Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Cream

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Cream
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB, Light/Medium

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Over the years, I've been disappointed to see my go-to TMs with physical sunscreen discontinued time and time again, or the formulas changed to add chemical sunscreens I can't use on my face. There aren't that many products like this, and the hunt for them has taken me all over the place: Sephora, Ulta, department stores, doctor's offices, specialty stores, even hair salons and sometimes only online. The drugstore has always been the dead zone.

So what a surprise to find a really good TM with physical sunscreen in the drugstore by MAYBELLINE! I read a new product review of Dream Fresh somewhere, where it was described as reformulated with better ingredients, and titanium dioxide as its only sunscreen. This is exciting news in my world, and I went out to get it right away. The cardboard display had a range of shades. I got the lightest shade, 100, for less than $10, and took home a great new BB cream. How nice to have a real drugstore option, easy to find *(see note below), easy on the budget! I really like this stuff. The color is just right for me, having enough "life" in it without skewing orange or peach. It is creamy but sheer, and polishes up my skin without masking it or covering it with sparkles. I have rosacea, and I like to just even out the redder portions. I'm not trying to look like airbrushed perfection, just like someone who naturally has nicer skin than I really have. And if I can get a little dewy/glowy thing going with it, all the better, as my 20s are long gone. I didn't realize how nice this was on me until a friend stopped in her tracks and kept complimenting my skin. I looked in the mirror (which of course I avoid like the plague) and thought, she's right. I'm having a "good" day, and it has to be the Maybelline BB cream, the only "different" thing. Using it regularly has not clogged my skin at all. If you have rosacea, or sensitive skin issues, or just want a sheer tint with gentle sunscreen, don't let the brand or price throw you. Give it a try! I hope it works for you, too.

*Update: I have to take away at LEAST a star. The initial product rollout had 5 or more shades, but searching (and I mean searching) for a second tube, I'm discovering that the standard acrylic store display only stocks the middle three shades. It's as if those other shades no longer exist! What a shame for those of us of on either end of the spectrum. To me, the advantages of buying a mass market brand like Maybelline (besides price) are easy availability and frequent turnover of product. I'm not about to order this online.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't mean to be blunt... but this product was a HUGE fail for me. It oxidizes, emphasizes texture, makes me look greasy and i swear it breaks me out as well. I am a believer however that just because a product doesnt work for someone, doesnt mean it doesnt work for anyone... so i passed it along to my friend and she loves it. Its all about your skin type. If you have oily, acne prone skin this probably isnt the best option for you. If you have good skin to begin with and just want a little extra coverage then this may be the product for you!

I'm confused about the ratings, as this product DEFINITELY has a noticeable effect on the skin. It just still looks like skin is all. This is the product I use on a daily basis instead of foundation. I think I happen to have skin that can't take a lot of makeup, since putting on the tiniest bit of foundation+concealer+powder+rest of eye and cheek makeup ends up looking extremely cakey. I have many high end foundations (Nars, Chanel, Tarte, MUFE, Estee Lauder etc.) and every foundation looks too heavy on my face in fluorescent lighting. But this product is beautiful! And unlike a lot of other tinted moisturizers and sheer foundations (face and body type foundations), it is not sticky, oily, overly thick or thin. It feels like like a creamy moisturizer, and has no obnoxious smell. The best thing though is the effect on the skin. Worn alone, you can't tell that you have makeup on, but comparing one side of the face with this on and the other side, this product just makes the skin look better, evens out red patches and makes pores look a lot smaller! It obviously is not going to be high coverage, or make pores disappear, but looking in both natural and fluorescent lighting, my skin looks more even and the texture looks a LOT better. Best part is that I can put concealer over top if I want coverage on blemishes or dark circles and it doesn't look heavy. Normal foundations I find it hard to layer concealer or powder on top of, and not have it age my skin (I'm 21 y/o). I wear this for events as well, because the effect is just so beautiful. I have combination skin and it does not cling to dry patches, it helps them look a LOT better and less noticeable compared to moisturizer alone. If you just want your skin to look better, especially in unflattering natural light, this alone is great..even up close it is very hard to tell you have product sitting on the face. For everyday makeup, when you do want coverage, this product works beautifully under a lovely textured concealer (like Nars Creamy Concealer).

