moisturize, stipple this on with a fat brush while my face is still slightly damp, spray with rosewater- done. It makes my skin look healthy and more of a uniform color, but not flat or cakey.
I've used it a few times a week for several months now, and haven't noticed any increase in acne or oil- which is uncommon for me.
The color is also a perfect fit. Rosy Ivory 1C Jojoba is the color of my neck, which is several shades paler than my face. I've found that using this shade makes my overall face/neck much less two toned, without any weird white mask thing happening.

I have been a loyal Everyday Minerals user since 2011, and managed to avoid the lauryl lysine debacle thanks to having a backup supply.

Before the introduction of the jojoba base I had been using semi-matte, which I found to blend into the skin adequately well although a tiny bit shimmery, and the matte formula, which didn't stay matte all day and could be a tiny bit splotchy. However I stuck with Everyday Minerals because the colour matched me to a T, it wasn't a liquid or cream formula, it was very reasonably priced with a huge amount of product, and I never, ever broke out with Everyday Minerals (other MM brands have failed me on this). Every product I tried outside of Everyday Minerals was only a brief affair, and I always came back.

With Jojoba, I think I can finally say that I have landed on an EM formulation that 100% works for me. The powder melts into my skin and I actually remain matte for longer than with the Matte formulation (maybe because of the jojoba dry oil?). My skin looks airbrushed with a light sweep of my brush. The coverage is quite light, but buildable if a mist fixer or setting spray is used over the final layer to help it 'melt' into the skin. However, I follow Lisa Eldridge's school of thought of using light coverage to even out skin tone and using concealer only where needed. I found that the best way to apply is with a flat top brush so it can pick up more product and disperse it evenly over the skin - a round-top kabuki may only give you the most sheerest of coverage.

The only complaint I have is the packaging - the sifter is quite ineffective and the product often clogs it. It needs more holes or bigger holes. I would also like to see Everyday Minerals release pressed powders again for travel/on-the-go touch-ups.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This is the best EM base formula yet. it's so creamy it does not even feel like powder. i've always found that EM mineral foundations to be a bit too drying on my skin comparing to bareminerals and other brands, but not the jojoba base, it's so comfortable to wear. The finish of the jojoba base is not nearly as shiny as the discontinued original glo base, or bareminerals original, it's the most realistic and natural looking glow on the skin i've ever seen. Coverage is light to medium, can't really be built up to any fuller. but it smooths over and covers pores much better than other formulas from EM. It will just look like your skin but more even toned and healthier rather than makeup.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've found that the Jojoba base is unfortunately not good for my oily skin. I've tried using different types of moisturizers before applying this product, to see if a lighter one would work better, but no. My face looks so shiny after only 3-4 hours, and the makeup comes off a little with my oil blotting sheet, even though I just pat my face with it rather than wiping. By the end of my 9-hour work day, the foundation either looks almost gone if I've used just a little, or cakey if I've used a lot. May I also add that the coverage is quite light, and for my preferred coverage, I need to pile on so much product, which then just makes the makeup look cakey when my skin gets oily throughout the day. I much prefer The All Natural Face or Monavé's foundations, because they have better coverage and last longer.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have dry skin that tends to sometimes get flaky/patchy. I was apprehensive to try this because usually dry skin+powder foundation=not a good mix. But, every liquid foundation I tried was clinging to my dry patches, so I decided to order the 7 piece sample set, which was free apart from a few dollars shipping. When i put this foundation on, I couldn't believe how well it blended into my dry skin, it was almost like it melted! It feels SUPER lightweight, like I'm wearing nothing at all. I'm fair with olive undertones, and the shade "Bare" matches me great. Also, compared to other mineral makeup brands, this stuff is cheap, and is better for your skin.

I'm new to mineral makeup and purchased this along with the multi-tasking concealer. The two make a great pair. I'm fair skinned, and this gives a nice even tone to my face and feels very soothing. There is nothing gritty or heavy about this product. I like that I can go as sheer or opaque as I'd like by adding more. I will definitely try more of their product line.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought a sample of this in Cream and the color match is ok but there's very little coverage. For all but my red t-zone it looks good, for my redness I have to use their powder concealer over top. It looks ok this way but it still doesn't cover my busted blood vessels on my nose. I'll just have to use something else for that. This doesn't make my face itch like BM does. I'll probably repurchase for summertime when my liquid foundation is too moist n runny.
I'm NC15-20 in MAC.
Edit:
Cream is actually too dark, it might work for me if I tan a little. I tried the semi-matte and it's so much better in coverage and color. It doesn't make my face itch either.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Finding the right foundation is the cosmetic equivalent of finding the perfect pair of jeans! What an ordeal they both can be! Currently I am loving the E.M. Jojoba base in Sand. The color is a good match for me (Bare was also so close as to be almost interchangeable) and the jojoba formulation isn't too dry for my 50+ skin. My biggest problem with (liquid) foundation is getting coverage for the redness I have on my nose, cheeks, and chin without having it settle into the pores on my nose, making me look polka-dotted. I use the Sephora Mineral Foundation flat-top brush and this builds to nice, natural looking coverage of those problem areas. I am really surprised to be using a powder foundation at my age, but so far so good.

12/15/2015: Eventually I decided that a powder foundation just wasn't a good match for my more mature skin.