Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Cream

3.3

on 4/23/2013 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

This is another example of a Westernized BB cream that is really just a tinted moisturizer.
It's "8 steps in 1" are a bit of an insult to my intelligence...
Blurs imperfections
Brightens
Evens skin tone
Smoothes
Hydrates
Enhances
Protects with SPF 30
0% oils and heavy ingredients

Aren't a few of those just different ways of saying the same thing? How is "0% oils" a step? I forgot to 0% oils my face today... darn it, guys.

I haven't found it evens my skin tone at all. Just coats it with a very lightly tinted moisturizer.

It does have merit in that it has SPF 30, which IMO edges it slightly above similar brands of Western BB cream, and keeps me from just throwing out the tube and giving up on it.

This is pretty much everything I've been looking for in a foundation or tinted moisturizer. Every foundation I've tried in the past is either too much coverage and looks mask-y, would oxidize, would be too shiny, or would become separated and splotchy looking. I'm a broke college student so high end foundations usually aren't an option. Recently I haven't been wearing foundation at all because I don't have problem skin and I'd rather wear nothing than wear a foundation that does what I mentioned above. I thought I'd sworn off on wearing foundation, but I've been keeping my eye out for this since I'd read some good reviews about it. When I saw it at my local CVS I decided to try it. Luckily there were tester bottles of each shade, and I chose medium after seeing that it blended perfectly into the skin on my hand. I was a little skeptical about applying it before work since I was in a rush and would be quickly applying it with my fingers. Application turned out to be really simple, especially since the packaging is a squeeze tub. The formula has the texture of a mix between a lotion and gel and it was very easy to spread. Like I said I was applying it in a hurry, but it blended very easily, and the finger application left no streaks. It felt like I was just putting on face lotion. The first thing I noticed was that the coverage was very sheer, which is what I've been looking for. It was a little shiny, but I always set my foundation with a matte bronzer, and that completely fixed it. This gave just enough coverage that my skin tone looked more even and the redness on my chin was practically unnoticeable. I was glad to see that my freckles across my nose still showed through since my boyfriend complains when my makeup covers them up =P Basically, it makes your skin look like your skin but better. There's no masky-ness to this what so ever. I applied it about 7 hours ago and it still looks freshly applied. No oxidation! My t-zone tends to get oily, especially in the summer, but this really seems to have done a good job of keeping oil at bay. But I do work in an air conditioned office so I'll do an update if that changes after a hot day outside! I was also happy to find that the sunscreen didn't give the formula a greasy or shiny finish. The finish is dewey without being shiny--it's like a matte dewiness if that makes sense! It gives the skin a nice glow, like the skin is lit from within. It looks the way foundation looks after it "sets" into the skin after a few hours, but you don't have to wait for this to set. Anyone looking for medium to full coverage to cover blemishes or scars probably wouldn't like this, but if you just need something to even out your skin tone and give your blush, concealer, etc. a base to stick to and give them more lasting power, I don't think you'd be disappointed with this product. If you're on the fence about trying this out, buy it from CVS--they'll take it back even if it's been opened and used
EDIT: said I would update after wearing for a full day outside in the heat, and I'm glad to say that it did not oxidize on me or turn me into an oil slick. Obviously it'll look even better if you stay in the air conditioning all day, but it really does hold up well in heat and humidity. If I wear for more than six or so hours on a hot day I do normally need to blot my face.

on 7/13/2012 1:13:00 PM

The BB Cream rage ... tried so many in all price ranges and disliked them all for various reasons. The major one being that they left me looking flat/matte and seemed to accentuate every fine line and blemish. And most had low spf (if any) ratings.

Now Maybelline ... you hit it out of the park for me. I want light coverage (check), the dewy finish (check), good moisturizing (check), no melting (check) and at least spf 30 (check). Not bad for $10.99. Tried 2 shades (medium/tan and medium) and neither changed on my skin once applied.

2 warnings: (1) if you want moderate or more coverage, this isn't for you. Very light coverage - think tinted moisturizer not foundation. (2) you will tan with this. I put alot on ... spf 30 is not high enough (for me) if I'm planning a day in the sun.

