Sephora Microsmooth Foundation Powder

Sephora  Microsmooth Foundation Powder
Microsmooth Foundation PowderMicrosmooth Foundation Powder

4.3

Mica, Talc, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Dimethicone, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), Isopropyl Palmitate, Polysorbate 20, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Isohexadecane, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Lauroyl Lysine, Coral Powder, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 80, Hexylene Glycol, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), Nylon-12, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Oleate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol

I've gone through three of these and I really like it! It's a smooth non gritty or chalky baked powder foundation that gives a natural look to the skin. Doesn't have any annoying shimmer or sparkle and I don't notice any scent to it at all. If you are looking for full coverage, this is not it but I think it's perfect for the days I want my skin to look smooth and even without having to use liquid foundation.

on 7/30/2016 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I absolutely love this powder. It was suggested to me by the guy at sephora. I was very skeptical to buy it to be honest, but I have tried so many powders in many different brands, I thought what the heyyyyy. To my pleasant surprise, this has been the best powder I have ever tried. It my HG powder. It has great coverage, yet it's light weight and you can never over do it. I love that it is not expensive at all, and it comes in a cute little package. I will keep repurchasing and will not switch to any other powder ever. It sets my foundation perfectly, and since I'm an oily girl, as I start breaking down with oil during the day I use my blotting papers and then my powder and it refreshes my face. In this Texas heat, that says a lot.

Love using this powder to set my makeup. I bought the "Beige" color and it matches perfectly with my skin. Cost was $22.00. The microsmooth foundation powders looks extremely natural, not cakey at all. I love that it is infused with minerals, green tea extract and mineral water.

on 6/19/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been looking at this for a while, and I finally bought it - and I was very pleased with its silky texture and smooth coverage. It covers what I want it to (basically, just evening out some red and discolored spots), but it didn't look or feel heavy. And it wears really well. I got the lightest color, and it's not a bad match - perhaps a little too yellow for my cool-toned skin, but manageable enough. Even in warm weather, this has still looked pretty good at the end of the day, without any extra powdering or blotting. (I did brush some loose powder over it in the morning, but not a lot.)

But! I've had a few breakouts in odd spots - on my cheeks and forehead, where I don't usually have any problems - and this is the only new product I've been using. And it makes an unholy mess of my bathroom counters. Powder everywhere!

So, I'm torn. It looks good on, but it causes me to break out. I had hoped it would work out, and it might be fine if I use it as a setting powder over another foundation (so it's not coming into direct contact with my skin). But that kind of defeats the purpose of something with such a light, fine texture!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Really really happy with this. I think it could even be HG status! I went into Sephora asking for a powder to set my makeup without looking cakey and I got this gem. It feels like a very silky fine powder and just looks so natural, it is neither matt nor dewy but gives skin a beautiful luminous finish. There is no cakeiness to it. Today I tried applying it by itself and it really enhanced my skin. Great for dry skin. A mirror in the packaging would've been great but oh well that's life. Also I like how it sort of domes out so you do get more product for this resonably priced powder. Will definitely be buying this again.

on 3/27/2016 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I was using Mac's studio fix before this and heard that this was a dupe for that, so I decided to try it. And to be honest my loyalty has shifted because I like this better. This powder is light, breathable and feels comfortable on the skin, which is why I love it so much. It gives the skin a natural no-makeup look and doesn't turn cakey no matter how much you layer on. It's marketed as a powder foundation but I wouldn't call it that since the coverage is barely even medium, at best. This isn't an issue to me but I would think that it would be, for those who are looking for something that would hide their blemishes. I have to add that I use this powder with a sponge since I don't use any base such as primer or liquid foundation for my everyday makeup routine. I usually touch up my t-zone area after about 5 hours.

Also, one thing I totally dislike about this product is the fact that it doesn't come with a mirror and a sponge like the Mac SF and Sephora 8HR. I love this product, but I do wish it came with a mirror and a sponge/sponge compartment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Not great, just ok. It doesn't cover well first of all. You have to layer and layer and layer to get any coverage. Takes a while. It's pretty drying. The finish is decent, but since I have melasma, I have to use regular foundation over that and then put this on top. Not really enjoying using two foundations for coverage. It's also very messy. The domed powder gets all over when you swirl your brush over it. All in all, I haven't loved using it and wouldn't buy it again.

on 1/31/2016 6:27:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

October 2016: I re-bought this and I've been having a much easier time with it, not sure why. No migrating into pores, coverage ranges from medium to heavy. I'm so glad someone is making a non-translucent powder pale AND NEUTRAL enough for me.

Original review 1/31/2016
I really wanted to love this (good reviews! light and neutral enough for me! nice texture! luminous finish!) and I do, but I had to work at it.

I bought it to use for setting. The first time I tried it I found that it migrated very quickly into my pores and undereye lines, and although from a distance it looked like my foundation was more even than usual for longer than usual, closeup it was a patchy pore-speckled mess. Then I tried the Wayne Goss method of powder under foundation. That went badly. We won't speak of it.

I finally cracked it by the unconventional-for-me step of putting my moisturizer on OVER my sunscreen (My thinking was always that my sunscreen is thick and greasy so a. why would I need an additional moisturizer and b. wouldn't that just make a terrible slick mess? Wrong on both counts, apparently). Then Skin Food Peach Sake Serum as a primer, and my foundation. Finally, I applied the Sephora powder by gently patting (not brushing) it on with a fluffy powder brush, and using my damp Beauty Blender to roll-and-press it in. After contour and blush I use a fine spray of rosewater to set.

Results, everything I hoped for: pores minimized, some added moderate coverage, glowy natural finish. For how long the compact will last at this rate, it's no steal but I think the price is okay. My only real criticism is the packaging, which is inconvenient because it has to be held/steadied with one hand due to a lid that doesn't open 180*.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this about two years ago because I wanted to compare it to Mac MSF. It's not quite an exact dupe, but it comes pretty close. When placed over BB Cream, it gives my skin a flawless look (I don't need much coverage because my skin is pretty even and clear). It lasts all day but it smells a little gross.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I love the idea of MAC MSF and bought it many years ago. However, it broke me out. I've been hearing buzz lately that this is a dupe for it so I had to check it out. I was happy to find out this doesn't contain potential irritating ingredients like bismuth. The more I use it, the more I'm really starting to love it. This is marketed as a foundation however I think it's too sheer for a primary foundation. If you apply this with a cosmetic sponge, it will build to medium coverage though. I like using a big powder brush and using this as my setting powder. It does have that slight glowing blur finish that MAC MSF gives but I honestly wouldn't say it is an exact dupe though but they are very similar.

Shades: All shades in the medium to tan category run very warm and almost orange. I wish there was a neutral shade in the mix. Shade #25 Beige was too light so I got #30 Sand. #30 Sand is a nice match but not perfect. #35 Bronze (the next darker shade after Sand) is straight up orange on me. For reference, I'm NC40 in MAC. Sephora has eight shades all together.

Formula: This is a baked powder and very smooth to the touch. It comes in a traditional domed baked format. It is soft and finely milled so a lot of product kicks up when you swirl your brush in it.

Smell: Yes, this must be mentioned. The best way to describe the scent is fish farts. If a fish could fart, this is exactly what it would smell like. Man, I don't know but I'm very put off by the scent of this. Thank Cod the scent doesn't linger or else I would have to treat this like trout and throw it out!

Reactions: None so yes, I will be repurchasing this.
Price: $22.