SHISEIDO Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

Filtered by skin type : Dry
SHISEIDO Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

OCTINOXATE 7.4% Sunscreen OCTOCRYLENE 3.0% Sunscreen ZINC OXIDE 8.6% Sunscreen WATER • DIMETHICONE • ISODODECANE • SD ALpCOHOL 40-B • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE • GLYCERIN • POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE • VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER • POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9/1 COPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER • XYLITOL • METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER • THIOTAURINE • SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT • PAEONIA ALBIFLORA ROOT EXTRACT • ONONIS SPINOSA ROOT EXTRACT • ECTOIN • LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE • TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • DISODIUM EDTA • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • BHT • SYZYGIUM JAMBOS LEAF EXTRACT • TOCOPHEROL • PHENOXYETHANOL • BENZOIC ACID • FRAGRANCE • MICA • TITANIUM DIOXIDE •

on 10/6/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

For years I've used Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection lotion -- the one in the blue and orange bottle - and thought it was great. But when they took the SPF down to 38 (I have melasma and need at least 40) I started looking for alternatives.

I am in my 50s with dry/combination skin. This sunscreen is PERFECTION. It melts into your face, doesn't mess up foundation and even provides a (slight) matifying effect - perfect for my shiny nose. I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS STUFF! The only issue is it's literally more than 3x the price of my former Shiseido product - $32 for one ounce! And yes this bottle is tiny. (Of course, it's beautiful yet practical packaging like all Shiseido products.)

I'm going to have to figure out where else to cut back so I can put this in my budget permanently, because I don't think I can live without it. The only downside is I sometimes feel myself skimping on application because it is so pricey - not a good thing with sunscreen!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this product. Out of three sunblocks I have tried this year, Lancome, two different Peter Thomas Roth products and now Shiseido, this is the one I love so far. I am very fair-skinned. I don't like to tan. I don't see any point to it. I like my fair skin. If I go out in the sun without protection, I start to sprout a few freckles automatically and there goes my fair complexion. With that being said, here's my review.
I believe in protecting my skin. I've had one bad sunburn in my life. One. That's how much I believe in protection. I'm adamant about it. I will not go outside without something on my skin. The other three that I've tried did their jobs, yes, but not without a feeling of goopiness in doing it. I use serums, moisturizers and in the winter sometimes a foundation and in the summer, I'll use a tinted moisturizer. The problem with those tinted moisturizers is that they are not strong enough with their sunscreen spf's. So I need to add an additional sunscreen.
Shiseido's Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector For Face SPF 42 is perfect to add to my regimen. The bottle is small enough to tuck into my purse. It has a little ball in it so when you shake it, it blends well. The top screws off and doesn't leak.
Applying it is a breeze. It's light and greaseless. That's exactly what I wanted in a sunscreen when I would be applying it on top of other products. I didn't want a greasy look that I would have to tone down with a powder. It actually gives me a matte type finish. It is white but doesn't give me a white face. Perhaps that's because I'm so fair-skinned. I live in the North, but so far, I have not seen any freckles and it's too early to tell about any sunburn. I never really go out sunning so that's not really a concern.
What I do know is that application is a breeze on top of other products, it's lasting, a little spreads easily across my skin, it's blendable and the scent is quite pleasant. When I run out, I'm buying another, without a doubt. I won't waste my money on trying another brand, because I've found one that works. Non-greasy, non-shiny, spreadable, doesn't turn my face white, keeps my face from burning, works with other products on my face? What more could I ask for? My HG of suncare.

on 2/8/2013 11:51:00 AM

This is a fluid sunscreen with a higher SPF, suitable for wearing under makeup. I've read conflicting information online about whether this is a chemical or physical sunscreen--it certainly FEELS like a chemical product, but I found it a tad drying and experienced some breakouts, so I will not repurchase.

Price: At $30 for 1 ounce, this stuff certainly isn't inexpensive. Most literature today recommends using a separate sunscreen instead of relying on whatever is available through your makeup, so I got a sample to start.

Packaging: snap top, easy to handle.

Product: This product has a fluid application and very lightweight feel--it pours from the packaging and disappears into skin like water. It does have a slight scent, although that may be a byproduct of the sunscreen rather than an added fragrance. I was able to use this over my regular moisturizer, and then apply my foundation on top without issue. As stated earlier, I thought this was a little bit drying for my already-dry skin, and you don't get much for the price, so I am going to keep looking for a daily sunscreen.