St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

4.1

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

I used to love it until I came across LovingTan. I wouldn't buy this in the future.

Cons:
-I have sensitive skin, so for 2 days after I would be madly scratching little bumps all over my body.
-The smell wasn't that nice. Especially the first day of your tan, if you sweat on a hot day the tan smell emanating from your body is overpowering.
-The guide colour looks quite patchy while you are baking so I never wanted to wear it out until washed off - in saying that, when it was washed off I was no longer patchy.
- When getting close to its last days it would become very patchy

Pros:
-Good colour

on 5/25/2014 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was really excited to buy this product, and was unfortunately very disappointed. I was expecting a dark tan but my regular foundation matched me perfectly after the guide color washed off. The guide color is much darker than the tan you will have after it washes off but it is also very natural. If you are looking for a very (I want to emphasize very) natural tan and have the money to spend, then you will enjoy this product. However, you can find self-tanners that provide the same color (or darker, if you'd like) for much cheaper. I ended up returning the product because I was so disappointed.

If you're in the market for a self-tanner, I would keep looking!

on 3/4/2018 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I’ve been using St Tropez for years. When I lived in a cooler climate I was using the first original mousse they had in the one shade at the time. Was a beautiful natural colour. Awful scent so strong. But I still used it as it was the best shade! Lasted a week before reapplying.
Then I moved to a hot climate didn’t need to fake tan anymore. So the last year I’ve returned to a cooler climate again and have gone back to fake tanning. So I’ve picked up good ol St Tropez again and see they have an ultra dark shade. This is what I’m using now. (After trying a few other new ones I’ve seen on the market now). I’ve gone back to St Tropez because it’s a still a beautiful tan however... the ultra dark is not ultra dark. I sleep in the tan over night, wash off in the morning and it’s not dark. It’s a light tan that I would get if I used the original St Tropez colour. Possibly even lighter. So annoyingly I have to tan again the following night to get the ‘dark’ shade that will last 4-5 days max before it goes patchy.
In saying this about St Tropez I’ve tried many other tanners and they’re all unimpressive. I’m still on the hunt but in the meantime I’ve settled with St Tropez and applying twice over consecutive nights to get a decent tan. The scent is much better now though. Less strong.

on 9/20/2017 11:37:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I will buy this product again, not because it's THAT good, rather because there are few good self tan products out there (in my opinoin).

It does the job. I like to have a pretty dark tan and I would say that this is dark enough, and that's hard to find. It works fine on my face.

The downside is that it fades horribly. I'm always blotchy within 5 days. And it takes forever to dry.

on 5/6/2015 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

First, the smell is awful and I dread putting this stuff on because of it. In addition, the smell does not leave until like 2 days after even if you shower the morning after. It also is very sticky and during the summer when its hot and humid this is not the stuff I want to be putting on my skin. However, the color is amazing. It has a beautiful olive green color and it is dark- unlike the original St Tropez. I would actually sit through a night of headache (aka the smell) for the color. However, there are other brands that offer similar color to this without the smell and the price like Tarte or Vita Liberatas self tanner.

on 9/7/2014 1:18:00 PM

I selftan since 2 months. So far I absolutely love Xen Tan Dark Lotion.

Positives: mousse, super easy and fast to apply with mitt, dries very fast, not orange nor yellow, smells pleasant and after some hours the smell is only noticeable very close to the skin
Negatives: it's not as dark as the Xen Tan dark, after 4-5 days you can notice the patches, when drying it leaves whiter creases where your skin folds (wrists, ankles etc.)

The application is a dream, so quick, easy, dries so fast but the patchiness never happened to me and it is not very attractive. It is not cheap either.

Overall I prefer Xen Tan Dark lotion, although a bit trickier to apply it fades beautifully and gives deeper colour BUT I often dont feel like spending longer time applying and then being careful not to touch anything lol, so I do use them interchangeably.

I will repurchase but if I ever find the mousse which does same without patchiness then I will definitely not think twice about switching.

on 1/26/2014 1:28:00 PM

great non-orange colour but after a shower the next morning almost all of it is gone... i expected something better from a 'dark' mousse

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This tanner is pretty disappointing to me, I would pick my Bondi Sands or Loving Tan over this in a heartbeat.

Firstly, it is not that dark. I like to be pretty tan and this is just not that dark at all, applying more product doesn't do too much for the colour either so it's not really a win no matter how I tried to make it work.

Secondly, the pump on the bottle I have (and I don't know how common this is) leaked product out around it and I would always end up with stained finger tips which I used to pump it out. I had to sanitise the pump to make it stop getting everywhere. I don't know how well that worked as I ditched the product shortly after so I don't know if it still would do it.

But those two points aside, I gave this 4 stars because although I know it's not well suited to what I want I can admit the product generally is very good. The colour is nice and olive, the tan stays on for a good week easily, it absorbs in to the skin well and doesn't leave messy streaks or anything, smells good for fake tanner and so on. For me personally it is not what I am looking for so I won't be buying it again, but for anyone who wants a medium tanner that is easy to apply and stays on well without maintenance this is definitely a good option. For the price point I was a bit disappointed by it, as it is one of the more expensive at home tanners available and I did think I would love it a lot more but hey it's a great product it's just worth the price for me!

on 4/6/2015 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

BEYOND ADDICTED!!

This is hands down, the best self-tanner on the market. I've tried everything from Jergens to Gurelain and this formula makes me a beautiful golden tan, ZERO DORITO ORANGE, it's super easy to apply (just a little prep required) and it doesn't smell that strong. I needed to stop going into tanning beds yet can't live without a tan.

You need to drop $8 on the application mitt. If you wash it after use, it will last quite a while but it's imperative to use the mitt for buffing the tan and not getting orange palms.

Ideally, you need to let the formula sit for at least 6 hours so this should be done at bedtime to let the formula develop. Shower and exfoliate and I moisturize my face, elbows, knees and feet. I apply Vaseline with a Qtip on my eyebrows, lips and hairline.

It goes on super evenly with the mitt and you can see where you've missed a spot once it starts to dry.

My only complaint is that it's really hard to get your back covered on your own. And that's saying this as a former ballet dancer. it's super awkward to get the formula on in-between your shoulder blades. But that's about it! It last a week and it seems to fade very evenly.

on 10/7/2014 2:25:00 AM

I really like this self tanner. It's easy to apply and doesn't streak. I find it quite a bit darker than the original which means it needs less layers to achieve the desired colour. It's also green based so it doesn't turn out orange.
The reason why I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because it fades quickly. Once I've showered the tan becomes much lighter. If it stayed as dark as when first applied it would be perfect. This might not be an issue for you, but I like my tan quite dark.
Like most self tanners, it can come off a bit patchy, so remember to moisturize! It's not ridiculously expensive when you consider the price of a spray tan at a salon, but it's more than I'd like to pay for self tanner.
Overall, It's definitely one of the better self tanners I've used, and I've used a lot :)