NIVEA Sun Protect Water Gel

Nivea Sun Protect Super Water Gel SPF 50/PA+++

4.3

on 12/1/2018 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This is my holy grail sunscreen. After a few years of using the Biore Watery Essence sunscreen, I tried this one out. The problem with Biore is that it's rather drying on my skin and I tend to gradually form whiteheads on my skin if I wear it everyday, which is problematic as the best anti-aging practice anyone can do is to put on sunscreen as much as possible.

The Nivea Water Gel sunscreen however is moisturizing on me! I don't feel like it suffocates, tightens, or dries out my skin which can be a problem with some Japanese sun protection products. I can leave this on for a whole working day without feeling uncomfortable. It's not virtually weightless - I have yet to find any sunscreen that is - but my skin does look hydrated when I put it on in the morning. It really feels like a moisturizer with a watery gel like consistency, but it's not. It's just a great sunscreen with 50 spf. It's not sticky, and dries down after half a minute of application. This sunscreen is transparent and has 0 white cast.

My skin type is combination to oily that is very prone to clogging and whiteheads. I never, ever, use moisturizer as most of them clog my pores, and I generally prefer to use hydrating toners instead. This sunscreen has never caused me a breakout and I usually apply on bare skin before leaving to go to work.

Is it effective? Yes. My face is a shade lighter than my body which is how I know I'm somewhat shielded from the tropical sun (it's perpetually summer in Vietnam all year). My foundations which were once too light for me are now a touch darker than my skin tone.

on 10/11/2018 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I was looking forward to trying this but upon reading all reviews, I see one of the 'no-no' toxic ingredients here : methylparaben....a known cancer causing agent. Do your research before purchasing if you are at all concerned about your health.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really, really like this sunscreen. It's very lightweight, applies very smoothly and leaves no marks. It does leave the skin a little bit shiny, but more like a healthy glow than a mess. The major downside it that it's only PA+++ instead of PA++++. I wish they would reformulate it to add more UVA protection. I love the formula and how it goes on the skin, but I would love to be more protected.

on 5/1/2018 2:59:00 PM

I am the kind of girl that hates wearing sunscreen and refused to wear them because I find the majority of western sunscreen are either so oily it makes my face look like a greaseball or makes my makeup melt off OR it's so sticky and gross!

However, I find Japanese and Koreans does a great job at sunscreen.

PROs:
- non sticky
- very lightweight
- not heavily fragrance/no scent
- does not make me look like a greaseball
- does not break me out
- blends easily

My aunt tried it and loved it so much she asked if i know anyone going to Japan and to help her get one. This product also have a re-fill version in a bag rather than a bottle.

Cons:
- None

Highly Recommend!

on 1/3/2018 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am reviewing the 140g size, SPF 50 PA +++ (white bottle with gray cap) version. I ordered this off amazon with the intention of just using it for my body, which I did during the summer. I really liked for my body (mostly my arms, chest.... I almost never use sunscreen on my legs because I'm lazy probably not the best thing to do). It absorbed quickly, and didn't leave a greasy or a white/purple/ashy cast which many popular body sunscreens (in the US) are notorious for doing. Then, this month I ran out my face sunscreen and decided to try this while procrastinating on reordering it. It felt drying at first (it does alcohol) but only for a few seconds, and with continued use, it didn't feel drying on my face anymore. It doesn't take too long to dry down, maybe 5-10 minutes, and it doesn't feel or look greasy at all. I always powder after sunscreen because I have oily skin but with this sunscreen, I don't have to constantly blot/powder throughout the day. I haven't noticed it break me out either. I will definitely reorder this, and would reuse it as a facial sunscreen as well. I also like that the size is a bit bigger than other Asian sunscreens.

As happy as I could be with a sunscreen. Great price, not a super tiny bottle, nice finish, no fragrance, no breakouts. I know Japanese sunscreens are not the highest PPD so for beach days I would prob stick to Euro ss but for daily incidental exposure I feel protected without all the downsides of the many of sunscreens I have tried expect for the Biore Mild Care milk which I find very similar to this but only spf 30.

Cute packaging, dries down pretty fast, is not mattifying, but not needlessly oily either. It's actually kind of moisturizing, despite the alcohol. Really cheap, you get a stupid amount for the price, and has an understated, pretty packaging. Highly recommend.

on 7/21/2016 11:13:00 AM

This is a review for the 2016 version. I`m so surprised that women wear this on their face: here in Japan it is marketed more as a sunscreen for your body and I only use it as such. This has been my daily sunscreen for quite a few years because it is so light and it doesn`t leave any sticky residue or give you that nasty feeling at the end of the day (looking at you, Neutrogena and Vichy!). I still use the highest SPF (50 PA+++) for every day because the sun here in July and August is simply blinding, so I`d rather feel protected even if I`m just out and about for a few minutes. I am pasty white and with this I have never noticed my skin becoming darker or any sort of pigmentation coming up. Once I`ve even worn it at the beach on one of those rare days when I go swimming and expose my body to the sun, and while I did notice my skin tone changing a slight bit, there were no burns, pigmentation, or permanent spots. Also, it doesn`t stain my clothes: I love wearing white summer dresses and they don`t turn yellow with Nivea.This is an awesome product and I always come back to it.

on 4/29/2015 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My skin: Combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV. Freckles and PIH from hives.

This is the review for the 2015 SPF 50 PA+++ version.

First impressions: lotion texture, very lightweight, applies quite white but disappears within seconds and leaves no whitecast whatsoever, no tackiness/greasiness, but dries a tad shiny which can be easily taken care of with a light dusting of powder. Dries velvety like skin within a few minutes. Albeit the fact that it has high amount of alcohol it doesn't feel drying. I had no tightness and crinkle. I would still at least use a hydrating lotion/spray/serum. No stinging or burning feeling at all. It's obviously also perfect for body sunscreen to avoid the sticky feel with regular ones (not a fan of hair sticking to neck).

The protection isn't exactly perfect as it doesn't protect from all range of UV rays (it has only Octinoxate, Uvinul A Plus and Uvinul T 150 which only provides full coverage against UVB, decent on UVA-II and most of UVA-I but lacking between 380-400nm, I reckon that explains the low PPD), but this is, by far, the only one I can wear very comfortably daily without irritation and whitecast. I would still reach for my other sunscreens on higher exposure days, but I would wear this daily on cloudy/rainy, winter and office days.

on 10/8/2013 3:24:00 AM

This review is for the Nivea Sun Protect Water Gel SPF33PA+++

I love the texture of this product - lightweight, non-greasy, no white cast, lightly hydrating and disappears into skin. However, I am taking off 1 lippie because it only contains chemical sunscreens (I prefer physical filters or a mix of physical/chemical) and provides incomplete protection against the sun (protects agains UVB & UVA2 Rays, but not UVA1 Rays).

********************************************************************************************************

Actives: Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), Uvinul T 150 (Ethylhexyl Triazone) & Uvinul A Plus (Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate).

Others: Water, Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sodium hyaluoronate, phellodendron amurense bark extract, pyrus cydonia seed extract, tocopheryl acetate, acrylates/C10-30 acrylate crosspolymer, carbomer, ceteth-10, sodium hydroxide, methyparaben