Ion Color Brilliance Brights

Ion Color Brilliance Brights

4.2

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,STEARYL ALCOHOL ,PROPYLENE GLYCOL ,CETEARETH-50 ,LAURYL ALCOHOL ,PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL ,DIMETHICONE PEG-8 MEADOWFOAMATE ,MYRISTYL ALCOHOL ,FRAGRANCE ,COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE ,IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA ,PHENOXYETHANOL ,HC BLUE NO. 15 ,BASIC YELLOW 57 ,LACTIC ACID ,METHYLPARABEN ,ALPHA ISOMETHYL IONONE ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL ,LINALOOL

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I use this on my daughter ) for her medium brown balayage hair. She really enjoys the bright colors and picks new ones every time.
She has a lot of blonde in the ends with some highlighrs to blend. The rest is a medium brown.
I blend the color 3 parts with one part white conditioner for ease of application. If you do not use a conditioner the texture can be quite difficult to work with.
We have tried almost all the shades. The worst ones are the very light tones like rose pink. There was literally no pigmentation or color that showed up at all with the light shades.
The darker colors are really nice . And they can fade up after a few washes to a lighter tone which also looks nice (besides greens and blues which tend to look dirty dish rag color when faded).
My issue is the price compared with the length of time the color lasts. It's expensive to upkeep. The color only lasts for a few washes. And if she goes swimming without a cap it's bye bye hair color immediately. She has very long hair so it takes two tube of color to cover. So this costs me like 25-50 bucks a month depending on how often we color it.
I like the pigment tho when freshly done. It even tints her medium brown hair slightly which is cool.
The application process can be slow because I like to take my time rubbing it into the hair making sure of even coverage. The color should stay on for at LEAST 2 hours. At least. Applying heat to it also seems to make it last a few washes longer.
When I worked at the salon we used to apply the high intensity colors and then use a hair straightener on it to seal it in with heat. I do suggest this method but be sure to use an old hair straightener you do not care about because it will be stained. Currently I use a blow dryer for a bit to open the cuticle and deposit more color.

All in all really nice shades but not as good as other brands like argan one and only semi's. Not very long lasting. The best colors are the dark purple and magenta.

on 4/4/2016 2:57:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I purchased Ion Color Brilliance Brights in Radiant Orchid and love it!!!! It lasts quite a while for me and I have not had any poor experiences using this product.

I know many of you have stated that the consistency makes this product difficult to work with and many of you have been mixing in conditioner to make it a better consistency, I mix in Colorful Neutral Protein Filler. Conditioner acts as a pastelizing agent, and I want my color vibrant not muted. Also, when using the protein filler I am ensuring the longevity and consistency of the color. As far as smell, I haven't really noticed a bad smell, kind of soapy but it's not off-putting.

Happy coloring everone :D

To Read all 86 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The sales associate recommended this brand of semi bright color instead of the Manic Panic and Beyond the Zone that she had seen me looking at. Said it lasted longer. I got Sky Blue and had intended to color my undercut. I used the Ion Color Brillance Cream Lightener including all of Ions Sensitive Scalp Products since I have naturally dark brunette hair that I had been coloring with black box color and as this was my first time bleaching my scalp and I didn't want to take any chances. Once the bleach was on my undercut turned bright orange and I slapped the Sky Blue on to get this really pretty dark blue greenish color. This doesn't stain or bleed nearly as bad as Splat from the drugstore. I figure since this is a semi color from Ion that once this fades i'II try out some of their other colors. I also will point out that my scalp is not irritated one bit :)

on 10/26/2015 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The pink tones of this line (fuschia) are lovely, i lighten them up with some conditioner and get a lot of compliments. I also loved the turnout of chartreuse even though it was a touch more yellow than expected. HOWEVER the blue tones are living hell, they never ever ever come out. they are entirely permanent and have to be grown out. I am a champ of getting hair dye out but this would not budge. shark blue is nothing like the colour listed and is more of a dull sky blue. DO NOT use the sky blue or aqua, excellent colour payoff but it will never come out. also applying the colour again after it faded only made it muddy. it is not buildable. it is also very thick and needs to be watered down with conditioner otherwise it just dries to a rock hard shell before you can work with it.

on 10/24/2015 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Me and my Twin brother have been using these dyes for years. I myself go for natural colors. However,anytime he dyes his hair,or I try a fashion color, Ion's Brights are the first choice. There colors are extremely pigmented and true to swatch. Their pastels are beautiful(I tried Rose for breast cancer awarenes and it was amazing). Just yesterday my brother applied the Orange shade. It came out amazing. He was a level 8 blonde and it came out a vivid orange color. These dyes are amazing and affordable for anyone wanting to try a fashion color. Just pre lighten,since these are semi permanent dyes,there is no lift or peroxide at all. Also being semi permanent,they wash out pretty quick. Thats the only con however. The smell isnt bad at all either.

on 6/28/2015 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I picked up this dye on a whim at Sally's Beauty Supply in December 2013, and so far, I've tried 2 colours from the line: Fuschia and Magenta. When I squeezed out the dye I noticed that it was very pigmented and smelt like soap (I was okay with it). Also, the consistency of the dye was really thick, so I mixed it with a little conditioner. I applied it (using my bare hands) to slightly damp hair which was sectioned off into four quadrants. Then I covered my hair with a plastic cap, leaving it on for about 2 hours. Afterwards, I washed it out, conditioned and styled.

