St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

3.7

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

Horrible. I applied this last night. The green color is startling to say the least. Glad I had planned to do it just before bed. I washed it off this morning and I swear I still have a green tinge. I don't know how they can call this product "dark". I've been using the Express Bronzing Mousse and it comes out darker than this in only 3 hours, with a much nicer result. So disappointed with this product.

on 11/18/2013 10:33:00 PM

Although I'm a redhead and allergy prone, I don't tend to be allergic to many beauty products. I spot tested this product on my arm and neck before applying it all over, and I didn't have any reaction. However, after fully applying it everywhere, I got hives. It was pretty awful and I had to return it. Just a warning for some of those girls out there who have allergies to some products, this may be one of those!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Bought it at Marshalls for less than $10 but the real price is not worth it to me. It isn't actually "dark" at all but it does give you a pretty sunkissed color. Overall, it didn't break my face out and it did its job so I would repurchase, AT MARSHALLS

on 1/22/2015 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I used an entire bottle of the original formula in 2013 and it applied evenly with no streaks and gave a natural brown tan. The only complaint I had about the original was that I'd need to apply two coats in the same night to get the color deep enough for my preference. I bought the dark in January 2014 thinking that I could apply only one layer of this instead of two of the original which would save time and product. My complaint about the dark is that it turns my skin an orange tan. Not as bad as some drugstore self tanners were orange but the tone isn't the same brown as the original. My skin is NC15 naturally and the Orange tint just was too unnatural. I spoke to a girl working at Ulta today about the two formulas and she agreed the dark is orangy and to stick with the original and make sure to exfoliate. Also the dark mousse comes out green so you can only apply it at night before bed or when you won't be out in public. To exfoliate the Tree Hut scrubs are nice, I tried the Brazilian Nut scent and it was nice and took down some of the orange tan.

There are a lot of pros with this self tanner, but I'm sorry, the cons really do beat the pros!

CONS:
First thing - this has a very strong 'guide color'. When I wake up in the morning it does look very very dark but not in the most flattering way, you can defintely tell it's a bit greenish. When I'm off to take my
shower, I would say 60% of this color is gone. To me it looks like any light fake tan.

And second - this is veeeery prone to getting blotchy. When it's drying I have to be so careful not to get one single water drop on it or either it will make a little white dot. And one tip, do not go out with this without showering off the guide color! I did once and I had washed my face, and you could tell so hard that some water had run down my neck, aaaawful!

You also have to moisturize your skin AT LEAST one time a day or it will start to crack up looking all funky around your elbows, wrists and hands. This has also stained my clothes even after I've washed them, leaving it looking a little bit greeny or pink.

The PROS? I like the scent, I like how easy it is to apply and that you can really see if you have missed a spot. I like that it really does make me look extra dark, and for an evening out when the light is not so bright it is perfect. And for me this price is ok.

Would I buy this again though? No. I want something that stays dark and that isn't so easily patchy. I will keep looking for my perfect self tanner!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about this product. First of all, it absolutely reeks on me. I am literally smelling my arm right now after having a shower and it still smells of fake tanner. Blech. How people can say there's no smell is beyond me. Second, I find it dries too quickly to rub all the product in, even with heavy moisturizer on. As for the colour, I woke up this morning and was like, "whoa? What did I do?" It looked super orange and streaky on me, but after my shower, a lot of it rinsed off, and it's a more natural colour, although, I've seen better. This is my second shot with this product (the first time I was more tanned, so it was easier to blend the colour into my skin), but either I'm really bad at applying self-tanner, or this product is just not worth the hype.

I'm still on the hunt for my HG self- tanner, but for darkening the skin, I still prefer Sally Hansen airbrush legs in Deep because now that is an application that is fool proof, and the colour is really natural, even though it makes me freakin' dark.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Considering all the hype around St Tropez, I decided to cave in any buy it...now, keep in mind that in Australia this retails for OVER $50!

The tan itself is lovely...no marks, no horrible orange tinge. A little on the light side, I must say, but I looked like a had a healthy glow. However, the thing that BUGGED me about this product is the application. This mousse dries unbelievably fast, leaving you desperately trying to rub at your skin causing unnecessary friction. Now, this would have been excusable if it weren't for the fact that this tan was also very difficult to rub in. It took a lot of elbow grease, and I found myself feeling sore and puffed out after application.

All in all, the tan is just fine. If you're pro at application you won't have any problems with streaking, however if you're not, beware of the deadly duo - dries too fast and is hard to blend.

Would not recommend.

I usually use the regular St. Tropez bronzing mousse and I can say that the darker mousse takes much longer to dry and does not go on nearly as evenly as the other one. I was noticing all types of problems with this product that I never had with the original (very dark knees, freckles on my legs, line across the back of my neck). Although the colour is darker (not as dark as I was expecting honestly) and I don't have to reapply as often but I think I'm going to stick with the original once I finish this can.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I have tried many different self tanners and this is my favorite one so far, unless I find a self tanner that performs the same but is darker. For one it is super easy to apply and the tan looks so real.
Pros:
Lasts me 5 days
Beautiful tan
Doesn't smell terrible
Has a guard

Cons:
It is super sticky during the 8 hours of development
Doesn't fade well. (blotchy after the 5th day)
I have to apply two layers to make the tan dark

I have been using st tropez dark for at least 3-4 years now. When I notice I'm getting low I go out and purchase several bottles at a time to ensure I don't run out. This stuff is awesome! I am naturally incredibly pale, like a piece of paper. In Mac I'm probably about an N3, which if you see it looks like it couldn't possibly suit anyone because it's so pale and ashy. I am also blonde so when I am not tanned and with my very light hair, I resemble a plate of potatoes. Sooo washed out and pale. St tropez dark is my secret! It takes me to an nc20 skintone which to many is very pale but I actually just look like a normal, naturally fair person (instead of being pale white)! A lot of reviews I've read say that this product leaves a green tint which I do not understand. I am PALE and I can see a hint of green when I first apply before bed, but in the morning after showering off it reveals a warm toned glow. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because it doesn't last very long on me. The loving tan ultra dark gets me a little darker and lasts longer, however it doesn't wear off as nicely. The st tropez dark may not last more than about 3 days on me, but it wears off very naturally and evenly, which is important when my skin underneath is so pale that other fake tans (like the loving tan) wear off in a scaly and ugly way. Overall this tan is fabulous and I highly recommend it!