St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

I used to love it until I came across LovingTan. I wouldn't buy this in the future.

Cons:
-I have sensitive skin, so for 2 days after I would be madly scratching little bumps all over my body.
-The smell wasn't that nice. Especially the first day of your tan, if you sweat on a hot day the tan smell emanating from your body is overpowering.
-The guide colour looks quite patchy while you are baking so I never wanted to wear it out until washed off - in saying that, when it was washed off I was no longer patchy.
- When getting close to its last days it would become very patchy

Pros:
-Good colour

on 1/22/2015 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I used an entire bottle of the original formula in 2013 and it applied evenly with no streaks and gave a natural brown tan. The only complaint I had about the original was that I'd need to apply two coats in the same night to get the color deep enough for my preference. I bought the dark in January 2014 thinking that I could apply only one layer of this instead of two of the original which would save time and product. My complaint about the dark is that it turns my skin an orange tan. Not as bad as some drugstore self tanners were orange but the tone isn't the same brown as the original. My skin is NC15 naturally and the Orange tint just was too unnatural. I spoke to a girl working at Ulta today about the two formulas and she agreed the dark is orangy and to stick with the original and make sure to exfoliate. Also the dark mousse comes out green so you can only apply it at night before bed or when you won't be out in public. To exfoliate the Tree Hut scrubs are nice, I tried the Brazilian Nut scent and it was nice and took down some of the orange tan.

on 1/26/2014 1:28:00 PM

great non-orange colour but after a shower the next morning almost all of it is gone... i expected something better from a 'dark' mousse

Ok, I've been wanting to try this particular tanning product for almost a year now & after extensive research resulting in fantastic reviews I finally justified spending the money on it ($50-$60 Aus) I've been fake tanning my pale but olive skin for 9 years & never had an experience quite like this one. I applied it accordingly, exfoliating & moisturising dry areas before application. I also shaved my legs the day pryer to avoid it seeping into my pores. The mousse applied like a dream, as usual using my tanning mitt to smooth it over my skin, the colour guard made it easy to ensure even coverage. I put on a generous coat, starting with my legs & working up to my arms so i dont get creases on my stomach from bending down to reach my feet. I use whats left over on my mitt after tanning my legs to do my feet & knees, same for my hands & face after doing my upper body. I ended up feeling very sticky! It's smelt lovely for the 1st few hours but did eventually get the tell tale fake tan smell. I applied it before bed & when I woke up I was a gorgeous deep natural brown! Sooo excited!! In the shower even after the colour guard washed I was still pleased with my considerably darker skin! Looking in the mirror afterwards I was a different shade completely & far more golden than brown... I was a little concerned but still reasonably happy with the result! It wasn't until I went outside in natural sunlight that I realised how incredibly unnatural I looked. I resembled, with a little St Tropez gold skin illuminator a Egyptian Goddess! (That sounds awesome right?) Glowing a deep golden bronzed YELLOW, I felt radio active! It was beautiful but definitely very unnatural even without the illuminator that I only applied later that day hoping it would make it appear that's just the look I was going for. On my trip to the shopping centre before I had applied the illuminator I noticed people staring at me (still hoping I was paranoid) out of interest, I asked several random women of varying ages there honest opinions on what they thought about my tan. All of them saying along the lines of its a "nice" colour but obviously UNNATURAL.

In conclusion although I admittedly LOVED the colour unfortunately it's not for me. I can understand the great reviews & how it would work for different people but I want a tan that looks natural not supernatural!

If you don't mind looking mystical or your already naturally tanned & want an intense golden glow this would look stunning! As for me I will continue my search for that perfect DARK NATURAL looking fake tan & when I find it I will be sure to let you all know! 😊

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This tanner is pretty disappointing to me, I would pick my Bondi Sands or Loving Tan over this in a heartbeat.

Firstly, it is not that dark. I like to be pretty tan and this is just not that dark at all, applying more product doesn't do too much for the colour either so it's not really a win no matter how I tried to make it work.

Secondly, the pump on the bottle I have (and I don't know how common this is) leaked product out around it and I would always end up with stained finger tips which I used to pump it out. I had to sanitise the pump to make it stop getting everywhere. I don't know how well that worked as I ditched the product shortly after so I don't know if it still would do it.

But those two points aside, I gave this 4 stars because although I know it's not well suited to what I want I can admit the product generally is very good. The colour is nice and olive, the tan stays on for a good week easily, it absorbs in to the skin well and doesn't leave messy streaks or anything, smells good for fake tanner and so on. For me personally it is not what I am looking for so I won't be buying it again, but for anyone who wants a medium tanner that is easy to apply and stays on well without maintenance this is definitely a good option. For the price point I was a bit disappointed by it, as it is one of the more expensive at home tanners available and I did think I would love it a lot more but hey it's a great product it's just worth the price for me!

