SHISEIDO Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

Filtered by hair type : Straight
SHISEIDO Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

3.9

OCTINOXATE 7.4% Sunscreen OCTOCRYLENE 3.0% Sunscreen ZINC OXIDE 8.6% Sunscreen WATER • DIMETHICONE • ISODODECANE • SD ALpCOHOL 40-B • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE • GLYCERIN • POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE • VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER • POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9/1 COPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER • XYLITOL • METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER • THIOTAURINE • SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT • PAEONIA ALBIFLORA ROOT EXTRACT • ONONIS SPINOSA ROOT EXTRACT • ECTOIN • LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE • TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • DISODIUM EDTA • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • BHT • SYZYGIUM JAMBOS LEAF EXTRACT • TOCOPHEROL • PHENOXYETHANOL • BENZOIC ACID • FRAGRANCE • MICA • TITANIUM DIOXIDE •

This is a really good, but not perfect facial sunscreen for sensitive skin. Its best features are probably how gentle it is, and its consistency. However for the cost I'd expect a little more.

The Good

High SPF
Goes on thin and absorbs easily
Non-greasy and no breakouts
Extremely good for sensitive skin!
Water resistant

I actually used this regularly, not only on my face, but also on a fresh tattoo without any hint of irritation. Such a relief from standard sunscreens that actually feel like they're burning my face. It's a very thin, milky consistency that spreads and absorbs easily without feeling oily. Oh and it's water resistant so it sticks around even when you get sweaty. Didn't cause breakouts either. It has a light but pleasant enough smell, with that classic zinc undertone. While it's subtle, I did find the smell lingered.

The Bad

Slightly chalky under makeup
Expensive for the amount you get

It's such a small bottle for the cost, and I went through it very quickly. Even if you only apply it once a day, it won't last you all summer. My other complaint is that I do find it leaves a chalky finish when foundation is applied over it. Only noticeable when you're looking really close, but this combined with the quantity is enough that I'm trying other brands. I'm very pale so I don't notice a colour change, but those with darker skin might find the chalkiness leaves a white cast. Ymmv

Recommend for extra sensitive and fair skin. If you dont mind the cost it's an excellent choice for those who go without foundation on the daily and react badly to most other sunscreens.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I'm allergic to sunlight and have a bad reaction to most sunscreens, but I love swimming and the outdoors. Before I found this sunscreen, I'd just try to suck it up and deal with the burning and redness that other sunscreens caused, and I'd inevitably still wind up with a sunburn somehow (and wind up deathly ill), no matter how much and how carefully I applied. I took this Shiseido with me on a river trip where I was in and out of the water and outside all day, only reapplied once throughout the day, and I did not burn and it did not irritate my skin at all. I'm very pale, and I didn't notice a white cast with this (but I'd deal with the white cast to be able to go outside and enjoy myself). It isn't oily at all. It's just a dream product for me. Non-irritating, non-oily, so protective, waterproof and amazing.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Super pricey for sunscreen but completely worth it. It's so lightweight, absorbs the excess oil on my face and of course protects my super sensitive skin from the sun. Used alone this is completely perfect but layered with other products like a moisturizer or primer this balls up. What I love to do is mix a cocktail of this, Benefits Porefessional Matte Rescue Primer & Clean & Clear's Advantage Acne Control Hydrating Gel Moisturizer & put it all over my face at once that way everything evenly absorbs & I don't have any balling up or pilling from layering different products. Would totally repurchase again.

on 12/26/2016 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This isn't a bad sunscreen but I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
It's EXTREMELY small.
It leaves a white cast on my already white skin.

I like the texture and I enjoy using it but for the tiny amount PLUS whitecast, it's a no.

on 7/7/2015 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm pretty sure I had an allergic reaction to this product -- I'm not sure what caused it, but I would guess the fragrance. This product has a very strong powdery-floral fragrance, which I do not think belongs in a sunscreen (or any face product, really!), and as soon as I applied it, my face started to itch and burn, terribly. I washed it off immediately, popped a Benadryl, and spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch. I wouldn't describe my skin as sensitive at all, but apparently it really disagrees with perfumed products! I am returning this product to Sephora today. I'm having a devil of a time finding a good sunscreen for face, this is my third fail in four tries! :(

$32 at Sephora for 1 oz in a small plastic bottle with a screw-off cap.

on 4/29/2015 12:34:00 PM

My favorite sunscreen for many years was the Clarins UV Plus HP. The only downside to that one is that it offers no oil control. So I decided to give this Shiseido one to try since it is FINALLY available in Canada.