Downsides are really to be expected...because it's a tinted moisturizer, it is not going to be long lasting. It actually lasts quite well considering it's natural-dewy texture. I get about 6-8 hours, and it doesn't wear funny. In fact, as it wears off, it looks better than most other foundations do when they wear off..it doesn't all of a sudden get patchy, or oxidize. It stays in tact longer and looks much better at the 6 hr mark with a finishing spray. Also, it is not a mattifying product, so it'll be hard to use for really oily skin. It doesn't bother my combo skin since I also have dry patches that most foundations cling onto a little, but it can look a tiny bit shiny in the T-zone. A little powder fixes that, or even using a concealer like Tarte Shape Tape that's matte. Lastly, they reformulated it and changed the shades recently... I wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of the SPF! otherwise the texture is near identical.. not a great shade selection on the light spectrum of things though. I use the lightest shade Light in the new version, where as I used to use the second lightest before the change. For reference I'm a bit darker than NC20, I'm shade 20 Beige in Chanel vitalumiere aqua, and Nars Creme Brûlée in their creamy concealer)... In the summer I use Light-Medium (and it is noticeably darker)

Also a lovely price...although personally I am willing to shell out money for base products, and this one truly beats every high end product I've tried (my favourite actual foundation is the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua...close second but too heavy for everyday). If you have a problem with things looking too cakey or have dry patches, give this one a try...even if it doesn't work, I think it's only like $8CAD

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

the texture is slippy, the undertone is pink to the point of making an NC35 girl look ashy and after it settles into your skin your pores look like giant craters.

Maybelline, this is not how you make a BB cream

I am not a huge fan of foundation, so I typically just do BB cream and concealers, maybe with a light touch of powder every now and then. Typically this has worked well for my warm toned fair skin, but not with this one. I know some people said there is no coverage and it's just an okay moisturizer, but I think there is coverage (albeit very light such) and the shade comes out a little 'off' for my skin tone. It does cover up those little blemishes my skin has but the tone is just off, and I've tried looking at my skin throughout the day in various lighting scenarios, and even though it is not like I've painted myself orange or brown, it still just doesn't work that well for me. Decent moisturizer, though, and very much love the high SPF of 30.

Bought as a lighter beach day BB. The coverage is enough for me, but I find I have to use powder and touch up throughout the day or my face is really oily. I think next time I'll go with dry touch sun block and mineral makeup. Not too big of a fan of this. There is a lot better on the market.

on 5/2/2016 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is the first BB cream I tried and I bought it primarily because of its high SPF. It has a sheer coverage but works fine to even out my skin, and then I go over the blemishes with a concealer. This product is definitely for people with good skin, who don't need much coverage. The finish is dewy, and in the summer I top is off with a powder because it can get oily during the day. It sits well on my skin (I have normal/dry skin) and is not very noticeable because it's so lightweight. I like this product for everyday wear, especially in the summer or on vacation when I don't want to wear anything heavy and need SPF protection. I wouldn't say this product has any long-lasting effects beyond a regular tinted moisturizer so don't expect much from it just because it's a "BB" cream. If your skin is very oily you probably won't like this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I currently own this product in Light Sheer Tint and Light/Medium Sheer Tint and I love them! This was the first BB Cream that I've tried and I think it's really nice! It does give light coverage and I like to wear it on days where my skin isn't too bad but I want a little bit of coverage. The product feels nice on my skin and it doesn't look cakey. I think this always needs to be set with a powder after application but I think this is a nice drugstore BB cream for every day.

on 12/8/2015 9:56:00 PM

This was my first BB cream I used when I first started getting into makeup. I bought it for about $15-$16 AUD.

This BB cream is super lightweight but it has hardly any coverage. This BB cream can hardly cover redness so it can't cover dark circles or pimples. It is definitely not recommended for people who are looking for coverage. I won't ever re purchase this BB cream I don't think because it is just not worth $15-$16 AUD.

PROS:
Light weight and would be suitable for people who are looking for really minimal coverage (like really really minimal for school, work etc)

CONS:
Has hardly to no coverage at all, can't cover redness, pimples, dark circles etc, and also not worth the price you pay in my opinion :(

I wear this under foundation quite often for the benefit of the built-in sunscreen and moisturizer. I prefer something with more coverage. It also does not stay in place. It is NOT long-lasting at all. Disappears after about five hours of wear (even with primer and setting powder). Not great for oily skin, either.