St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by skin type : Normal
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

3.8

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

on 1/23/2018 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have been using this product for the last 2 years and it's still my absolute favourite. I use self-tanner religiously because I'm naturally very fair and I just find that a tan suits me so much better.
St. Tropez dark gives me such a perfect, natural looking tan (which is tough when you're super pale), that lasts well and fades naturally & not patchy like many other tanners. I also find that this mousse is very forgiving; it is extremely easy to blend, and the dark guide colour makes it pretty much impossible to miss a spot.
I always exfoliate before I use it and moisturize my hands, elbows, and feet; when following their steps I've never had any issues. I've tried many other self-tanners and they've either come up short, or led to an orange, streaky disaster.

An important thing to be careful of is that this product will definitely transfer slightly and tint your clothes when its developing, I put it on at night time and just make sure to put a towel on my pillow and wear loose dark pyjamas. I have made the mistake of wearing like clothes after initial application and my clothes looked like they'd been soaked in mud in the morning, but it came right out when I washed them.
Just a side note, I'm also not that big of a fan of St.Tropez's tanning mitt because I feel like it absorbs too much product, personally I love the Vita-Liberata mitt (even though I really dislike their self tanner) because its smoothes out the tan so easily over the skin and doesn't soak it all up.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This tanner is pretty disappointing to me, I would pick my Bondi Sands or Loving Tan over this in a heartbeat.

Firstly, it is not that dark. I like to be pretty tan and this is just not that dark at all, applying more product doesn't do too much for the colour either so it's not really a win no matter how I tried to make it work.

Secondly, the pump on the bottle I have (and I don't know how common this is) leaked product out around it and I would always end up with stained finger tips which I used to pump it out. I had to sanitise the pump to make it stop getting everywhere. I don't know how well that worked as I ditched the product shortly after so I don't know if it still would do it.

But those two points aside, I gave this 4 stars because although I know it's not well suited to what I want I can admit the product generally is very good. The colour is nice and olive, the tan stays on for a good week easily, it absorbs in to the skin well and doesn't leave messy streaks or anything, smells good for fake tanner and so on. For me personally it is not what I am looking for so I won't be buying it again, but for anyone who wants a medium tanner that is easy to apply and stays on well without maintenance this is definitely a good option. For the price point I was a bit disappointed by it, as it is one of the more expensive at home tanners available and I did think I would love it a lot more but hey it's a great product it's just worth the price for me!

on 5/17/2016 4:19:00 PM

I am SO pale. I use 2 coats and sleep and then shower when I wake up. This makes me look like I got back from a tropical vacation! Mine lasts about a week and then I reapply. Will definitely repurchase

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This stuff definitely turned me dark! But the color.. It looked orange in certain lighting/pictures. I have olive skin, so I have to be very careful with the slightest bit of an orange tint (i'll look jersey shore)

I loved the application though. Smell wasn't bad. You have to be careful not to get any water on you during those first 8 hours. It faded great, lasted a long time.. Yea, the only thing that was off was the color.

on 8/15/2014 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really cant understand the rave reviews on this!! In all my years of constant fake tanning ive never used one so awful. Ive tried every one out there. The original st tropez mousse is good. But this omg.. The colour isnt even dark its this greeny strange colour- its apparently suppose to be green so that when u wash off the guide colour a nice deep natural tan is left. Just no. Most of it washes away. U cant do two layers (like i do with all other tans) as it wont stick in just goes odd. It goes on blotchy and patchy and is VERY sticky even half hour after tanning, the only ok thing is it doesnt smell bad as some. Ive tried everything to try to make this work, but its going in the bin. this cost me £38 and i MUCHHH prefer St Moriz dark mousse which is darker, a nicer colour, is never sticky even 5mins after applying, lasts ages, and only costs £4!!!

on 7/1/2014 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I previously reviewed this product but my review became kind of confusing and unclear due to multiple updates, so I thought I'd just delete it and leave a new one. I first purchased this product last summer when I was going through a self-professed obsession with sunless tanner. I tried a new one nearly every time I applied my tan (once a week) and this one was definitely one of my favorites. Now that I've used it more this summer I feel like I'm able to leave a more solid review.

APPLICATION: I really don't understand the complaints about how hard this is to apply evenly and about how it dries too quickly. For me, application is foolproof. I have never ever once had a blotch or a streak, even on the more difficult areas such as feet, ankles, elbows, hands, etc. It's been flawless every time. Prior to tanning I do the usual shaving my legs and exfoliating, but I do that in the morning of the day I plan to tan. At night, I get back in for a quick shower to cleanse my skin with body wash. I then dry off, apply moisturizer to the drier areas (I don't moisturize all over), and then wait about 20 minutes. Using the St. Tropez mitt (which you have to purchase separately - kind of a bummer), application is quick and easy. I *highly* suggest you wear a latex-type glove underneath the mitt! The mitt itself tends to slide around my hand as I'm applying, which sometimes causes product to get on the back side of it, which can then slide all over my hand and fingers and make a mess. Also be careful with the hand you're using to pump the product onto your mitt as the product tends to leak out a little and can stain the fingers you're pushing the pump with! Please note that the color guide with this product (which is VERY dark and VERY green tinted) will never look completely even as you're applying. As long as you've made sure to blend in evenly, don't worry about it! The more you try to blend and blend to make it look even, the more likely it is that you'll end up rubbing off some product and having an uneven result. This has a pleasant, albeit rather *strong* florally fragrance. It's not my absolute favorite but I don't hate it. I can see how it could potentially cause problems for those with sensitivities to synthetic fragrances, though. As far as DHA smell goes, I definitely do smell it the next morning. And if I don't use a scented body wash in the shower that first morning, along with a scented lotion afterward, I can still smell the DHA throughout the day. There's no hint of it by the second day.