But for most every other day ... I'm a big fan.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

THIS IS NOT A PROPER BB CREAM!! for anyone who hasn't used a bb cream before or if this is their very first bb cream they've ever bought, you need to know that this does NOT do what a good bb cream should.
I got some of the free samples they're giving away online (which did arrive quite quickly), if i'd have bought this I would have wasted my money.
What a BB cream should do in the short run:
- Even the skin tone, hide redness and blur any imperfections
- blur any fine lines
- give a nice dewy glow
- have a good SPF (at least 15)
- diminish dark eye circles
- hydrate skin all day
- leave skin feeling soft and not greasy
(even if you've got a bad breakout of spots, after applying the cream you should have little to no-need of a concealer).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the long term it should:
- improve and even your natural skin tone
- help heal any spots, and reduce breakouts
- and just generally improve all-round skin health
This cream does NONE of these things at all, it's only redeeming features are that it does hydrate skin all day, has non-oily formula and has SPF 30 (but at 1.15% titanium dioxidide, i doubt this will provide good UVA/UVB protection). At best it's a glorified tinted moisturiser!
trust me there are far more superior bb creams out there for just a couple of quid more.

on 9/29/2014 7:13:00 PM

For some odd reason when I wear a traditional foundation, my skin looks horrible. I have a lot of redness. And when I find a foundation to cover the redness, the rest of my skin looks like crap. So I've given up on foundation. I keep coming back to this BB cream after trying countless foundations, etc. It's just a plain water-based tinted moisturizer with SPF. Nothing special. It has enough pigment (light/medium) to tone down my redness, but doesn't make my 50+ year old skin look like crap. It doesn't break me out, cause excess oiliness, or oxidize my face into oompa loompa land.

I apply this all over my face, then apply a light second layer on my super-rosy cheeks (this is a light, but buildable coverage BB cream). Boom. Done. I'm learning as I get older that the simplest of solutions are usually the best. No need for powder, no need to use concealer. Sometimes no need for blush. I like simple.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Like other reviewers have noted, this is like a drugstore tinted moisturizer done very well. It's a product I use a lot on days when I just want a fuss free natural look. This product would not work well for someone with some acne or uneven skin tone that they wanted to cover up. You could use this but you would definetly need to use concealer after. This product is NOT a concealer or a foundation. It isn't going to mask skin imperfections.
On days when I want a bit more coverage I use a primer, some concealer and a bit of luminizing powder. When it comes to application, using my fingers seems to work the best. I almost pat it on my skin rather than rubbing it in. One of the things I love most about this product is how quickly you can apply this product. If you get the right match, you could probably apply this product without a mirror. it just doesn't streak and won't settle into dry patches, fine lines or pores. I've tried using a foundation brush or sponge and it just made my skin look too bare..as if I didn't put the BB cream on my face. When I've used this product I've had a lot of compliments on my skin. It just makes the skin glow and it doesn't make my skin oilier--it's oily to begin with. My skin feels light and refreshed when I put this on. Like I don't have any makeup at all and for me that's a bonus. I hate feeling heavy makeup on my skin!
Another bonus to this is the SPF 20! I used this almost every day this summer and didn' t have to worry about getting a sunburn. Bonus is that you can't smell the sunscreen at all!
I just bought the light shade to suit my winter skin and already have the medium shade. I hope Maybelline doesn't stop making this product as it's honestly one of the best products that they have made.

This product gets mixed reviews, and I think that has to do with expectations. This is not a full coverage product; so, if that is what you are looking for, then you want a foundation. I would also not confuse this with a tinted moisturizer - it is sheer, but not to the extent of tinted moisturizers. I do think you need to use a pretty good size dollop to get adequate coverage - too little and it really is too sheer and like a tinted moisturizer. I like this product for daily use, because it is quick and really does brighten my face. My skin is pretty good, but sometimes needs a little help with evening out and counteracting fatigue (I'm 27, but hey work and stress do show up on your face). I wear this to work, but I do use concealer and powder as well. On days that I am not too tired, this will work under my eyes, but most days it's not enough. And, I would probably never wear this without power, as I find it to be too dewy. However, with power (which I would use anyway), it makes my skin look luminous and healthy, but not oily. I find the staying power to be pretty good and it doesn't seem to make my combination skin any more oily than other foundations. I will continue to use this product, because it is so quick and easy and really perks up my complexion.

on 8/17/2012 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this cream, and here's why:

First, as my skin gets older, makeup looks more and more awful on it -- looks cakey, accentuates fine lines, sits in the pores, etc. Makeup that used to work for me 6 years ago doesn't anymore. So it's really important to me to have a makeup to cover while still looking natural like good skin, but very hard to find a product that achieves that on my dry-ish skin.

This Maybelline BB cream has a very smooth texture. Looks very orange when squirted out of the tube, but it transforms really well to my skin tone when applied. It makes my skin look healthy, and like skin. It has absolutely NO look of makeup, cakey-ness, or look like anything is sitting on the skin. Beautiful.

I am fair and veer to the cool side, and the lightest color in this BB cream looks great. I also tested the next color in the store, and also put it on my hand, and it seemed to transform a bit too, which attests that it must adjust a bit. But I bought the lightest one.

It is not a matte look nor is it an over-dewy look like some makeups. It just has that look of really healthy hydrated skin. If you have very oily skin, you may need to blot during the day or wear a sheer powder over top. For my dry skin, this is all I need. I do have some slight red spots (old scars) and this doesn't totally cover them, but I will say even full coverage makeup hasn't always either. This does make the skin more even-looking, so even if the spots are slightly there, it still looks good.

I should add that I'm not using this BB cream for any skin benefits.I have other products for that. Its purpose for me is a makeup that doesn't look like makeup on my skin, and this fits the bill perfectly. This BB cream does not irritate my sensitive skin or bring up those little irritation bumps. I do not break out from it either. In contrast, others have made my face itch. This does not.

The other thing I really love about this is that it does NOT have parabens and the ingredients are much better than some of the more toxic ones out there. It also has a sunscreen. I have not used Asian ones to compare, but some of those do have parabens and other suspect chemicals.

The final thing is that I do use copper peptides which is contraindicated with zinc, so I can only use the peptides at night (not wearing makeup) because most makeups contain zinc. This BB cream does NOT have zinc in it. This means I can use the copper peptides during the day along with this BB cream, whereas I could not if I used other makeup or creams containing zinc.

EDIT: Another thing I found good about this one is that on days where you really want even more coverage but your mainstay makeup is just too cakey, mix a little of it with this BB cream. For me, it took away the cakiness of the regular makeup and gave it the natural look that this BB cream has, meaning no cake, no crepey texture, no accenting of lines, etc. :) Disclaimer: I'm no chemist so I wouldn't know if any chemical clashes could occur when mixing formulas. Any time I've done it though was OK.

on 7/13/2012 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This year I've tried a number of BB creams, including one from my dermatologist's office. None has impressed me as much as this BB cream from Maybelline. Is it a 'true' BB cream? Not necessarily. But what it does do it does very well, and it's inexpensive as well at $10.99 Canadian!

I don't like medium or heavy foundations - I prefer to let my skin show through, and this product hides a few flaws and doesn't feel uncomfortable on my skin. I find the application extremely easy. I warm it up by running it between my fingers and then applying it to my face. I find it's very easy to work with, no makeup brush needed.

I don't know if we get the exact same product in Canada as the product sold in the U.S. or other areas of the world, but I'm not aware of any odd smells. The clincher is that even with my oily, large pored skin, it doesn't clog my pores and a light dusting of a powder over it keeps me as matte as any other sheer moisturizer/sheer makeup that I have ever used. And it comes off very easily with a facial wipe (currently using both Biore wipes and Korres Pomegranate Wipes).

I'm finding this product particularly good in matching my face colour to the more tanned areas of my neck and chest. I religiously use Skinceuticals Fusion SPF50 and my face is much lighter than my neck (I probably should use it there too - I know!). I can use the Medium/Tan in this Maybelline BB product to perfectly match my skin and make it look like my face is gently tanned. I'm a light, with some rosacea, but because I don't use too much of this BB cream, the colour looks believable. And Maybelline has provided a nice range of shades that should work with everyone!

Regarding the rosacea, I have not had this product aggravate my skin at all. That said, I do use a light application of it. I think the Medium shade will work for me after the summer is over, and will probably hide my rosacea a little better than the medium/tan shade. Knowing this, I'm going to purchase the colours I need NOW, because I am always fearful of a good product being discontinued/changed. Cosmetics companies always want to come out with new products, and often because of this, something gets dropped from their line-up of products.

If you like a lighter sheer coverage, weightless in feel, and something with significant SPF in it, you really should give this a try.

on 6/18/2013 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Curly, Medium

This is GREAT for those days when you want to do a minimal make-up. This stuff is so good and cheap that I just think of it as a sunscreen/moisturizer and (because it is so inexpensive--under $10) I apply it liberally. It also happens to even-up my skin and make it look smooth and clear, so yes, it also works like a med. coverage foundation. (It is build-able for more coverage.
I've been hearing so much lately about how the sun is AGING (and yes, you SHOULD care, because if you live long enough, you will also be "a lady of a certain age"!), so a high spf is important! I know how good tans can look, especially if you are young, but ladies: protect your face, at least! With all the good bronzers out there, fake your tan on your face
If you want a look that is more matte, follow this bb cream up with loose mineral powder and bronzer or blush.
WILL BUY AGAIN.