St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

St.Tropez Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

3.9

Water (Aqua), Dihydroxyacetone, Ethoxydiglycol, Caramel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PPG-5-Cereth-20, Decyl Glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Melanin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice, Citric Acid, Linalool, Alpha-isomethylionone, CI 14700 (Red 4), CI 19140 (Yellow 5) CI 42090 (Blue 1)

on 1/23/2018 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have been using this product for the last 2 years and it's still my absolute favourite. I use self-tanner religiously because I'm naturally very fair and I just find that a tan suits me so much better.
St. Tropez dark gives me such a perfect, natural looking tan (which is tough when you're super pale), that lasts well and fades naturally & not patchy like many other tanners. I also find that this mousse is very forgiving; it is extremely easy to blend, and the dark guide colour makes it pretty much impossible to miss a spot.
I always exfoliate before I use it and moisturize my hands, elbows, and feet; when following their steps I've never had any issues. I've tried many other self-tanners and they've either come up short, or led to an orange, streaky disaster.

An important thing to be careful of is that this product will definitely transfer slightly and tint your clothes when its developing, I put it on at night time and just make sure to put a towel on my pillow and wear loose dark pyjamas. I have made the mistake of wearing like clothes after initial application and my clothes looked like they'd been soaked in mud in the morning, but it came right out when I washed them.
Just a side note, I'm also not that big of a fan of St.Tropez's tanning mitt because I feel like it absorbs too much product, personally I love the Vita-Liberata mitt (even though I really dislike their self tanner) because its smoothes out the tan so easily over the skin and doesn't soak it all up.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Comparable to the bondi sands fake tanner, more accessible as I can buy this at the drugstore. Absolutely love the green based tan it complements my olive skin tone. Looks natural and not to smelly. Takes about 30 mins to dry and it’s not streaky if applied with a tanning mitt. Love this tan!!! My go-to when I’m feeling like looking less pale.

This is such a good product, it never comes out streaky even when I rush through it, takes me a max of 10 min to apply and can shower 2 hours later and it still looks pretty dark and keeps getting darker throughout the day/night, it looks natural and the green tint on the mousse keeps it from being orange

on 7/22/2016 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I've bought three bottles of this stuff. LOVE everything about it. It is a very forgiving tanner imo meaning I can pretty much slap it on and it'll turn out ok. I do use the St Tropez mitt to apply. Makes me about two shades darker in one application. It does fade in about 3-4 days but it does so evenly for me. $42 but I buy it when I have a 20% off coupon at beauty brands. I will always use this tanner as it's the best out there and well worth every penny.

Lets start this by me saying I'm a serial spray tanner and ghostly white naturally. I have tried pretty much every diy fake tan except St. Tropez (mousse, cream, spray, you name it) on the market and always believed them to be terrible. In one way or another they always failed and not once were they ever as dark or as even as a salon tan. They usually only last a day or two and then I look like I have a skin disease. I bought this the other day desperately hoping that after all the reviews this would be the saviour as I'm poor and can't keep going to salons. I tried it with my mitt after moisturising hands and knees. It smells, you must apply it fast but it remains tacky for a while. It does apply relatively evenly however you wouldn't be able to walk outside with this (scary). It came out perfect. Dark natural brown and even. My hands look better with this than from the salon (I moisturised them and only used the residue on the mitt and washed hands after two hours so they wouldn't go too dark). However, I didn't moisturise my feet with a barrier cream and they came out oompa loompa (but my fault- not products). Other than my ridiculous feet, it was perfect and I'm never going to a salon again. Its also lasted three days perfectly without a patch although I use a gentle soap and heavily moisturise.

on 5/17/2016 4:19:00 PM

I am SO pale. I use 2 coats and sleep and then shower when I wake up. This makes me look like I got back from a tropical vacation! Mine lasts about a week and then I reapply. Will definitely repurchase

