St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

3.9

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

on 9/20/2017 11:37:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I will buy this product again, not because it's THAT good, rather because there are few good self tan products out there (in my opinoin).

It does the job. I like to have a pretty dark tan and I would say that this is dark enough, and that's hard to find. It works fine on my face.

The downside is that it fades horribly. I'm always blotchy within 5 days. And it takes forever to dry.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Bought it at Marshalls for less than $10 but the real price is not worth it to me. It isn't actually "dark" at all but it does give you a pretty sunkissed color. Overall, it didn't break my face out and it did its job so I would repurchase, AT MARSHALLS

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This tanner is pretty disappointing to me, I would pick my Bondi Sands or Loving Tan over this in a heartbeat.

Firstly, it is not that dark. I like to be pretty tan and this is just not that dark at all, applying more product doesn't do too much for the colour either so it's not really a win no matter how I tried to make it work.

Secondly, the pump on the bottle I have (and I don't know how common this is) leaked product out around it and I would always end up with stained finger tips which I used to pump it out. I had to sanitise the pump to make it stop getting everywhere. I don't know how well that worked as I ditched the product shortly after so I don't know if it still would do it.

But those two points aside, I gave this 4 stars because although I know it's not well suited to what I want I can admit the product generally is very good. The colour is nice and olive, the tan stays on for a good week easily, it absorbs in to the skin well and doesn't leave messy streaks or anything, smells good for fake tanner and so on. For me personally it is not what I am looking for so I won't be buying it again, but for anyone who wants a medium tanner that is easy to apply and stays on well without maintenance this is definitely a good option. For the price point I was a bit disappointed by it, as it is one of the more expensive at home tanners available and I did think I would love it a lot more but hey it's a great product it's just worth the price for me!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This stuff definitely turned me dark! But the color.. It looked orange in certain lighting/pictures. I have olive skin, so I have to be very careful with the slightest bit of an orange tint (i'll look jersey shore)

I loved the application though. Smell wasn't bad. You have to be careful not to get any water on you during those first 8 hours. It faded great, lasted a long time.. Yea, the only thing that was off was the color.

on 5/6/2015 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

First, the smell is awful and I dread putting this stuff on because of it. In addition, the smell does not leave until like 2 days after even if you shower the morning after. It also is very sticky and during the summer when its hot and humid this is not the stuff I want to be putting on my skin. However, the color is amazing. It has a beautiful olive green color and it is dark- unlike the original St Tropez. I would actually sit through a night of headache (aka the smell) for the color. However, there are other brands that offer similar color to this without the smell and the price like Tarte or Vita Liberatas self tanner.

on 3/10/2015 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Is this for real? I can't live without this stuff! As a makeup artist, it was really pleasing to see the green tint that it had upon application as a counteracting color to yellows and oranges. I got a sample where I work and I've applied it to my legs and have yet to wash it off to see the result but I know it's going to be wonderful because I did a very sheer layer and I can see the color. it's the furthest from orange self tanner that I have ever used. Its on the pricey side but you might as well go to the salon and pay 50 or 60 bucks for a spray tan which in my opinion isn't even as good. Whatever you do, by the applicator mit for 6 or 8 dollars whatever it is. After rubbing up and down my calves my hands are Brown.

I used the regular St. Tropez self tanning mousse for many years and LOVE it. With that said, I just tried the "Dark" formula last night for the first time and I'm blown away!

When I first applied the tanner it was a hideous green/brown shade. However, once I let it dry and set overnight I woke up to a much darker complexion, albeit it being a bit more on the orange side. Once I took a shower, I was fascinated to see that the color developed into a dark natural looking tan---the orange shade disappeared and I was left with a golden brown complexion. In comparison to the original formula, I would've had to apply it 2-3x to develop the color that I did with the darker formula. I cannot comment on how long the color lasts since I've only applied it last night, however I WILL report back in about a week, or so.

All-in-all, I'd highly recommend this....especially for someone that's looking for a dark natural tan once the green/brown solution has set and developed (8+ hours).

Pros:
-intense dark golden tan in just one use
-barely noticeable DHA ("self tanner") smell
-less product needed to achieve desired color
-easy to blend (but dries very quickly)
-tinted so it minimizes any chance of streaks or missed spots
-dries quickly and doesn't smudge/rub off skin as easily

Cons:
-pricier than original formula
-LESS product than original formula
-dries a lot quicker than original so be prepared to blend, blend, blend!
-CANNOT be applied prior to going out (like original formula)...unless you don't mind having a dark green complexion!

on 9/7/2014 1:18:00 PM

I selftan since 2 months. So far I absolutely love Xen Tan Dark Lotion.

Positives: mousse, super easy and fast to apply with mitt, dries very fast, not orange nor yellow, smells pleasant and after some hours the smell is only noticeable very close to the skin
Negatives: it's not as dark as the Xen Tan dark, after 4-5 days you can notice the patches, when drying it leaves whiter creases where your skin folds (wrists, ankles etc.)

The application is a dream, so quick, easy, dries so fast but the patchiness never happened to me and it is not very attractive. It is not cheap either.

Overall I prefer Xen Tan Dark lotion, although a bit trickier to apply it fades beautifully and gives deeper colour BUT I often dont feel like spending longer time applying and then being careful not to touch anything lol, so I do use them interchangeably.

I will repurchase but if I ever find the mousse which does same without patchiness then I will definitely not think twice about switching.

