Sephora Microsmooth Foundation Powder

Sephora  Microsmooth Foundation Powder
Microsmooth Foundation PowderMicrosmooth Foundation Powder

4.3

Mica, Talc, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Dimethicone, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), Isopropyl Palmitate, Polysorbate 20, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Isohexadecane, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Lauroyl Lysine, Coral Powder, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polysorbate 80, Hexylene Glycol, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), Nylon-12, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Oleate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol

I hate the feel of liquid foundation on my face, so I've been on a lookout for a pressed powder foundation that will minimize oil on my T-zone while not drying out the rest of my dehydrated combination skin. I decided to give this one a try because the price/gram is pretty decent. I purchased this in the shade 15 Nude. My skin tone is around NC20 (a little bit lower than NC25 in the summer), neutral and slightly olive when I'm paler; a bit warmer toned when I'm more tanned.

At first glance, the packaging is very meh-looking, but for the price point, I can't really complain. I decided that if this product blows my socks off then what it looks like on the outside doesn't matter. I tried this over the course of two separate days.

Day One: I used a kabuki brush to buff this into half of my face. It seemed like an almost perfect colour match to my current neutral NC20 skin tone. The powder is a bit dusty and provides very light coverage with the brush. I could still see my acne scars, and scars that were flaky and healing were made very noticeable, maybe due to the way I applied it. My dehydrated skin seemed very matte and because of that, I could tell there was powder on my face when I looked closely. Around the 4-hour mark, I noticed that my face oil had broken through. I wasn't a glazed donut yet, but definitely glowy looking. There is no shimmer in this, by the way.

Day Two: Since the brush didn't work last day, I used a very soft powder puff to press the powder into my skin. At first I applied one layer to half of my face to double check the colour match again, only to realize that it became a bit darker and slightly warmer than my skin. Very disappointing because I've been searching for a foundation that matches me, but I still went ahead and applied a layer to the other half of my face. I wanted to get more coverage from this powder so I applied another 1.5 layers to the areas of discoloration that I had. By now it was quite noticeable how off the powder looked, especially when compared to my neck (my neck and face are almost the same skin tone). Even though I tried applying this using a powder puff and patting motions, my dry patches were still emphasized. Especially now, I could tell there was powder on my face.

For both of these days, I applied the powder foundation in front of a window during the afternoon when the sun was bright, so I don't think it is a lighting change. The powder puff I used was brand new out of the box, so it didn't have any previous facial oil on it to cause oxidization.

Overall this is a decent powder, just not for me. It might work better for people with oilier, less dehydrated skin, and if it doesn't oxidize on the face.

on 11/26/2017 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I like this powder, though I had to return the first one I bought (#25 Beige) because it was too dark for me. My skin is in the NC 20-25 shade range and I ended up keeping the lighter shade, #15 Nude. #25 Beige looked orange on my skin and was too dark for the powder to blend seamlessly into the rest of my makeup. #15 Nude has a nice neutral undertone so it goes well with olive skin.

I bought this powder because I needed a good powder to set the concealer under my eyes, and this one had a good price and was recommended to me because it has a dewy finish and was not supposed to be cakey. In general, it's not, but it does catch dry spots at times and can make any whiteheads more visible. That's pretty gross, but it's happened to me before while using this product. It does definitely go on smooth on the rest of my face, and on occasion I do use it as a powder foundation, but that's not the usual way I use it. I tend to put on my foundation or concealer and go over everything to set it with this powder. It works well to keep my makeup lasting longer and helps to buff out any inconsistencies in my base makeup.

I use a really light hand with this powder because I think it's really, really pigmented and I don't need a lot. That being said, I think it's going to last me years, and in the future I won't buy this again. I wasn't overly impressed with it, and I could probably find a better one. It may work better for people who have deeper skin tones, because I can imagine the pigment would look amazing, but for me it's just alright. To be honest, apart from a bit of a more dewy finish, I don't see much difference from a drugstore powder.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm really torn regarding this product. On one hand it is very glowy and has a good colour match, on the other hand it is really visible on my skin while not providing any coverage! It highlights any dry patches and skin structure, my pores seem to be the size of Icelandic geysers even when I put this on top of my foundation. Plus (or rather a minus) I have impression it does not set makeup at all and transfers.

I use sunscreen every day and a combo of this powder and glow from the sunscreen makes a lethal combination screaming a greasy, shiny forehead and makeup sliding off mid day. It is very similar to Hourglass powders, it has the same baked formula and it kicks a lot of powder dust during application.