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I have tried many different self tanners and this is my favorite one so far, unless I find a self tanner that performs the same but is darker. For one it is super easy to apply and the tan looks so real.
Pros:
Lasts me 5 days
Beautiful tan
Doesn't smell terrible
Has a guard

Cons:
It is super sticky during the 8 hours of development
Doesn't fade well. (blotchy after the 5th day)
I have to apply two layers to make the tan dark

on 3/4/2013 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm porcelain fair. I found this on Amazon for a good price. I've never used a mousse before, but it was easy enough with the mitt. I would suggest moisturizing your skin and let it dry for about an hour, then apply the tanner. I got a much better result this way. You will have to work super quick during application. It will dry in the spot you put it (this happened on my cheek lol). It does have the greenish guide color, and no you won't want to go out while this is developing. Do it at night, go to sleep, get up and shower it off. I've allowed mine to develop for as long as 12-14 hours. If you moisturize often, this tan can last around 2 weeks. Mine faded naturally and on my legs a little splotchy. Just exfoliate well and start over. Just personal preference, but I like the bronzing lotion better for ease of application. Happy tanning! :)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

As an avid user of the original St Tropez Bronzing Mousse, when the dark version came out I thought it was a dream come true! As I have olive skin, it would take a couple of layers at least of the original product to show up, but the dark mousse requires only one layer and I'm good to go. Its scent is slightly stronger than the original, and application proves to be a little more difficult. I wouldn't attempt to use this without a mitt (your hands would probably turn black!), and you have to move quickly, as this dries much quicker than the original mousse. Also, the dark full size mousse is 200ml, where the original one is 220ml, but I guess since it's more concentrated you're getting value for your money. Although it's difficult to work with, once you've practised and mastered the technique, this product is well worth it :)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I gave this product a 4 because as far as self tanners go, it's probably the best I've ever used. I tan easily, but after a melanoma scare last summer, I avoid the sun and tanning beds. I think this stuff is better than the regular formula... but I'd advise that if you have fair skin, you should probably just stick to the original. It does turn your skin green upon application, but if you rub it in enough and let it dry, it will appear as though you just got a spray tan (almost a dirty appearance). This is how I applied: I exfoliated and shaved, then put on regular body lotion. I waited an hour for my skin to calm down and completely dry. Then I applied the product with the applicator mitt (I've used the original mousse without the mitt and it's seriously a mess. Just give in and spend the $6 on the mitt-- you've already spent $40 on the mousse anyway, might as well make it worth your while). The dark green tint makes it a lot easier to apply than the other formula, and I disagree with some who say it dries quicker than the original-- I think it's about the same. After application, I laid down completely naked (but I'm 39 weeks pregnant so it was NOT SEXY AT ALL) for 2 hours before getting dressed (oh, also, lay a towel down before you lay down. This stuff will feel sticky for the first hour or so). Then I got dressed and went to bed. Wear clothing that you don't care about, especially in the summer, if you sweat in your sleep. In the morning, I took a shower. I used body wash that was not exfoliating and did not use a loofah-- just my hands. I noticed a couple of red bumps on one of my arms, but I'm honestly not sure if it's from the product or not, because I would assume if I had some kind of reaction to it, it'd be all over my body. Then I applied regular body lotion. THE VERDICT: Honestly, I think the next time I use this product I'm going to put on a double layer (that is, after the 2 hour dry time, I'll put on another coat and let it dry for another 2 hours) and see if I have different results. I'm a little darker, definitely darker than what the original formula gives me, but I'm not so sure anyone would notice. The color I got from this product would be great for fall/winter, when I'm looking for a subtle glow. This is the first self tanner that's actually given me results-- I've used the Alpha Beta glow pads, Jergens Natural Glow, and the original St Tropez mousse. It'd probably give amazing results to someone with lighter skin. Oh, and, there's definitely no smell, which is miraculous in and of itself (I mean, you have to trust the pregnant woman with the heightened sense of smell on this one). Gave it a 2 for packaging quality just because the original mousse didn't last that long, but this is definitely cheaper than getting spray tans every 2 weeks.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Comparable to the bondi sands fake tanner, more accessible as I can buy this at the drugstore. Absolutely love the green based tan it complements my olive skin tone. Looks natural and not to smelly. Takes about 30 mins to dry and it’s not streaky if applied with a tanning mitt. Love this tan!!! My go-to when I’m feeling like looking less pale.