Tarte Maracuja Self Tanner

Tarte Maracuja Self Tanner

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I should start by saying, I don't tan my entire body. My goal is to match my legs and body (which are frequently covered) to my arms. Now I am pale and wear sunscreen when I will be outside for an extended period but my arms are always darker than the rest of me. When I use this self tanner, everything matches again. In tone as well as level of darkness. In midsummer, i might have to apply twice but hopefully i have spent some time in a swimsuit by then.

The mit did rip, which sucks, but I would def buy this again. My only note is that to avoid streaking, use the amount recommended on the bottle. It seems like a lot and it's an expensive product but if you skimp, you will get lines.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I was a little dismayed when I first opened the Tarte self tanner bottle. The self tanner has a dark chocolate tint to it, which I was not expecting. Due to this tint, be careful as this will stain everything it comes in contact with. I did not find this product easy to apply as the formula does not spread easily. Has an odd scent that reminds me of a cross between cinnamon buns and cigars. I could not tolerate the scent lingering all day, so after about 6 hours I washed this off. The actual self tanner color that I got is a nice natural looking color for my porcelain skin. The color is nice looking and lasts 4-5 days. I would not repurchase this though.. I like easy to apply self tanners with a scent I can tolerate and would go back to using either Whish self tanner or True Naturals self tanner.

So far I really like this self tanner. It's tinted, which makes it easier to know where you've applied product, however when you rub it in it has almost a purple-y grey tint but don't let that scare you because you will end up with a very natural color. After it dries (which for me took about 5 minutes when it recommends 10), you look a little darker which is awesome. The scent reminds me of cinnamon rolls but more subtle, and I didn't wake up with the strong self tanner scent on my body. If you have a strong nose, you might be able to smell a hint of self tanner smell but it's nowhere near as strong as many others. Another thing I noted it when I washed my face in the morning and the water ran down my arms, it left streaks so I had to rinse off the first layer which did lighten the color slightly but not much. I also had no streaking at all which I was pleased with :) I don't recommend you use the mitt it comes with because it's a cheap thin sponge that absorbs all the product so I just stick with some gloves. Overall I'd give it 7.5/10, because a layer of color washes off, the mitt given is very cheap, and the color may not be dark enough for a lot of people.

on 4/6/2015 1:13:00 AM

Really liking this self tanner so far. I am extremely pale and have a new job where I am working outdoors and have to wear shorts if I want to stay cool. Embarrassed of how ghostly pale I was I decided to try this self tanner. I actually had a sample that I got from Sephora last summer that I never opened or used. After using the sample, I purchased a bottle the next day.

I got the big bottle Sephora that came with the mitt. I have used self tanners in the past and tried applying with mitts but it is not my preferred way. I tried the mitt out on my leg but soon ditched it and used my hands. I prefer this method as you don't waste the product and I feel it blends better. I didn't use gloves stupidly at first so my palms were several shades darker than the rest of my body. Use gloves!

Since using gloves applying has been a breeze. I use this on my body and face and haven't had any break outs. I am most impressed by the dry time. It lets you blend it in easily but dries quick enough. 10 minutes after application and I'm in my pajamas. When I wake up in the morning I will have a mini freakout as I notice uneven spots but it is just the guide and so far I've been left with an even tan after a shower. Well except on my wrist once which was my fault because I put my watch on after.

It took me 2 night of use to get the color I wanted. It was still noticable with 1 application though I just wanted to go a little darker. Then I go 3-4 days and apply again. It fades evenly and I haven't had any patchy or cracked fading areas. It is fairly moisturizing. I have been lazy at applying regular lotion to prolong the tan too.

The tanner smells like of cinnamony floral. Kind of a weird scent but much better than most self tanner scents. After it develops I can smell a slight fake tanner smell but I have a very sensitive nose. When I shower it off it goes away.

This would be my new top favorite tanner at the moment and I've tried a lot. Jergens, Clarins, St Tropez, Dior, Banana Boat, etc to name a few.

