Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Soufflé

Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Soufflé

3.7

Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract , Pectin , Vegetable Glycerin , Adansonia Digitata Pulp Extract (Baobab) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5) , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Linum Usitatissimum Seed Extract (Linseed/Flax) , Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract , Potassium Sorbate , Proprietary Essential Oil Blend

on 4/12/2016 5:57:00 AM

This is my favorite gel to use, I don't use any other gel in my hair. I have very thick, long, curly, and frizzy hair. I don't mind a little frizz, but anyways this product smells super good, it reminds me of a tropical island. The only thing I don't like about this is that it use to be gel and gooey, like the type of gel you usually can picture in your head. Now when you open it, it's like solid looking but it still jiggles so you can still use it, but the last time I bought this it came out all chunky like and left gel chunks in my hair. I thought buying it like that would be a one time thing and maybe I just got a messed up one but I recently bought another one and it's still in that solid like form! I have to mix it with my hands to make it gel and it still feels like little gel chunks are in it!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is in my rotation of curl products, but it's not something I reach for often.
It enhances and defines waves, but it leaves my thick, past-the-shoulders hair with that wet look. If I use too much it can easily become clumpy and greasy-looking.
The biggest problem I have with this is the texture of the gel: It feels like there are little granules in it, and it has a sticky, heavy quality to it.
The tub packaging is annoying, it's hard to pick up the right amount of product, and dipping your fingers into the tub just magnifies the weird texture of the gel.

I have recently discovered that when combined with the curl enhancing smoothie from the same line (which does absolutely nothing on it's own), the wet look is diminished. I emulsify equal parts of each between my palms and coat my hair in large sections.
The tub lasts forever as it needs to be used sparingly.

To Read all 34 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/30/2015 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is a good gel to use with the rest of the Shea Moisture line of products. I usually use this product on the ends only because it has a heavier feel and helps hold the curls in place.

I have 2b curls, thick, frizzy, very dry. I like using natural pomades as a finishing product.
I put the souffle evenly on my wet clean hair and let air dry. It really brought out big bouncy curls with not that much frizz. However, if I touch the hair, it feels slightly crunchy/tacky/sticky.

So it has good control for those days when you want your natural curls to behave and look nice for work or school.
It is not good if you have a date and he might touch your hair. I would never let a guy run his fingers through my hair with this product in it! Also, I wore a sundress and my hair was against my skin and the product left a light residue on my back.
I'll use up the product but I won't repurchase. Still on the lookout for that HG curl finishing cream.

on 8/12/2015 2:45:00 AM

I agree with the reviewer below, this felt funny - kinda oily, kinda sticky.

I have very fine 2a/2b hair, but a lot of it, and I adore Shea Moisture products, but this one seems to be the exception.

I applied a small amount to freshly washed hair, scrunched it and then let air dry, which took forever! Afterwards, though my curls were defined and shiny, they were also very stiff and felt weird and sticky to the touch.

Second day was worse as my hair seemed to clump together in a matted mess and refused to be combed through. Had to wash it using a clarifying shampoo, which I normally hate doing as I colour my hair, but it was the only way I could get this stuff out of my hair.

Do not recommend.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was expecting this to be more like a gel, ya know you'd apply it and it would eventually dry. But it has an odd sticky and oily feel that doesn't seem to go away. I mean it dried but when you touch it you get a sticky oily residue on your fingers. It does make your hair shiny though :) so I don't recommend this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I was really disappointed with this product because it was very very sticky and felt like I was literally applying honey to my hair. I added it in while my hair was damp and scrunched it in, and it knotted my hair up, and by the time my hair had dried, it felt like a big stiff mess. I rinsed it out and it still left some residue. I have curly, frizzy hair, and although it did take care of some of the frizz (only because it weighed it down), it did not define my curls but rather made them sticky and unruly. I would NOT buy this product again, and I returned it back to the store after I tried it out.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product left my hair in a poofy, greasy mess. I give it 2 lippies because it offered moisture when I needed it, but truly, this product did nothing for me. I do not use any heat styling tools, so it also took forever for my hair to dry. I was literally dripping water from my hair for over 4 hours.

It was uncomfortable to be both extremely greasy and sopping wet on my head for that long, and to a certain extent, even ruined my evening the night that I used it.

This product is awesome. I use enough to cover my finger tips and holds my curls for 3 to 4 days. Makes them extremely shinny. I have 3b thin, fine, colored hair.

on 8/20/2014 6:12:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is working well for me. My hair is long, coarse (some gray), thick, and wavy with ends that turn into coils when it gets long enough (is that 3b/3c? I can never remember!) I guess I'm on a modified curly-girl routine--shampoo about once a week, use the S.M. conditioner as a rinse-out and/or leave-in the rest of the time, follow with the S.M. styling milk raked thru wet hair in the shower and then shake it around a bit to let curls fall into place. Once out of the shower I squeeze the ends gently with a micro towel to remove dripping water and add this souffle. MUA was so helpful in making me go easy on the amount--I use just what I pick up by dipping my fingers into the tub once. Scrunch that mostly on ends, run my hands over the top to finish, and air dry. (I try to never blow dry but had to once, and this product combo seemed to hold up well with that too.) I get waves and curly ends that separate and hold their shape but never feel stiff or crunchy--just what I've always wanted! Sure there are bad weather days or rushed days when it doesn't all come out the way I want, but overall I like the ingredients (and they don't leave any plastic-y residue) and using the whole line together makes it simple. I have a lot less hair trauma since getting this routine down but it did take a good bit of experimenting, so if you're tempted by these products I urge you to keep trying.