I thought my hair came out pretty well, and since my hair wasn't pre-lightened, I was pleasantly surprised that the colour turned out to be as intense as it was. After the 3rd week, the colour started to fade, but it lasted for about 6 weeks before I had to repeat the whole dying process again. I think 6 weeks is a pretty long time considering that I wash my hair every week.

I recommend buying a tint/dye brush to apply it to the hair for easier application. Also, there's not much in a tube. I believe you get around 2.05 oz of dye which is not enough for long hair. So, if your hair is thick and/or longer than shoulder length, I suggest getting at least two boxes. I've had no experience with the dye transferring to my clothes or bed sheets and thankfully it didn't stain the shower!

For a more in depth review, you can check out my blog post:

on 6/25/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have used many different hair colors over the years, on bleached and unbleached hair. I bought Ion Brilliance Brights in Red on a whim right before Halloween and used it on my unbleached but still lightened hair. My hair is naturally dark brown and was at the time a very faded medium auburn. For weeks my hair was bright red, granted not as bright as if I have bleached it but still rather red. I swear the red smells and looks like strawberry puree. Makes me wonder if the other colors smell like something related to their color.

I recently decided to go more purple than red, but unfortunately where I work does not allow me the freedom to bleach and dye my hair the true color I want. So rather than go all out purple I figured I could do a wash of purple over my hair. Figuring my hair is already rather red I just needed to add blue to it and I would get the purple look I desire. Well rather than head to Sally's and pick up more Ion Brilliance Brights in either Purple or Sky Blue or both. I went elsewhere and spent twice what I would have spent for two tubes of Ion. Right now my hair is not dry enough to truly assess the color but from what I can see I would have been better off making the trek to Sally's for Ion. From now on I will listen to that inner voice and trust Ion because I know it works.

Pros:
True to color even on unbleached hair
Color lasts
I like the scent

Cons:
Stains like crazy, well it stained my tub
Weeks later the water still runs pink in the case of the red color I used

This is the only semi- I will use anymore, after having mixed experiences with the more expensive Manic Panic and Punky Colour.

I initially bleached my hair very light and colored it Magenta, which turned out a beautiful shocking hot pink. The dye is super thick, which is a plus for me, because I hate to use tint brushes and thinner formulas are much harder to apply evenly with your fingers. It's also very creamy and I feel it coats my hair well when I massage it through.

The smell is amazing, my friends always know when I re-colored because I can't stop sniffing my hair. Otherwise it's hard to tell because it has barely faded at all even in two months before I re-color. The color stays so well that it's actually pretty difficult to get out, which is my only complaint.

The colors from this line blend really well together--I've been doing a Magenta to Fuchsia to Purple to Sky Blue ombre for a while now. It's very easy, even for beginners, to blend them and make the transition look nice even when the hair is straight.

The last rave I have about this product is how amazingly soft it makes my hair feel. I leave it for about four hours for maximum color and look forward to rinsing it out and feeling my hair. I also find my hair stays clean for longer immediately after I color my hair with Ion.

I'm addicted to this line and beyond excited to try out the new Ion Neon Brights, which has a bunch new fun colors. Overall the highest-quality unnatural hair color I've used--strangers ask me what I use all the time. Love.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I've used this twice so far, over natural dark blonde hair. I did not bleach first. The first time I used rose alone, and got a gorgeous rose-gold salmon color that looked very classy and got tons of compliments. The second time I mixed one tube of ross with one tube of fushia and my hair turned out a bright pink. The rose faded out within a couple weeks, the fushia is taking a bit longer (it's been a month and my roots are still a bit pink-tinged).

- use two boxes if you have long hair (mine is bsl)
- leave it on as long as possible (I left it a couple hours each time)

I am uploading pictures too for reference. Good luck!

A while ago I decided to dye the under part of my hair orange to go for a black and orange Halloween kinda look. I usually use manic panic but they never have orange in Sally's and I didn't have time to order it. I tried this and I was pretty impressed. It came out very orange over bleached and very faded pink hair. It didn't seem to fade at all for the first few days even with me being outside at a big event and swimming for a week and washing my hair daily. After a week it faded so quick. Idk what it was as I didn't change my shampoo or anything, but it was gone soon after. So yes, it's very pigmented and seems to be easy to apply. However it faded fast and Def had a chemical smell to it. It also fried my hair more than other semi permanent colors usually do. I would buy this again if I wanted this exact color again, but other than that I will stick to Manic Panic for abnormal colors.