I am a pale and neutral/cool toned. I have also used the regular St Tropez mousse, and Vita Liberata 2-3 week in medium.

On my PALE skin, this produces a natural result. But I MUST be careful with application.

However, I would warn against using this as a first go at self-tanning. Start with the regular/white bottle, which itself gives good color. This dark version is a much more high-maintenance product than the regular version.
Here's why: it is very sensitive to moisture. For 8 hours. You really should apply this before bed, because any sort of sweat ...and even washing your hands!!!...will muck this up. It also does not blend quite as easily as the regular. This might not seem like a big deal but if you sweat at all and happen to have your arms crossed…. you'll find patches on the inside of your elbows. It's that finicky.

In disagreement with other reviews I've read, I did not find this produced any more odor than the original.

I would recommend it as a "topper." Use the regular on your whole body, and apply a top-up of the dark on the places you want extra "sun" -- shoulders/upper arms, decollete, maybe inner/outer thighs for some slimming. It's fussy around ankles and wrists, so limiting its use to where you want the most pop! ensures the best results.

have fun!

on 7/1/2014 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I previously reviewed this product but my review became kind of confusing and unclear due to multiple updates, so I thought I'd just delete it and leave a new one. I first purchased this product last summer when I was going through a self-professed obsession with sunless tanner. I tried a new one nearly every time I applied my tan (once a week) and this one was definitely one of my favorites. Now that I've used it more this summer I feel like I'm able to leave a more solid review.

APPLICATION: I really don't understand the complaints about how hard this is to apply evenly and about how it dries too quickly. For me, application is foolproof. I have never ever once had a blotch or a streak, even on the more difficult areas such as feet, ankles, elbows, hands, etc. It's been flawless every time. Prior to tanning I do the usual shaving my legs and exfoliating, but I do that in the morning of the day I plan to tan. At night, I get back in for a quick shower to cleanse my skin with body wash. I then dry off, apply moisturizer to the drier areas (I don't moisturize all over), and then wait about 20 minutes. Using the St. Tropez mitt (which you have to purchase separately - kind of a bummer), application is quick and easy. I *highly* suggest you wear a latex-type glove underneath the mitt! The mitt itself tends to slide around my hand as I'm applying, which sometimes causes product to get on the back side of it, which can then slide all over my hand and fingers and make a mess. Also be careful with the hand you're using to pump the product onto your mitt as the product tends to leak out a little and can stain the fingers you're pushing the pump with! Please note that the color guide with this product (which is VERY dark and VERY green tinted) will never look completely even as you're applying. As long as you've made sure to blend in evenly, don't worry about it! The more you try to blend and blend to make it look even, the more likely it is that you'll end up rubbing off some product and having an uneven result. This has a pleasant, albeit rather *strong* florally fragrance. It's not my absolute favorite but I don't hate it. I can see how it could potentially cause problems for those with sensitivities to synthetic fragrances, though. As far as DHA smell goes, I definitely do smell it the next morning. And if I don't use a scented body wash in the shower that first morning, along with a scented lotion afterward, I can still smell the DHA throughout the day. There's no hint of it by the second day.

DRY TIME: This is one of the slight negatives of this product for me. It doesn't fully dry on me. I always wait at least 10 minutes after application to get my pajamas on (I always tan at night and would never attempt this one during the day), and even a while after that when I get in bed, I still feel sticky. It's not the worst, but definitely not the best either. I always wear loose pants and a loose long sleeved shirt with this one because the sticky feeling it leaves makes me think it's going to rub off all over my sheets. (Which has happened before, and it's always washed out completely, so that's good news.)

RESULT: Again, this is where this one is a little more tricky for me. I've noticed that if I have it on for about 8 hours before showering the next morning, I won't think I look all that tan immediately after showering. But a few hours later it'll get even darker. Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but this wouldn't be one that I'd want to only wear for 7-8 hours at night and expect to be at my darkest right away by early morning. Something to keep in mind for special events. Now the best part... I *LOVE* the color this sunless tanner gives me! I'm naturally very fair skinned (MAC NC15/NARS Gobi) but I have very golden/slightly olive undertones which allow me to tan very dark in the sun. I get so golden though that sometimes even my natural tan can look a bit orange in certain lighting. This product gives me that brown/bronze glow with enough olive tones to cancel out any orange. This is one of maybe two sunless tanning products that doesn't look orange on me under *any* different type of lighting or lighting conditions. It always looks natural and it has great depth, even in direct sunlight. Once the tan has fully developed it gives me a solid medium tan which is exactly what I want. I love the fact that I only have to do one application to achieve that. And it lasts for 6-7 days before I have to reapply! It fades perfectly evenly. No cracked-looking lizard skin. It also doesn't make me itchy or irritate my skin like some others do.

So far, this is my favorite sunless tanning product. I also loved the color Fake Bake Flawless gave me (it was more of a reddish brown tan, which I also love since I don't tan like that naturally) but it gave me an itchy rash in a few areas. I should also note that after trying the St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse, I thought I'd give their regular Bronzing Mousse a try, too. It gave me a horrible, painful rash (felt like a bad sunburn) on my neck, chest, and arms that took two weeks to go away. I also found it wasn't quite as bronzy/brown and on me it turned out a bit more orangey as opposed to olive. Not a fan of that one. This product is definitely pricey, but I feel the results are well worth it!