Essie Play Date

Essie Play Date

4.5

on 9/21/2016 2:52:00 PM

Great shade! Essie's Play Date is a bright, Easter Egg shade of lavender. It's on the darker side of lavender but not quite purple. It's very cute and flattering on the nail, I really like this one a lot.

Excellent formula with this one. Opaque in two coats and no problems with application or wear. Essie can be hit-or-miss formula-wise, but I think they've come a long way in recent years. And Play date didn't give me any problems.

Would definitely buy this one again. Recommended!

on 5/6/2016 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

One of Essie's best. Unlike some of their shades, this is not watery and it's not streaky. I can easily achieve opacity, and the color is just so pretty. It looks great with a tan but it also works on my pale, coming-out-of-winter skin, so it's a lovely shade to segue into spring with. This seems to look nice on almost anyone. The color has a bit more pop than a lot of lavender/lilac shades. Subtle enough to wear to work, but cute enough for casual, summer stuff. A winner for sure.

The formula on Play Date is lovely! It dries quickly and reaches opacity in two coats with no streakiness. The colour is a bright lilac colour, which is not pastel but lighter than a true purple. It reminds me of OPI's A Grape Fit, though Play Date may be a smidgen lighter. The colour is beautiful and wearable, definitely one of my favourite Essie colours. Lasting power is great, like all Essie polishes.

on 6/9/2015 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Finally, an Essie polish I like! This one doesn't seem as thin or streaky as the paler neutral shades I've used. Instead, it a bright, rich, deep purple-orchid that I can't stop staring at. If you like violet cream shades, you will love this one.

on 5/4/2015 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I like the color but as with many Essie polishes it is thin. I had to use three to four coats to achieve the color I was looking for. The reason I keep going back to Essie is the durability. I painted my toe nails 10 days ago and only used one coat of top coat. They still look as good as the first day, that's why I love essie!

on 2/27/2015 1:53:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought this hoping for a dupe of Sephora by OPI Iris I was Thinner, this is not quite it. It's a little lighter and a bit more "easter-ish" imo. That being said it's not a bad it's medium lavender shade, fairly shiny, needed 2 thicker coats to cover without streaks. I personally probably would not repurchase because it's not what I wanted but formula wise it's fine. So I rated it a "buy again" since there's no real reason to bring the rating down on this.

on 2/5/2015 3:27:00 PM

Fun, all year colour!

on 7/2/2014 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Really liked this color! It's darker than a pastel, more of a light-medium shade of lilac/orchid, and 2 coats makes it opaque. I use this on my toes, and think a coral color on my fingers might look nice for summer. I am a fan of both OPI and Essie, but OPI seems to get a little goopier quicker.

on 4/15/2014 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

One of my favorite polishes ever. This color is just stunning. It's a gorgeous lilac/lavender color but not as pale. It's more orchid to me. Very much the color of the year and looks great for spring.

Formula is great and is not streaky. Fully opaque in 2 coats.

on 4/12/2014 8:29:00 PM

This is a lovely light shade of purple. Great for the spring. It looks similar to OPI's Do you Lilac it? but not too similar.

Took 3 shades to get the streaks out. But overall a very easy application and I really like this colour.

Popular Polishes