NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation - Ivory

2.8

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have been combing through various foundations to find one that has a great matte lasting power, where it feels light on my face and doesn't run off by the end of the day. For me, this is a hit and miss in some areas.

Coverage- This is a sheer, light coverage, but it can be built up to an extent without looking too caked on. I usually use a stippling brush with it, because I find if I make any sort of circular motions with this product, it tends to streak.

The finish depends entirely on how many layers you've put on, with the bare minimum it creates a similar dewy effect to Urban Decay's Naked, but it becomes more on the matte looking side if you've added another layer or two.

Color- At first I was a little put off by the color. I tried to get in the lightest shade to match my paler tone, but it appears to be a rather yellow color. Once blended on the face however, it wasn't entirely horrible, but I think it oxidizes to a more warm, orange-like tone after a few hours, so it's not the most ideal color for pale skin, but if you have warmer undertones, you can probably get away with it, especially if you add a lighter concealer.

Irritations- My skin is usually very sensitive to most products, and with this it seems to do fine, there are no breakouts with it or more oily skin than usual as a result.

Overall, is this the best matte foundation in the world? Probably not. But for an every-day application with a nice easy squeeze tube, it's quick, it's easy, it blends and settles nicely, and stays on pretty decently throughout the day, I think it's pretty good, and I would purchase it again.

personally seems to me very good coverage , nome leaves skin at all greasy or dry , my skin looks completely matte ; even I do not .my skin is not fat. usual, with cold weather is dry . but seriously it is a very good basis and if you have many imperfections is fine.in the city where I live this crazy weather we have all the seasons in one day and make me look good , of course you have to twea...
Más

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I really don't like this foundation. The worst foundation I have tried, and I have tried lots - worse then the true match foundation. The colour match was pretty good on my pale skin - just a little dark. When it went on, it had patches where it looked super cakey, but it did offer quite a lot of coverage. It lasted less than four hours on me, and melted off of my face within that time. I used a primer for oily skin, and it still didn't work. It came off in random patches around my face. After around 2 hours, I had absolutely no product left on my nose.
I have normal skin with a oily t-zone, and it broke off everywhere.
The foundation does not give a matte finish - its more dewy. this is good because it doesn't make your makeup look completely flat.
It's not good for people with oily or dry skin. I really don't know who this would be good for. I definitely won't recommend or be repurchasing this at all.

Check out my first impression on this foundation

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought this foundation because I felt the need for a lighter coverage as opposed to what my other daily foundation was offering me.
PROS:
Good price, I bought it in Germany for 7,99 Euros
Does not feel heavy on the skin
The smell is not bad
Considering how pale I am, I can rarely find a brand that matches my skin, but Ivory worked wonderful on me
CONS:
This is NOT a full coverage foundation, more like medium coverage
Oxidizes after a few hours depending on the weather and temperature
It is NOT a matte foundation, considering the fact that I have sensitive dry/combination skin, this foundation made my face oily after every application
Gets cakey when you use a setting powder
If you have redness on your face, a concealer is mandatory

Overall, it is not a bad foundation,I've seen worse, but it is for someone who doesn't need heavy coverage

UPDATE: If you have a full coverage foundation that is overly drying for your skin, you can use the NYX SMBNF to make it a little more hidrating.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This foundation is amazing for oily skin tones but it is not good enough coverage to me even with powder and concealer. I need full coverage. But that being said it is great for a summer day when you don't want full coverage but want to stay matte. Definitely need the matte powder over the top though. There isn't many colour options either. Still decent.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I don't hate it but I feel like it flakes off and doesn't really apply well. It matches my skin tone well enough and seems to have a good variety of colours.

I promised to myself i would only buy the NYX HD concealer (which is amazing, btw) but i came home with a bunch of products. I didn't even need another foundation but i got this one because i tought the name was really interesting and because the guy that sold me this foundation said a lot of good things about it (of course, he has to). I used this foundation the same day i bought it, it was winter so my skin was dryer than usual. Two hours after applying my makeup i was SOOOO oily. Normally, my skin gets oily after 6 hours. I couldn't believe it was the foundation, i thought my skin was going insane. So the next day i used another foundation, just to see if my skin was crazy or the foundation was an oil trigger. Guess what? My skin was perfectly normal! The foundation didn't work for me. I did try to use in other ocasion but, again, my skin got super oily. I gave this foundation to my mom, cause i thought maybe it could work for her, but it didn't. The only good thing i have to say about this product is that the packaging is great, really handy.

I don't want to give this a bad review based on formula. I'm in my 30's with normal to dry skin, & it doesn't give me any issues when used with a primer. I do like the coverage. The problem that I have is with the color range. There's no in between Ivory & the next darkest color, Nude. Ivory is far too light for me, yet Nude is far too dark. I'll have to try mixing them, I guess.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I too am surprised at some of the negative reviews on this product. One thing I must say is that a foundation's performance will depend heavily on how you apply it and how well the formula is suited for your skin type. This foundation is meant to be applied with a light hand and I find a dot and spread technique is best for this formula. I really only bought this foundation to spot conceal certain areas and it works great for that. Secondly, you must, I repeat, you MUST use a setting powder! This is the case with most foundations regardless of its claims. If you skip the setting powder then you will not maintain a matte finish. No foundation has the ability to halt your body's process of producing oil, it can only control it for a limited period of time. Thirdly, if you are finding this cakey and/or highlighting pores, lines, etc, then you are either applying way too much or your skin is simply too dry for this formulation. This foundation is clearly geared towards younger and/or oily skin types, therefore it will obviously not work well with skintypes outside of that. I am a MAC NC40 and I bought this in 06 Medium Beige and its a pretty decent match, maybe just a tad too dark. Either way this is very inexpensive therefore the risk is low in giving it a go. And once again, you only need a tiny amount of this to do the job of evening out your skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

this is the first foundation i've had that was a bit too light for me. i like it though. i wouldnt say its full coverage though. you still need some concealer. its easy to apply, doesn't feel cakey unless you apply too much. i like it. i'll probably buy it again, unless i find a different foundation but most likely will stick to this one.