Sephora Microsmooth Foundation Powder

Sephora  Microsmooth Foundation Powder
Microsmooth Foundation PowderMicrosmooth Foundation Powder

4.3

Mica, Talc, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Dimethicone, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), Isopropyl Palmitate, Polysorbate 20, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Isohexadecane, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Lauroyl Lysine, Coral Powder, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 80, Hexylene Glycol, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), Nylon-12, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Oleate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol

I've been using this for about 2 months and I absolutely LOVE it. It's almost completely identical to Mac's Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in formula, overall finish, and texture. I love Mac's MSFN and I have it in Medium Plus for my NC 30 (W4 in True Match) skintone but the MSFNs are really neutral toned. They are very forgiving though in that they meld to your skintone whether your cool or warm undertoned; nonetheless, I like a strong golden/yellow in my powders and foundations so went hunting for a dupe that has more yellow in it.

I have two of the Microsmooth powders: "Beige" and "Sand". Beige is when I'm NC 25-30 in winter and it has a strong yellow in it. Sand is when I'm fake tanning or have some sun and around a NC 30-35. It doesn't have as much yellow as the Beige but it's still more yellow than the Mac MSFN Medium Plus. Both the Beige and Sand are very forgiving and honestly I can wear both interchangeably with very subtle differences in color.

The Sephora brand is $22 and you get less than the Mac MSFN ($32) so it's really the same price per gram. I just love Microsmooth because it's light enough to use as a setting powder but also provides medium coverage on its own. I use a dense powder brush to buff into moisturized skin. It has a sheen to it that's very pretty - not matte or flat, but like real skin. There's also green tea extract, jojoba oil, and coral extract in it to soothe the skin - good to know.

I'm probably going to get the next 2 shades down, "Tan", to use as a bronzer. They are so good!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm really torn regarding this product. On one hand it is very glowy and has a good colour match, on the other hand it is really visible on my skin while not providing any coverage! It highlights any dry patches and skin structure, my pores seem to be the size of Icelandic geysers even when I put this on top of my foundation. Plus (or rather a minus) I have impression it does not set makeup at all and transfers.

I use sunscreen every day and a combo of this powder and glow from the sunscreen makes a lethal combination screaming a greasy, shiny forehead and makeup sliding off mid day. It is very similar to Hourglass powders, it has the same baked formula and it kicks a lot of powder dust during application.

The only things that I really like about it is... the packaging, the fact that it does not contain any silly mirror or a sponge compartment and it is pleasantly domed. Also the price is to bad for the amount of product. I do like Spehora's products design, there is no faffing about, they are functional, good quality and pleasant to use. I use it with their brush as well and I think it would be a really heavy, visible powder if used with a sponge.

However, I think there are better powders out there, even from L'Oreal or if yo are a spindrift like me, from NARS or Chanel.

I've gone through three of these and I really like it! It's a smooth non gritty or chalky baked powder foundation that gives a natural look to the skin. Doesn't have any annoying shimmer or sparkle and I don't notice any scent to it at all. If you are looking for full coverage, this is not it but I think it's perfect for the days I want my skin to look smooth and even without having to use liquid foundation.

on 7/30/2016 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I absolutely love this powder. It was suggested to me by the guy at sephora. I was very skeptical to buy it to be honest, but I have tried so many powders in many different brands, I thought what the heyyyyy. To my pleasant surprise, this has been the best powder I have ever tried. It my HG powder. It has great coverage, yet it's light weight and you can never over do it. I love that it is not expensive at all, and it comes in a cute little package. I will keep repurchasing and will not switch to any other powder ever. It sets my foundation perfectly, and since I'm an oily girl, as I start breaking down with oil during the day I use my blotting papers and then my powder and it refreshes my face. In this Texas heat, that says a lot.

Love using this powder to set my makeup. I bought the "Beige" color and it matches perfectly with my skin. Cost was $22.00. The microsmooth foundation powders looks extremely natural, not cakey at all. I love that it is infused with minerals, green tea extract and mineral water.

on 6/19/2017 3:21:00 AM

Good product which helps to even out overall skin tone. Great for people who are in a rush and don't have time to be using liquid foundations. Personally, I use it over some concealer for my daily make-up. And the price is pretty reasonable! Skin does become kinda oily midday, but nothing a little blotting can't fix. Also, this product isn't intended to be matifying - they have other powders for that. This one leaves a nice, soft glow. Doesn't oxidise at all, or only very slightly for me. Only thing is that there could've been a little compartment for the sponge to be stored.

on 6/19/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been looking at this for a while, and I finally bought it - and I was very pleased with its silky texture and smooth coverage. It covers what I want it to (basically, just evening out some red and discolored spots), but it didn't look or feel heavy. And it wears really well. I got the lightest color, and it's not a bad match - perhaps a little too yellow for my cool-toned skin, but manageable enough. Even in warm weather, this has still looked pretty good at the end of the day, without any extra powdering or blotting. (I did brush some loose powder over it in the morning, but not a lot.)

But! I've had a few breakouts in odd spots - on my cheeks and forehead, where I don't usually have any problems - and this is the only new product I've been using. And it makes an unholy mess of my bathroom counters. Powder everywhere!

So, I'm torn. It looks good on, but it causes me to break out. I had hoped it would work out, and it might be fine if I use it as a setting powder over another foundation (so it's not coming into direct contact with my skin). But that kind of defeats the purpose of something with such a light, fine texture!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Not great, just ok. It doesn't cover well first of all. You have to layer and layer and layer to get any coverage. Takes a while. It's pretty drying. The finish is decent, but since I have melasma, I have to use regular foundation over that and then put this on top. Not really enjoying using two foundations for coverage. It's also very messy. The domed powder gets all over when you swirl your brush over it. All in all, I haven't loved using it and wouldn't buy it again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Really really happy with this. I think it could even be HG status! I went into Sephora asking for a powder to set my makeup without looking cakey and I got this gem. It feels like a very silky fine powder and just looks so natural, it is neither matt nor dewy but gives skin a beautiful luminous finish. There is no cakeiness to it. Today I tried applying it by itself and it really enhanced my skin. Great for dry skin. A mirror in the packaging would've been great but oh well that's life. Also I like how it sort of domes out so you do get more product for this resonably priced powder. Will definitely be buying this again.

on 3/27/2016 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I was using Mac's studio fix before this and heard that this was a dupe for that, so I decided to try it. And to be honest my loyalty has shifted because I like this better. This powder is light, breathable and feels comfortable on the skin, which is why I love it so much. It gives the skin a natural no-makeup look and doesn't turn cakey no matter how much you layer on. It's marketed as a powder foundation but I wouldn't call it that since the coverage is barely even medium, at best. This isn't an issue to me but I would think that it would be, for those who are looking for something that would hide their blemishes. I have to add that I use this powder with a sponge since I don't use any base such as primer or liquid foundation for my everyday makeup routine. I usually touch up my t-zone area after about 5 hours.

Also, one thing I totally dislike about this product is the fact that it doesn't come with a mirror and a sponge like the Mac SF and Sephora 8HR. I love this product, but I do wish it came with a mirror and a sponge/sponge compartment.