The only things that I really like about it is... the packaging, the fact that it does not contain any silly mirror or a sponge compartment and it is pleasantly domed. Also the price is to bad for the amount of product. I do like Spehora's products design, there is no faffing about, they are functional, good quality and pleasant to use. I use it with their brush as well and I think it would be a really heavy, visible powder if used with a sponge.

However, I think there are better powders out there, even from L'Oreal or if yo are a spindrift like me, from NARS or Chanel.

on 6/19/2017 3:21:00 AM

Good product which helps to even out overall skin tone. Great for people who are in a rush and don't have time to be using liquid foundations. Personally, I use it over some concealer for my daily make-up. And the price is pretty reasonable! Skin does become kinda oily midday, but nothing a little blotting can't fix. Also, this product isn't intended to be matifying - they have other powders for that. This one leaves a nice, soft glow. Doesn't oxidise at all, or only very slightly for me. Only thing is that there could've been a little compartment for the sponge to be stored.

I've gone through three of these and I really like it! It's a smooth non gritty or chalky baked powder foundation that gives a natural look to the skin. Doesn't have any annoying shimmer or sparkle and I don't notice any scent to it at all. If you are looking for full coverage, this is not it but I think it's perfect for the days I want my skin to look smooth and even without having to use liquid foundation.

on 7/30/2016 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I absolutely love this powder. It was suggested to me by the guy at sephora. I was very skeptical to buy it to be honest, but I have tried so many powders in many different brands, I thought what the heyyyyy. To my pleasant surprise, this has been the best powder I have ever tried. It my HG powder. It has great coverage, yet it's light weight and you can never over do it. I love that it is not expensive at all, and it comes in a cute little package. I will keep repurchasing and will not switch to any other powder ever. It sets my foundation perfectly, and since I'm an oily girl, as I start breaking down with oil during the day I use my blotting papers and then my powder and it refreshes my face. In this Texas heat, that says a lot.

Love using this powder to set my makeup. I bought the "Beige" color and it matches perfectly with my skin. Cost was $22.00. The microsmooth foundation powders looks extremely natural, not cakey at all. I love that it is infused with minerals, green tea extract and mineral water.

on 6/19/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been looking at this for a while, and I finally bought it - and I was very pleased with its silky texture and smooth coverage. It covers what I want it to (basically, just evening out some red and discolored spots), but it didn't look or feel heavy. And it wears really well. I got the lightest color, and it's not a bad match - perhaps a little too yellow for my cool-toned skin, but manageable enough. Even in warm weather, this has still looked pretty good at the end of the day, without any extra powdering or blotting. (I did brush some loose powder over it in the morning, but not a lot.)

But! I've had a few breakouts in odd spots - on my cheeks and forehead, where I don't usually have any problems - and this is the only new product I've been using. And it makes an unholy mess of my bathroom counters. Powder everywhere!

So, I'm torn. It looks good on, but it causes me to break out. I had hoped it would work out, and it might be fine if I use it as a setting powder over another foundation (so it's not coming into direct contact with my skin). But that kind of defeats the purpose of something with such a light, fine texture!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Really really happy with this. I think it could even be HG status! I went into Sephora asking for a powder to set my makeup without looking cakey and I got this gem. It feels like a very silky fine powder and just looks so natural, it is neither matt nor dewy but gives skin a beautiful luminous finish. There is no cakeiness to it. Today I tried applying it by itself and it really enhanced my skin. Great for dry skin. A mirror in the packaging would've been great but oh well that's life. Also I like how it sort of domes out so you do get more product for this resonably priced powder. Will definitely be buying this again.

on 3/27/2016 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I was using Mac's studio fix before this and heard that this was a dupe for that, so I decided to try it. And to be honest my loyalty has shifted because I like this better. This powder is light, breathable and feels comfortable on the skin, which is why I love it so much. It gives the skin a natural no-makeup look and doesn't turn cakey no matter how much you layer on. It's marketed as a powder foundation but I wouldn't call it that since the coverage is barely even medium, at best. This isn't an issue to me but I would think that it would be, for those who are looking for something that would hide their blemishes. I have to add that I use this powder with a sponge since I don't use any base such as primer or liquid foundation for my everyday makeup routine. I usually touch up my t-zone area after about 5 hours.

Also, one thing I totally dislike about this product is the fact that it doesn't come with a mirror and a sponge like the Mac SF and Sephora 8HR. I love this product, but I do wish it came with a mirror and a sponge/sponge compartment.