on 2/14/2016 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have tried many a fake tan. This is my HG because 1) it looks natural 2) the mousse is easy to apply and dries fast, a trick someone taught be is using a hair dryer to dry it even more quickly 3) the mousse being coloured makes it easy to determine where you need to put it/blend 4) it is dark but it doesn't have that horrible white patch look that most of the darker fake tans give you after a few days when it wears off 5) it is a decently dark shade (I'd prefer it even darker) if applied twice in the one session - I have spent too much time applying fake tans that you can't see the next morning, this one does the job. After using this for something line 5+ years, I have found the following to be great ways to manage it on an ongoing basis 1) when applying, dab moisturiser on your knees and elbows to help blend it in, 2) also dab moisturiser around around the 'meeting areas' ie between where you fake tan and where you don't for example under your wrists and on top of your hands to blend in the the fake tanned area to the non fake tanned area, 3) moisturise properly daily or twice daily after application as it will feel dry the morning after 4) wear full length pyjamas and pyjama top when tanning to not stain you sheets 5) use two fake tan gloves, one for each hand, I prefer the modelco ones as they soak up less product and are softer, and blend with both gloved hands to get it done faster 5) when showering daily, use one of those exfoliating gloves, not to exfoliate all that hard, but to wash generally, it means the fake tan is lightly washed off as it dates without that extreme patchiness. I find if I tan every 4 days or so using the above I appear year around tanned. Cons: sleeping in it can be a nuisance, having dry skin the next morning is uncomfortable til you wash, the slightly green shade makes it difficult to wear it out, it's an overnighter. Please be aware that fake tan comes off when you swim! So if you are going to the trouble of doing this for your holiday and spend ages in the pool or ocean be aware it will fade off pretty quickly, especially in chlorinated water.

on 3/10/2015 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Is this for real? I can't live without this stuff! As a makeup artist, it was really pleasing to see the green tint that it had upon application as a counteracting color to yellows and oranges. I got a sample where I work and I've applied it to my legs and have yet to wash it off to see the result but I know it's going to be wonderful because I did a very sheer layer and I can see the color. it's the furthest from orange self tanner that I have ever used. Its on the pricey side but you might as well go to the salon and pay 50 or 60 bucks for a spray tan which in my opinion isn't even as good. Whatever you do, by the applicator mit for 6 or 8 dollars whatever it is. After rubbing up and down my calves my hands are Brown.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

As I have never not been living on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean .. I have never not had a deep dark tan!

When I moved back home to Canada in Sept of 2014 my tan had since faded. While browsing Sephora the other day I came across the St Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse and decided to give it a try to see if I could get my deep dark tan back. I bought the glove ( highly recommended ) and went on my merry way to give it a try!

I showered and exfoliated as soon as I got home and applied a light layer of moisturizer to my elbows, knees and ankles. I was so shocked when I put this stuff on! It was tinted green .... panicked and came to learn that that is normal and it is just the colour guard that washes off. The smell at first was a light floral scent, but as time went on the smell became very self tannery. I feel this tanning lotion does take some time to dry and will rub off on your clothes. I waited about 20 mins to put my clothes back on and put on an old t-shirt and leggings, went to bed and woke up the next morning to be shocked at the colour development! Jumped in the shower and was so happy to see the muddy green colour come off only to reveal a beautiful "just got back from the beach tan". Not as dark as I was hoping, but I will keep applying every few days and Im sure it will build. I didnt not find this product patchy at all! Mind you this was my biggest fear so I probably spent more time than normal making sure to rub it all in!

Now for the cons: the smell and cost. In Toronto it came to about 60$ with taxes. But, not bad if you think of how much a spray tan costs .. and you will get multiple uses from the bottle. Would definitely repurchase when I run out!

As you wash your hands more than other other body part the tan does fade very fast on your hands ... for this reason it has made the tan around my write very patchy! nothing too noticeable, and I feel when you re apply it will even it out.

Other than those 2 cons I have nothing bad to say about this product! It left my skin smooth and beautifully tanned. Only thing I woud do differently is not put this on my face! I feel like my face absorbed it too quickly which in turn made my face a little darker than the rest of my body! but nothing a little lighter foundation didnt fix. I would use their daily gradual face tanner next time!

Hope this review helped :)

I used the regular St. Tropez self tanning mousse for many years and LOVE it. With that said, I just tried the "Dark" formula last night for the first time and I'm blown away!

When I first applied the tanner it was a hideous green/brown shade. However, once I let it dry and set overnight I woke up to a much darker complexion, albeit it being a bit more on the orange side. Once I took a shower, I was fascinated to see that the color developed into a dark natural looking tan---the orange shade disappeared and I was left with a golden brown complexion. In comparison to the original formula, I would've had to apply it 2-3x to develop the color that I did with the darker formula. I cannot comment on how long the color lasts since I've only applied it last night, however I WILL report back in about a week, or so.

All-in-all, I'd highly recommend this....especially for someone that's looking for a dark natural tan once the green/brown solution has set and developed (8+ hours).

Pros:
-intense dark golden tan in just one use
-barely noticeable DHA ("self tanner") smell
-less product needed to achieve desired color
-easy to blend (but dries very quickly)
-tinted so it minimizes any chance of streaks or missed spots
-dries quickly and doesn't smudge/rub off skin as easily

Cons:
-pricier than original formula
-LESS product than original formula
-dries a lot quicker than original so be prepared to blend, blend, blend!
-CANNOT be applied prior to going out (like original formula)...unless you don't mind having a dark green complexion!