3.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

One of my faves. I use the waterproof version. It's definitely not dramatic, so I prefer it on bottom lashes or for simple daytime looks. Of course it would get lost on top of a smoky eye, but there are better options for dramatic looks (e.g. Lash Princess falsies effect). It separates, defines and adds a bit of length without the volume. Tips of the lashes don't look weird or clumpy when I use this. It's so natural and understated yet I got compliments when I applied it. The tube is small and simple, so is the brush. I like that it doesn't gather much excess so you don't need to wipe off the product. Apply it carefully because if it gets on your skin it won't come off easily (you can dab concealer on top) - but it's not a big problem since the brush is small and skinny. All in all it's my daytime look / bottom lashes workhorse. It's my second tube and I will keep buying it. + Pros: + natural + gives definition and doesn't clump + waterproof + handy small brush + affordable - Cons: - don't expect it to add volume or lots of length - hard to clean up if you smudge it during application (which is not uncommon in waterproof formulas)

About reviewer (35 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

EyesBlack

1.0

2 years ago

I have the waterproof version of this. It claims to be a "multi effect mascara which gives extra volume, length, curl, thickness and separation". It only really does one of those things, and it thickens lashes by being ridiculously clumpy with just one light coat of the stuff. It also smears badly after it's applied and flakes quite badly after a few hours. The brush is much too small for my liking (and i hate big mascara brushes). It's quite easy to prod yourself in the eye when applying and i always end getting it on my eyelids. I think it weighs down the lashes too. I know it's only cheap (£2) but a useless product is a waste of money. Plus nowadays I only ever buy mascaras that are under £3 and there are some great ones out there. On the plus side the packaging is cute and it's fairly waterproof.

About reviewer (57 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesGray

3 years ago

Great everyday mascara that can be built up to suit more dramatic looks, too. Very separating and quite waterproof, have not tested it swimming though since I don't think that's what waterproof mascaras are initially even made for. It does survive rain and crying for the most part. It's easy and quick to work with, quite black and the price is the best you can get. I love how affordable yet good Essence mascaras are, just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad. I recommend Essence mascaras to everyone because the price won't break the bank even if you don't end up liking it for one reason or another. More expensive mascaras contain better ingredients and that's the only reason why I can think of wanting to invest in a more higher priced one in the future.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Relaxed, Medium

EyesBlue

3 years ago

This is my second tube. It's very nice for daytime, it separates very well without giving that spidery look which I REALLY hate. My HG mascara is Naturally Glossy mascara by Clinique, but since it costs almost 20 bucks, I sometimes try to find dupes. I wouldn't say this one is a dupe for clinique's but the natural result is a similar look without clumping. Also this mascara doesn't flake (it's waterproof). It's cheap, here in Italy it cost 2,50 euro. So I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone who likes natural looking and separated lashes.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

from

3 years ago

This is a good budget-friendly mascara. It doesn't clump too much or anything, I don't have to spend a lot of time putting on mascara, it's easy to work with. I prefer seperated lashed, not spiderly stuck together, and it's easy to achieve it with this one, without having to work with a seperate eye-lash brush. I do hate how there's no seal on the packaging, Essence - please put a lil' piece of tape or sticker on it. There's no way to know how many people have opened it and contaminated it or if it's already old and drying out. For this reason, I think I'll take a break from this mascara and come back if they fix it in the future.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBrunette

4 years ago

This is a really good, extremely affordable mascara. It darkens lashes and does a decent job at separating. This is great for everyday use; Work, school, minimal makeup look days, etc. For the price, you really can't go wrong with this. I wrote in a review on another Essence mascara that the packaging isn't ideal since the tubes aren't sealed in any way, and that's the same deal with this one. I do really wish the company would change that. I would definitely repurchase this, but there are many other Essence mascaras I'd like to try out as well so I'll probably do that first!

About reviewer (31 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

4 years ago

I love this budget waterproof mascara! It's 100% clump-free, the smaller brush means it gets right down to the base of the lashes to define them and the waterproof formula has lasted through many a sweaty gym workout. It's crazy affordable too so I already have a backup on hand. It's not volumizing but I don't particularly want huge lashes for everyday anyway so this suits me just fine for the gym or regular makeup days.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

4 years ago

I have never had a taste for mascaras, as it disappears with the huge amount of eyeliner I put on everyday. This one, anyway, does the job and is totally waterproof - cleaning it meant wasting at least 4 cotton pads and no full result. No particular clumping or other negative sides. Very good performance for the ridicolous price.

About reviewer (120 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

The only things I look for in a mascara: cheap, not too black. Flaking/smudging isn't a big issue for me because most makeup is meant to come off your face at some point. Some formulas might prevent that for longer periods of time, but no matter what it's gonna happen. Low expectations are key whenever I try anything new. My last mascara dried out, so I had to find another option (it was Maybelline Mega Plush that I somehow got for 98 cents through clearance/coupons). I'm a poor college student and I don't wear mascara that often, but every now and again I like to feel fancy. I paid 2.99 for this after figuring out that it was the cheapest mascara at Ulta. I have tried Maybelline Great Lash in the past and I have to say that the brush on this essence one is almost identical. Maybe a bit bigger. Great Lash does seem wetter than this. The essence formula is not too dry, not too wet. The black is PERFECT. I'm a brunette and my lashes are already pretty dark. This shade of black is just black, not extreme midnight black like so many other "black" formulas. I think that it might look more dramatic on people with lighter lashes. This is also not the most extreme mascara in the world. It makes your lashes darker/emphasizes what you already have. It also adds a hint of volume. It's very "my lashes but better" on me (Is that a thing?). It flaked a little as I was applying it but otherwise it just stays put. It is easy to remove which is a definite plus. Overall it suits my needs. The tubes in the store are not sealed though which i know bothers some people. I have no idea what people could do to tamper with this though (try it on in the store?) so I'm not going to let that stop me from repurchasing. For 2.99 try it. what's the worst that could happen?

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOther, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

from

4 years ago

This is a very basic mascara. It provides some colour and definition but does not lengthen or volumize dramatically. It provides a natural look which would be great if it lasted, but unfortunately the mascara flakes quite badly. There is absolutely nothing special about this mascara and I would not repurchase. There are just too many good, inexpensive mascaras out there that it's silly to repurchase something that doesn't perform.

About reviewer (125 reviews)

Age36-43