DRY TIME: This is one of the slight negatives of this product for me. It doesn't fully dry on me. I always wait at least 10 minutes after application to get my pajamas on (I always tan at night and would never attempt this one during the day), and even a while after that when I get in bed, I still feel sticky. It's not the worst, but definitely not the best either. I always wear loose pants and a loose long sleeved shirt with this one because the sticky feeling it leaves makes me think it's going to rub off all over my sheets. (Which has happened before, and it's always washed out completely, so that's good news.)

RESULT: Again, this is where this one is a little more tricky for me. I've noticed that if I have it on for about 8 hours before showering the next morning, I won't think I look all that tan immediately after showering. But a few hours later it'll get even darker. Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but this wouldn't be one that I'd want to only wear for 7-8 hours at night and expect to be at my darkest right away by early morning. Something to keep in mind for special events. Now the best part... I *LOVE* the color this sunless tanner gives me! I'm naturally very fair skinned (MAC NC15/NARS Gobi) but I have very golden/slightly olive undertones which allow me to tan very dark in the sun. I get so golden though that sometimes even my natural tan can look a bit orange in certain lighting. This product gives me that brown/bronze glow with enough olive tones to cancel out any orange. This is one of maybe two sunless tanning products that doesn't look orange on me under *any* different type of lighting or lighting conditions. It always looks natural and it has great depth, even in direct sunlight. Once the tan has fully developed it gives me a solid medium tan which is exactly what I want. I love the fact that I only have to do one application to achieve that. And it lasts for 6-7 days before I have to reapply! It fades perfectly evenly. No cracked-looking lizard skin. It also doesn't make me itchy or irritate my skin like some others do.

So far, this is my favorite sunless tanning product. I also loved the color Fake Bake Flawless gave me (it was more of a reddish brown tan, which I also love since I don't tan like that naturally) but it gave me an itchy rash in a few areas. I should also note that after trying the St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse, I thought I'd give their regular Bronzing Mousse a try, too. It gave me a horrible, painful rash (felt like a bad sunburn) on my neck, chest, and arms that took two weeks to go away. I also found it wasn't quite as bronzy/brown and on me it turned out a bit more orangey as opposed to olive. Not a fan of that one. This product is definitely pricey, but I feel the results are well worth it!

on 5/25/2014 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was really excited to buy this product, and was unfortunately very disappointed. I was expecting a dark tan but my regular foundation matched me perfectly after the guide color washed off. The guide color is much darker than the tan you will have after it washes off but it is also very natural. If you are looking for a very (I want to emphasize very) natural tan and have the money to spend, then you will enjoy this product. However, you can find self-tanners that provide the same color (or darker, if you'd like) for much cheaper. I ended up returning the product because I was so disappointed.

If you're in the market for a self-tanner, I would keep looking!

on 2/18/2014 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is One of the darkest self bronzer mouse that i have used. Im already lightly tan, but i want more, that deep dark bronze look like when i came back from my vacation in thailand. I dont want an orangey, jersey shore look. I hope nobody would want that. Anyways, this does the job, BUT there are some downsides and a technique to use this.

This is not a non scented bronzer. Its for sure not the worse ive smelled, but still, i would not put this on and go somewhere. DO NOT USE BARE HANDS OR YOU WILL REGRET IT.USE A MIT!!It can be streaky if not blended in properly. It dries fast which is a both plus and minus but with the minus, its hard to blend to not get streaks. The color going on is DARK and is not the color you will get. because it dries fast and its super dark, the trick is to use this before bedtime then Wake up to a very overly bronzed self and SHOWER.

The color left behind is the color you want. Its like taking a few steps forward and taking a step back. The color last a couple of days. The color has like a green color to it, dont freak out. Its to counter act an orange tan.

This is an expensive bronzer.....but it works and the size is generous.

Overall, its a pain in the ass, work to use, slightly smelly bronzer.....but with the steps i use, i achive a very dark natural tan overnight.

on 5/11/2013 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Great product, great colour. Performs just as well as the regular mouse but looks darker going on. The tan itself is darker than the original but still looks beautiful, brown and natural. this is not orange at all! It develops very quickly and doesnt smell too strong either. Im really loving this one and highly recommend it. I have reviewed a few tanning products so check out my pther reviews for reference. St tropez is definitely my favourite so far

I have the original bronzing mousse, which I previously used. The original works well, but doesn't get my skin as dark, as fast as this version does. This version gets my skin the perfect amount of tan the first time around. With the original, I have to use it like 4 times until it starts to come close to the color the dark version gets me. I will continue to buy this one instead of the original. Also, you MUST use the mitt to get the best look & to not dirty your hands. The only complaint I have is that this version comes with less, but it costs the same price, or maybe even a little more (I can't remember). I guess since this one gives the desired look with less uses, it would last around the same amount of time...but still. I feel like Iam getting ripped off. This stuff is not cheap, at all. But, it is a healthy alternative to getting that nice tan without laying in the sun all day. The best part about this mousse is that it leaves my skin brown, NOT orange. It looks very real. People couldn't tell that it was a fake tan. This is by far, the best self tanner I've came across. I highly reccommend if you want a natural, realistic tan that is healthy. Make sure that you spend the extra $5 to buy the applicator mitt to apply this!! It will save you time & no hassle of having a mess!