MAC Cosmetics Extended Play - Endlessly Black

MAC Cosmetics Extended Play - Endlessly Black

3.8

on 4/13/2018 5:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Me: short, sparse and poker straight lashes that don't hold a curl easily. I like length and separation, prefer very defined, feathery lashed to lots of volume, but the number one criteria for me is that a good mascara has to hold a curl well, and most just don't. I'll curl my lashes, apply mascara and then watch my lashes slowly drop.

This is nice, I really like how easy it is to get very well separated lashes with it, no mess, no clumping, I can build a little bit of length with it too, but it doesn't hold the curl for me. My lashes look nice with it, but they drop noticeably before the mascara has dried, even if I wipe off the wand and make sure I apply the thinnest possible first layer. It's just too wet. Might become better at that when the formula has dried out a little, but I don't really want to wait for that. I like it enough that I'll probably use it on days when I really just want to colour in my lashes, though.

on 3/30/2018 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have long lashes that naturally curl upward, the upper lashline is pretty much double with one line of lashes slightly above the other. I've never needed a lash curler. I really don't need a ton of help in the lash department. I need a mascara that tints them black, doesn't glue them together, doesn't flake, and doesn't smudge in the wind.

This mascara does the first part, it tints my lashes a nice shade of black. I like the little tube. Other than that, it's horrible. After several disappointing mascaras I really wanted this to work but all it's done is destroy my faith in makeupalley.

The formula seems fine at first. It's not too dry nor too wet. I can do one good coat wiggling slowly from base to tip or 3 fast coats for the same result. It leaves the ends looking stumpy and then everything droops. I tried pushing them back up several times over the course of the day, brushing through with a clean lash brush but nothing seems to help.

The wand is actually very long and annoyingly flexible, making it difficult to reach the corners of the lash line without painting my entire eyelid black. I resolved that by bending the silly thing into a curved shaped. It made application much more efficient and cleaner but the formula still let me down.

It stays tacky, ridiculously tacky. Dust and small hairs latch right onto it. I noticed in the light of a mirrored elevator that my lashes appeared to be coated in a layer of dust as well as mascara that seemed to be clumping some of my lashes together.

The real breaking point for me was the fourth trial, I walked the dog in the wind for 10 minutes. It left black tears running down my face. If Cover Girl mascaras can stay on my damn eyelashes all through winter then MAC should be able to make a mascara that can deal with a bit of wind. I hate this mascara and I've never hated a mascara before. Back to MAC indeed.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Favourite mascara - does not move, flake, smudge and gives beautiful lashes. Can be removed with my normal face wash, no waterproof eye makeup remover needed. The only drawback is the price.

on 4/10/2015 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my ultimate, go-to product. I always have atleast two in my kit. Holy grail item for sure.

The formula is a clay base so once it dries it really stays in place. It doesn't flake, smudge or get clumpy. I love letting it dry just a touch and then adding a quick second layer to really bulk it up and add volume. I have oily skin and long, curly lashes so I have had a lot of trouble in the past with smudging but not with this mascara!

The brush is the perfect size! It is very thin and long. It works wonderfully for those with thin lashes. The tiny brush can really reach in between each and every lash and coat it. If you can't seem to fall in love with it for your top lashes then try it on your bottom lashes. It's amazing!

I have tried many mascaras in the past ( MAC's zoom lash, haute&naughty, In Extreme dimension ... Diorshow, Buxom) and this one is by far my favourite. Honestly $20 (Canadian) for a mascara is not that much these days. Especially compared at Diors $35-$45 mascaras and typical drugstore mascaras coming in at $10-$15.

I don't understand the negative reviews. Anyways... This is absolutely perfect for your bottom lashes! It separates and lengthens. The wand makes it so easy to really get into your lashes! I also use this for my top lashes, but I always layer it with something like MAC mascara in Plushblack after. I've never had any problems with it flaking throughout the day. I've also never had any problems with washing it off! Definitely will keep buying.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I'm sorry but no.Why does MAC keep making such horrible mascaras? The only good and descent mascara I had used from MAC was Studio Fix and it was discontinued.
This didn't work for me.I was so excited to buy it because I kept reading all these rave reviews about it and I thought why not?-despite my traumatic experiences with other MAC mascaras (haute and naughty).
At first the packaging is really cute and reminds me of summer.The wand is quite small and I thought small therefore more handy.But no.The brush is so freakishly thin and tiny -not to mention toooo hard- that it is not so easy to handle and when applied it does not volumize my lashes at all.Not just a little bit.I have really long and thick eyelashes but they're straight and I need a mascara that gives me lots of volume.This did nothing except coating my lashes black.The only good thing about it is the rich black colour.My eyelashes are blonde so I need a good black mascara for them to show up otherwise it looks like I have none.
No more MAC mascaras for me.

on 6/14/2014 10:26:00 PM

I liked this mascara until I had to take it off.
The woman at the Macy's counter told me this is a tube mascara. Unlike other tubing mascara, this did not come off in tubes or flakes. Instead when I washed with my usual cleanser, it smudged under my eyes and stained the skin there. I had to dig out an oil-based makeup remover to get it off. Even with the oil, I had to really scrub under my eyes to get it off.
Also, unlike other tubing mascara, this is not at all waterproof or water resistant. I ran through a sprinkler and got a few drops of water on my face and the MAC mascara ran under my eyes. I could go swimming with my Blinc and Clinique tubing mascaras and they didn't come off.
I will stick to mascaras that are truly tube mascaras--that come off in warm water and wash away with no scrubbing.
Due to the difficult removal issues, I will be throwing this tube out. What a waste of $16.

on 5/20/2014 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Without a doubt my favorite mascara! I use this almost every day and have been for about four months. I love the way this applies, very very rarely clumps and never looks like you have too much on. I have fairly long lashes and this emphasises them beautifully without a false lash effect, which is something i prefer to avoid. Great, narrow brush so easy to apply with precision without getting it all over your face. Will happily repurchase.

on 2/3/2014 5:41:00 PM

I just started using this mascara so I may have to update at some point. This seems to be a very good mascara. It gives nice definition, decent length, and a big plus for me, no clumps. What really impressed me is that after 6 or 7 hours of wear, there was NOT ONE flake.. Flakes are really a pet peeve of mine. The true test will be after I have this for a couple of weeks because I have been disappointed in the past with other mascaras that work great at first and then after a couple of weeks of use the formula gets dry and you get flakes. I will update after a couple of weeks, so far so good.

Update 5/31/2014: Great mascara.. holds up well unlike other mascaras that dry out after several weeks of use. Purchasing again.

on 8/7/2013 10:39:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I went through hundreds of mascaras over the last couple of years, none of the lasting 30 mins and most of them ending up a mess under my eye! so guess what! I had enough, and I stopped wearing mascara, full stop! then one day last week I strolled into Mac looking for a lip pencil and happened to mention to the salesgirl I had given up on Mascara, she then told me about " Extended Play" I let her apply it on, and Wow! I had what looked like a full set of falsies, i didn't purchase it there, I said I would see how it lasted throughout the day! to cut a long story short, It didn't budge all day, my eyelashes looked like they grew a foot, and the next morning the mascara was till sitting perfectly in place, with not one black smudge anywhere to be seen! needless to say I couldn't run back fast enough to Mac to purchase the best mascara ever!