no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

6 years ago

The first blast of L'Eau Froide is mentholated, quirky, and sharp. It's great on a hot day! Next comes a much sweeter interlude of frankincense and white musk. There's a little soapiness, and a tiny touch of aldehydes. Then it settles down into what I call "laundry musk". After about 3 hours, it's pretty well gone, but lasts much longer on fabric. In addition, the interesting top and middle notes last much longer on fabric than on skin. I've taken off one lippie because the longevity on skin is rather poor, but overall, it's one of Serge Lutens' best "cold" perfumes (along with Gris Clair, Encens et Lavande, De Profundis, and Bas de Soie). I strongly prefer it to the original L'Eau.

About reviewer (61 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

7 years ago

L'Eau Froide is the incense version of the high-end original laundry clean L'Eau Serge Lutens. I find it more complex and interesting. The scent comes off as clean and refreshing, also has a great pristine feel to it.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinDry

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

8 years ago

I'm not sure what happened w/the previous reviewer. I've sampled this on several occasions from different retailers and it's anything but a light scent imo. My only complaint is that it seems to lean too far masculine but I really do love the smell (fresh but grounded, a little difficult to describe). That being said I've yet to try it on my skin but it's still going strong on a blotter that I've had for days. Will update when I do get a chance to sample properly...

About reviewer (178 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

8 years ago

UPDATE: Ok, I waited two weeks before I wrote an update, because I want to be as fair as I can. I'm glad to say the situation has greatly improved (maybe there was something wrong with my nose when I just got this - maybe I was drunk - whatever). I've been wearing this on and off for two weeks and I can actually smell it on me now. What's more, people around me can smelling it (and no, I'm not bathing in it; it's too expensive). I also can smell it on my clothes the day after. It's still not nearly as lasting as I want my scents to be, but it is definitely an improvement. I can now say I enjoy it. I upped it to 4 lippies because I don't have a 3.5 option. I also changed the re-purchase thingy to 'Yes.' I feel better recommending it now. If you're not into the ultra-sweet,- ultra-"young" flowery-fruity scents, try this. It IS beautiful. ----- Hubby gave me this as anniversary present and I was over the moon because I am a huge fan of Serge Lutens. So imagine my devastation when I sprayed it on ... and nothing. No, really. I am not kidding you. The scent disappeared before it dried on my skin (and my skin is usually quite receptive to scents ... when they're done properly). I couldn't believe it. The whiff I got was delightful. This is similar to Voyage d'Hermes (one of my faves) in that it is a fresh, lovely, invigorating summer scent, without the annoyingly repetitive citrus notes, so pervasive in 99% of summer scents, HE or LE. But the staying power leaves everything to be desired. I literally have to hose myself down with this if I want it to last anything. And at the price they ask for it (hubby got me the large bottle, bless him) is just ridiculous. Oh, and the return policies suck big time, too. Can't return scents if the bottle has been opened (well, if somebody here knows a way to judge a scent and how it reacts on one's skin w/o opening the bottle, please let me know). They claim "this helps them maintain strict quality control guidelines, and ensures that every fragrance shipped is in 100% original condition," if you please. "Re-shipped" is what I guess they have in mind. Saddle an unsuspecting buyer with the same bottle rejected by a previous customer (at an exorbitant price). It's easier than taking customer dissatisfaction directly to the company. As I said, I adore SL (I have several of his scents), but he's not God. He flunks ti now, and then, like all human beings, and he should know about it. I suppose I will be told by the usual helpful crowd that I should have sampled it first. Well, I couldn't. It was a surprise gift from hubby. One doesn't sample surprises. The very idea is an oxymoron. The only reason for this rant is that I want it to be a warning to others. If you are interested in this scent (and it IS lovely), please sample it first and you make sure you are truly satisfied with it before you shell out the money. I hope you have better luck than I.

About reviewer (702 reviews)

Age56 & Over