Like the Clarins, this sunscreen isn't greasy, doesn't dry up my skin or clog pores, and is good for sensitive skin. The formula is a very thin liquid and it doesn't have that typical sunscreen smell. It does have a little bit of a white cast when you apply it but goes away when you rub it in. It has silicones in it and it dries down completely matte so it works well as a base. It also dries pretty quickly. It does have better oil control compared to the Clarins one - I would be a complete greaseball after 8 hours with the Clarins, but with this Shiseido I can go pretty much all day. I have had sunscreens irritate the skin around my eyes in the past but this one does not do that.

The packaging is nice and small so its perfect for purses and travel. This costs 35$ CAD which at first glance is cheaper than the Clarins one (42$) however you only get 30 ml vs 50 ml so it is actually more expensive. I will probably try some other sunscreens from the Shiseido line but I would recommend and repurchase this particular one.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

BIORE MAKES A BETTER PRODUCT. I bought this after doing a lot of research on here + Sephora, and finally bought it. Disappointment. Biore's Face Milk is a much better version of this. This is basically a thin, liquid sunscreen. Compared to the Biore, this is harder to blend b/c of it's high water content (more rubbing), and is less mattifying. Biore's product has a chock full of silicones, which has made it my one and only HG product I've found so far. Already returned it.

on 6/11/2014 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This sunscreen is great for oily skin but full of alcohol... Matte powdery finish, no greasy finish at all. It leaves a bit of a white cast but it's ok with makeup on. Consistency is very watery so a bit difficult to know how much you put on, i mean 1/4 teaspoon of this is definitely not enough. Not sure i will repurchase as it is quite expensive for a tiny tube that shouldn't last you more than 3 weeks if you apply a good quantity.

on 4/25/2013 6:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

oh yes, super light weight and it disappear in seconds into your skin. it has both chemical and natural sunscreen ingredients. non shinning and no strong smell, very matte. i dont know about the claim that it protects the urban environment, i am doubtful that it does anything apart from the sun UVA UVB.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this product. Out of three sunblocks I have tried this year, Lancome, two different Peter Thomas Roth products and now Shiseido, this is the one I love so far. I am very fair-skinned. I don't like to tan. I don't see any point to it. I like my fair skin. If I go out in the sun without protection, I start to sprout a few freckles automatically and there goes my fair complexion. With that being said, here's my review.
I believe in protecting my skin. I've had one bad sunburn in my life. One. That's how much I believe in protection. I'm adamant about it. I will not go outside without something on my skin. The other three that I've tried did their jobs, yes, but not without a feeling of goopiness in doing it. I use serums, moisturizers and in the winter sometimes a foundation and in the summer, I'll use a tinted moisturizer. The problem with those tinted moisturizers is that they are not strong enough with their sunscreen spf's. So I need to add an additional sunscreen.
Shiseido's Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector For Face SPF 42 is perfect to add to my regimen. The bottle is small enough to tuck into my purse. It has a little ball in it so when you shake it, it blends well. The top screws off and doesn't leak.
Applying it is a breeze. It's light and greaseless. That's exactly what I wanted in a sunscreen when I would be applying it on top of other products. I didn't want a greasy look that I would have to tone down with a powder. It actually gives me a matte type finish. It is white but doesn't give me a white face. Perhaps that's because I'm so fair-skinned. I live in the North, but so far, I have not seen any freckles and it's too early to tell about any sunburn. I never really go out sunning so that's not really a concern.
What I do know is that application is a breeze on top of other products, it's lasting, a little spreads easily across my skin, it's blendable and the scent is quite pleasant. When I run out, I'm buying another, without a doubt. I won't waste my money on trying another brand, because I've found one that works. Non-greasy, non-shiny, spreadable, doesn't turn my face white, keeps my face from burning, works with other products on my face? What more could I ask for? My HG of suncare.