Pale girl approved!

on 5/6/2015 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

all i have to say is that you need to get used to this self tanner
the first time i used it the color made me gray and patchy and just gross even though i had exfoliated
i tried again a few months later and same thing
however the other day i applied it with latex gloves and let me tell you it is the most beautiful color i have ever seen and the best part is that it doesnt smell like self tanner but like beautiful cinnamon and its just absolutely divine

i defintely recommend

on 3/2/2015 9:31:00 PM

My favorite self tanner by far. Moisturizing, easy to use, and smells nice. Great color, not crazy dramatic but you notice a good tan. I love this stuff and will most likely not be changing any time soon (I am on my 4th repurchase). I have fair skin with a slight olive tone, this product looks wonderful. I think it would work on most fair-light/medium skin tones. This is the only self tanner I can leave the house without feeling like I stink or look like a lunatic. WONDERFUL.

on 11/1/2014 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Unfortunately I think this category has reviews for both the Tarte Brazilliance and Maracuja Oil with self tanner. They are two totally different products and should not be confused.
My review is for the Tarte Maracuja Bronzing Serum - it's the oil with added bronzer. It comes in a bronze glass bottle with wooden lid.

I love Tarte products and use them almost exclusively, so when I was looking for a nice self-tanner for face I immediately went to this brand. Unfortunately I was disappointed and returned it to Sephora.

First of all, it made me break out a bit, just some tiny clogged bumps. I was surprised because the regular oil is fine on my face. But when I examine the ingredients I was shocked by how long the list was! Unusual for Tarte, such a natural line. So I exchanged it for Clarins Glow Booster (which I've reviewed as well).

Color - unless you are quite pale, I honestly don't think you'd notice a difference. I have medium skin, my ethnic background is Italian, so my undertones are a bit olive. But I still need a nice boost of color in the winter. I used this every night and only got the faintest glow. But if I didn't apply nightly it was gone immediately

Overall, this was a disappointing product. Unless I used copious amounts there was no noticeable color. It faded immediately, and I had to use it every day. And then it kind of clogged up my jaw line.

If you're a lighter skin lady then maybe this may work for you. But I think the high scores in this category are from reviewers using the Brazilliance, which I hear works amazing.

I would not try this again or recommend.

on 9/15/2014 8:05:00 PM

So, I really do like this product. The color is gorgeous, smells WONDERFUL, is easy to apply, and leaves no steaks . The bottle is really pretty too! Love the flowers and the little wooden cap. Now, why I only give this product a 4: the color doesn't last long at all. 3 days,top. Even is a shower shave and exfoliate and apply moisturizer everyday. I will shower and all that day Monday night, apply the tanner, go to bed and not shower that morning, apply moisturizer, then go about my day. When I do shower, I won't use a loufa(sp?). Even doing all that, the color doesn't last. I do understand that tarte is an all natural brand and this doesn't have a lot of the chemicals that other self tanners have, and I'm assuming that this is the reason the color doesn't last. But, for the price point ii'd expect the color to last just a day longer. Other than that, I have no complaints. Even though the color doesn't last long, it fades nicely and evenly. I'm gonna say that I would repurchase this, but I'm defiantly gonna try a few other brands before I commit to this.

on 12/30/2014 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This really is a great self tanner! I read someone wrote in a review that the trick is to exfoliate and then moisturize with this certain product before applying. I have never had such a natural looking fake tan in my life.
It's not orange and even if you go a little to dark it looks as if you have just been in the sun, easy to apply, and lasts a long time, well be repurchasing and repurchasing forever.

I bought the 1.7 oz. face and body version of this product from Ulta for $10.00. I only use it on my face because I use Fake Bake Flawless Darker on my body. Although, I absolutely love Fake Bake on my body it does not work quite as well in my face. I wash my face twice a day and I use a clarisonic at night. This much cleansing can cause the color of self tanner to rub off the face. This product, however, works super well! About 2-3 times a week I take an elf flat top kabuki and buff it on my face before I go to bed. If the color looks a little faded I mix it with my moisturizer on my off days. This product produces a pretty dark golden color and reduces the appearance of redness. I have not tried this product on my body, but it works wonders for my face!