4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

This is my holy grail sunscreen. After a few years of using the Biore Watery Essence sunscreen, I tried this one out. The problem with Biore is that it's rather drying on my skin and I tend to gradually form whiteheads on my skin if I wear it everyday, which is problematic as the best anti-aging practice anyone can do is to put on sunscreen as much as possible. The Nivea Water Gel sunscreen however is moisturizing on me! I don't feel like it suffocates, tightens, or dries out my skin which can be a problem with some Japanese sun protection products. I can leave this on for a whole working day without feeling uncomfortable. It's not virtually weightless - I have yet to find any sunscreen that is - but my skin does look hydrated when I put it on in the morning. It really feels like a moisturizer with a watery gel like consistency, but it's not. It's just a great sunscreen with 50 spf. It's not sticky, and dries down after half a minute of application. This sunscreen is transparent and has 0 white cast. My skin type is combination to oily that is very prone to clogging and whiteheads. I never, ever, use moisturizer as most of them clog my pores, and I generally prefer to use hydrating toners instead. This sunscreen has never caused me a breakout and I usually apply on bare skin before leaving to go to work. Is it effective? Yes. My face is a shade lighter than my body which is how I know I'm somewhat shielded from the tropical sun (it's perpetually summer in Vietnam all year). My foundations which were once too light for me are now a touch darker than my skin tone.

About reviewer (130 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

1.0

a year ago

I was looking forward to trying this but upon reading all reviews, I see one of the 'no-no' toxic ingredients here : methylparaben....a known cancer causing agent. Do your research before purchasing if you are at all concerned about your health.

About reviewer (18 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinOther, Fair-Medium

HairSilver

EyesHazel

a year ago

I really, really like this sunscreen. It's very lightweight, applies very smoothly and leaves no marks. It does leave the skin a little bit shiny, but more like a healthy glow than a mess. The major downside it that it's only PA+++ instead of PA++++. I wish they would reformulate it to add more UVA protection. I love the formula and how it goes on the skin, but I would love to be more protected.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesGray

2 years ago

I am the kind of girl that hates wearing sunscreen and refused to wear them because I find the majority of western sunscreen are either so oily it makes my face look like a greaseball or makes my makeup melt off OR it's so sticky and gross! However, I find Japanese and Koreans does a great job at sunscreen. PROs: - non sticky - very lightweight - not heavily fragrance/no scent - does not make me look like a greaseball - does not break me out - blends easily My aunt tried it and loved it so much she asked if i know anyone going to Japan and to help her get one. This product also have a re-fill version in a bag rather than a bottle. Cons: - None Highly Recommend!

About reviewer (118 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlack

2 years ago

I am reviewing the 140g size, SPF 50 PA +++ (white bottle with gray cap) version. I ordered this off amazon with the intention of just using it for my body, which I did during the summer. I really liked for my body (mostly my arms, chest.... I almost never use sunscreen on my legs because I'm lazy probably not the best thing to do). It absorbed quickly, and didn't leave a greasy or a white/purple/ashy cast which many popular body sunscreens (in the US) are notorious for doing. Then, this month I ran out my face sunscreen and decided to try this while procrastinating on reordering it. It felt drying at first (it does alcohol) but only for a few seconds, and with continued use, it didn't feel drying on my face anymore. It doesn't take too long to dry down, maybe 5-10 minutes, and it doesn't feel or look greasy at all. I always powder after sunscreen because I have oily skin but with this sunscreen, I don't have to constantly blot/powder throughout the day. I haven't noticed it break me out either. I will definitely reorder this, and would reuse it as a facial sunscreen as well. I also like that the size is a bit bigger than other Asian sunscreens.

About reviewer (86 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Tan, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

2 years ago

As happy as I could be with a sunscreen. Great price, not a super tiny bottle, nice finish, no fragrance, no breakouts. I know Japanese sunscreens are not the highest PPD so for beach days I would prob stick to Euro ss but for daily incidental exposure I feel protected without all the downsides of the many of sunscreens I have tried expect for the Biore Mild Care milk which I find very similar to this but only spf 30.

About reviewer (212 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesBlue

3 years ago

Cute packaging, dries down pretty fast, is not mattifying, but not needlessly oily either. It's actually kind of moisturizing, despite the alcohol. Really cheap, you get a stupid amount for the price, and has an understated, pretty packaging. Highly recommend.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrown

4 years ago

This is a review for the 2016 version. I`m so surprised that women wear this on their face: here in Japan it is marketed more as a sunscreen for your body and I only use it as such. This has been my daily sunscreen for quite a few years because it is so light and it doesn`t leave any sticky residue or give you that nasty feeling at the end of the day (looking at you, Neutrogena and Vichy!). I still use the highest SPF (50 PA+++) for every day because the sun here in July and August is simply blinding, so I`d rather feel protected even if I`m just out and about for a few minutes. I am pasty white and with this I have never noticed my skin becoming darker or any sort of pigmentation coming up. Once I`ve even worn it at the beach on one of those rare days when I go swimming and expose my body to the sun, and while I did notice my skin tone changing a slight bit, there were no burns, pigmentation, or permanent spots. Also, it doesn`t stain my clothes: I love wearing white summer dresses and they don`t turn yellow with Nivea.This is an awesome product and I always come back to it.

About reviewer (906 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesHazel

5 years ago

My skin: Combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV. Freckles and PIH from hives. This is the review for the 2015 SPF 50 PA+++ version. First impressions: lotion texture, very lightweight, applies quite white but disappears within seconds and leaves no whitecast whatsoever, no tackiness/greasiness, but dries a tad shiny which can be easily taken care of with a light dusting of powder. Dries velvety like skin within a few minutes. Albeit the fact that it has high amount of alcohol it doesn't feel drying. I had no tightness and crinkle. I would still at least use a hydrating lotion/spray/serum. No stinging or burning feeling at all. It's obviously also perfect for body sunscreen to avoid the sticky feel with regular ones (not a fan of hair sticking to neck). The protection isn't exactly perfect as it doesn't protect from all range of UV rays (it has only Octinoxate, Uvinul A Plus and Uvinul T 150 which only provides full coverage against UVB, decent on UVA-II and most of UVA-I but lacking between 380-400nm, I reckon that explains the low PPD), but this is, by far, the only one I can wear very comfortably daily without irritation and whitecast. I would still reach for my other sunscreens on higher exposure days, but I would wear this daily on cloudy/rainy, winter and office days.

About reviewer (106 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

6 years ago

This review is for the Nivea Sun Protect Water Gel SPF33PA+++ I love the texture of this product - lightweight, non-greasy, no white cast, lightly hydrating and disappears into skin. However, I am taking off 1 lippie because it only contains chemical sunscreens (I prefer physical filters or a mix of physical/chemical) and provides incomplete protection against the sun (protects agains UVB & UVA2 Rays, but not UVA1 Rays). ******************************************************************************************************** Actives: Octinoxate (Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate), Uvinul T 150 (Ethylhexyl Triazone) & Uvinul A Plus (Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate). Others: Water, Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, caprylic/capric triglyceride, sodium hyaluoronate, phellodendron amurense bark extract, pyrus cydonia seed extract, tocopheryl acetate, acrylates/C10-30 acrylate crosspolymer, carbomer, ceteth-10, sodium hydroxide, methyparaben

About reviewer (48 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm