Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Cream

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Cream
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB, Light/Medium

3.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE 5/10/13: I stopped using this several months ago because I didn't like it for winter; it looked a little too dewy and I needed to use powder to control the shine, which was drying me out while also clogging my pores and causing breakouts. I tried a few liquid foundations before settling on Rimmel's BB cream, which I also like and seems to have helped with my breakouts (see my review).

ORIGINAL: This stuff is an unexpected surprise. I know it's not really BB cream, but they could call it sh%t in a tube and I'd still love it. It's sheer, got great slip, leaves my skin bright but not overly dewy, and blurs my imperfections as opposed to completely spackling over them. This is fine with me. Nothing creeps me out more than those MAC salespeople who look wax figures. Anyway, I'm using it as my foundation with no primer or other silicone garbage underneath, applied with my fingers, with just a light dusting of powder on my T-zone to finish it off. Perfect summer makeup. Last year I bought MAC's face & body makeup hoping to achieve the same effect, and it looked like I stirred glitter into some Crisco then slathered the concoction all over my face. Don't let the "BB" gimmick dissuade you from trying this Maybelline product if you like a light, sheer, blendable makeup that doesn't make you look like you have a ton of makeup on.

on 6/19/2012 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

I originally posted this review to the Clearglow BB Cream. I still use this product . It is beginning to get hot and humid in in NYC and this product still holds up. The only caveat; in photos with flash your face will look very shiny/sparkly almost like you are wearing mineral makeup, minus 1 lippie for that.

Original Review:
I purchased this product in England for 7.99 GBP which is about 13.00 USD A bit expensive but I hadn't seen this in the US and they actually had a Dark shade in stock. Also, the UK and Europe restricts many ingredients in the use of skincare and cosmetics, so this product may be vastly different from US version, if they decide to distribute here.
8 benefits listed a/p the label:
5 blurs inperfections
6 oil free, non-greasy
7 looks visibly smooth
8 feels fresh
This product does what it says. Honestly, I'm quite surprised as I consider Maybelline to be on the lower end of drugstore cosmetics. I have been using this for two weeks now and I prefer it to the Smashbox BB cream. It feels light, blends smoothly over my moisturiser and highlighter, melts nicely as the day goes on and doesn't cause the 3 o'clock greasy face. I've also noticed that the quality of my skin tone and texture are vastly improved while wearing, even though it is very sheer coverage. My skin is not horrible, but at my age I'm concerned about uneven tone and mild scars left by pimples, this product does blur them and feels very good on my skin, it also doesn't cake into smile and forehead lines and does not clog my pores. If released in the US I will purchase again.
coverage: sheer
finish: semi dewy
lasting power: quite good on my very oily skin
scent: mild
texture: gel cream like, spreads nicely
Ingredients:
aqua/water, ethylhexyl palmitate, glycerin, octyld0decanol, silica, pentylene glycol, octyldodecyl xyloside, phenoxyethanol, sodium acrylate/sodium acryloyldimethone taurate copolymer, hydrogenated lecithin, isohexadecane, hydroxyethyl, acrylate/ sodium acryloyldimethyl taurate, copolymer, peg - 30, diplohydroxystearate, sodium dehydroacetate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl, hydroxyhydrocinnamate, caprylyl glycol, disodium edta, citirc acid, polysorbate 80, potassium sorbate, propylene glycol, methylisothiazolinone, chamonolla retcuitta extract/matricaria flower extract, aloe barbadensis extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, may contain c177891/titanium dioxide, c177491, c177492, c177499/iron oxides

on 4/23/2013 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

This is another example of a Westernized BB cream that is really just a tinted moisturizer.
It's "8 steps in 1" are a bit of an insult to my intelligence...
Blurs imperfections
Brightens
Evens skin tone
Smoothes
Hydrates
Enhances
Protects with SPF 30
0% oils and heavy ingredients

Aren't a few of those just different ways of saying the same thing? How is "0% oils" a step? I forgot to 0% oils my face today... darn it, guys.

I haven't found it evens my skin tone at all. Just coats it with a very lightly tinted moisturizer.

It does have merit in that it has SPF 30, which IMO edges it slightly above similar brands of Western BB cream, and keeps me from just throwing out the tube and giving up on it.

on 6/15/2012 4:48:00 PM

Got this in Light. Overall I think this is an amazing product!
Pros: I know people complained its coverage being too sheer... it covered my pores and added a nice tint for me which is perfect for light days!
Not drying at all!! It didn't accentuate my flakies which every base product does on me! Love this :)

Cons: SPF 30 is total bs because it has only 1.15% titanium dioxide and nothing else....
I am super pale... NC10... So this is at least half a shade too dark for me... Not super obvious but I can tell a difference by my neck. Should work for NC15-20
In conclusion, I can't repurchase this cause of my paper white skin, not issues with the product itself. Ciao!

This is pretty much everything I've been looking for in a foundation or tinted moisturizer. Every foundation I've tried in the past is either too much coverage and looks mask-y, would oxidize, would be too shiny, or would become separated and splotchy looking. I'm a broke college student so high end foundations usually aren't an option. Recently I haven't been wearing foundation at all because I don't have problem skin and I'd rather wear nothing than wear a foundation that does what I mentioned above. I thought I'd sworn off on wearing foundation, but I've been keeping my eye out for this since I'd read some good reviews about it. When I saw it at my local CVS I decided to try it. Luckily there were tester bottles of each shade, and I chose medium after seeing that it blended perfectly into the skin on my hand. I was a little skeptical about applying it before work since I was in a rush and would be quickly applying it with my fingers. Application turned out to be really simple, especially since the packaging is a squeeze tub. The formula has the texture of a mix between a lotion and gel and it was very easy to spread. Like I said I was applying it in a hurry, but it blended very easily, and the finger application left no streaks. It felt like I was just putting on face lotion. The first thing I noticed was that the coverage was very sheer, which is what I've been looking for. It was a little shiny, but I always set my foundation with a matte bronzer, and that completely fixed it. This gave just enough coverage that my skin tone looked more even and the redness on my chin was practically unnoticeable. I was glad to see that my freckles across my nose still showed through since my boyfriend complains when my makeup covers them up =P Basically, it makes your skin look like your skin but better. There's no masky-ness to this what so ever. I applied it about 7 hours ago and it still looks freshly applied. No oxidation! My t-zone tends to get oily, especially in the summer, but this really seems to have done a good job of keeping oil at bay. But I do work in an air conditioned office so I'll do an update if that changes after a hot day outside! I was also happy to find that the sunscreen didn't give the formula a greasy or shiny finish. The finish is dewey without being shiny--it's like a matte dewiness if that makes sense! It gives the skin a nice glow, like the skin is lit from within. It looks the way foundation looks after it "sets" into the skin after a few hours, but you don't have to wait for this to set. Anyone looking for medium to full coverage to cover blemishes or scars probably wouldn't like this, but if you just need something to even out your skin tone and give your blush, concealer, etc. a base to stick to and give them more lasting power, I don't think you'd be disappointed with this product. If you're on the fence about trying this out, buy it from CVS--they'll take it back even if it's been opened and used
EDIT: said I would update after wearing for a full day outside in the heat, and I'm glad to say that it did not oxidize on me or turn me into an oil slick. Obviously it'll look even better if you stay in the air conditioning all day, but it really does hold up well in heat and humidity. If I wear for more than six or so hours on a hot day I do normally need to blot my face.

on 7/29/2012 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

BB Cream?....eh, no. Very good tinted moisturizer.....yes!

***EDIT 6/2/13***
So after trying a few different brands of BB Cream I still stand by my Maybelline and Smashbox BB Creams. I found that I could get away with the Med/Deep during the winter, but Dark is perfect now that I've gotten some sun. Yes, you do have to shake the tube before applying, but you don't need a ton to get a smooth look. I top it with Ben Nye powder and only have to blot a couple times during a hot, humid day.
***EDIT 6/2/13***

The color (dark) and consistency work very well for those days that you want a very natural, yet pulled-together look.

If you add concealer you will end up with a smoother result. This cream doesn't completely hide any dark spots or circles, but makes them look less prominent on the face.

A light dusting of powder over your slick spots is all you need to have a nice, lasting finish all day long (even in the heat and humidity!).

The price is very good, especially with sales and coupons. I've had no irritations or breakouts since I starting using this about 3 weeks ago.

So far, other than the very expensive Smashbox BB Cream, Maybelline is the only one who realizes that WOC are willing to shell out major money for the newest trend. Admirable job.

Is very light coverage.
I don't recommend this for oily skin as it doesn't control oil at all and in fact, makes you more oily
This is good for moisture for a drier skin type and good for evening out skin tone on skin that is pretty much flawless already.

on 7/13/2012 1:13:00 PM

The BB Cream rage ... tried so many in all price ranges and disliked them all for various reasons. The major one being that they left me looking flat/matte and seemed to accentuate every fine line and blemish. And most had low spf (if any) ratings.

Now Maybelline ... you hit it out of the park for me. I want light coverage (check), the dewy finish (check), good moisturizing (check), no melting (check) and at least spf 30 (check). Not bad for $10.99. Tried 2 shades (medium/tan and medium) and neither changed on my skin once applied.

2 warnings: (1) if you want moderate or more coverage, this isn't for you. Very light coverage - think tinted moisturizer not foundation. (2) you will tan with this. I put alot on ... spf 30 is not high enough (for me) if I'm planning a day in the sun.

But for most every other day ... I'm a big fan.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

THIS IS NOT A PROPER BB CREAM!! for anyone who hasn't used a bb cream before or if this is their very first bb cream they've ever bought, you need to know that this does NOT do what a good bb cream should.
I got some of the free samples they're giving away online (which did arrive quite quickly), if i'd have bought this I would have wasted my money.
What a BB cream should do in the short run:
- Even the skin tone, hide redness and blur any imperfections
- blur any fine lines
- give a nice dewy glow
- have a good SPF (at least 15)
- diminish dark eye circles
- hydrate skin all day
- leave skin feeling soft and not greasy
(even if you've got a bad breakout of spots, after applying the cream you should have little to no-need of a concealer).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the long term it should:
- improve and even your natural skin tone
- help heal any spots, and reduce breakouts
- and just generally improve all-round skin health
This cream does NONE of these things at all, it's only redeeming features are that it does hydrate skin all day, has non-oily formula and has SPF 30 (but at 1.15% titanium dioxidide, i doubt this will provide good UVA/UVB protection). At best it's a glorified tinted moisturiser!
trust me there are far more superior bb creams out there for just a couple of quid more.

on 7/2/2012 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

The good news: theres actual small glass-spatula jar testers in ULTA! The ones ppl can't snatch off & steal away to do their full face of mu at home. The bad news: these are not true bb creams! Gave no coverage & thus im sure have no healing/lightening scar abilities. I tried the Light shade (too light for NC25 but yellow toned) & the Light-Medium (a better match but too pink) ---classic problem in ds shades. Their a thin lotion-y consistency (not the thick formulations of true bb creams again) & thus blended out smoothly. Sadly, it didn't even partially dim the vein on my hand where I swatched. It did give a good luminous-dewy finish tho. So if your looking for spf with glow --go for it, otherwise pass.