3.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

19 days ago

This review is for the latest version. What Givenchy have done to L'Inderdit should be considered a crime against perfume. The original is among my favorite perfumes that combine the light-heartedness of fruit with the elegance, sophistication and complexity of everything else like floral and animalic notes. I think of Le Parfum de Therese as my personal No.1 in this category but the original L'Interdit is also an unforgettable work of art in its own right. The latest version is a shadow of the shadow of everything the original represented IMO and is a total disappointment in other ways as well. For one thing, it does not deliver. The airy and sweet fruity opening with pear - which I actually love- very quickly leads to some indescript white flower that leads to a generic powdery vanilla base. None of this would be bad but the scent is so indescript that I cannot even consider this an olfactory experience. I don't see why we need to pay that much for it when some clean smelling drugstore brand would be able to produce the same end-result. It has weak sillage and the lasting power is not good. If I spray more, it only gets sweeter and more powdery but does not evoke anything particularly beautiful. At this price range, and with that heritage, I certainly expect more. I seriously think a similar experience or effect could be created by layering a light Avon fruit with some light powder smell. That would be DIY, creative in itself and respectable in my eyes. Sad because I really really love L'ınterdit.

About reviewer (608 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairRed

EyesHazel

7 months ago

i never knew there was an original version of this until well after i bought it; i didn't care because i am not obsessed with audrey hepburn and have never owned anything from givenchy (perfume or otherwise). i just like trying new fragrances and i liked this one. in fact, i still like it. i truly do. it's syrupy and sweet but with enough depth for my taste. unfortunately there is little to no staying power (which is why i rated this as being expensive).

About reviewer (185 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

a year ago

Powdery at first but very overwhelming and strong after it settles, ever present. Unfortunately doesn't suit my skin.

About reviewer (132 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Other, Other

4 years ago

L' Interdit -- Forbidden. This review is for L'Interdit II EdT. Top Notes: Strawberry. Heart Notes: Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Freesia, Violet, Sunflower, Ylang-Ylang. Base Notes: Musk, Sandalwood, Incense. I recently purchased a bottle of this in what I believe is the newer formulation, a 3 2/3 oz EdT in the tall bottle with a metal cap that is quite similar to the bottles used for Ysatis and Organza. I could not stop myself from spritzing it right away as I am so enamoured with Givenchy's Ysatis and Organza, and overall I am quite impressed with L' Interdict as well, although it is vastly different from both Ystatis and Organza. I have worn it several times thus far, and my impressions are as follows. It is a gorgeous fruity, floral, woody, musky but CLEAN fragrance with NO patchouli--a welcomed difference. It is VERY feminine; very soft; and, very fruity upon initial application. Then it soon turns much more floral. I think the sillage, projection, and longevity on this one will be one of my worst, though, possibly worse then the current Apres L'Ondee EdT, but I hardly expected it to be a powerhouse, a heavy hitter like Opium for example. It is simply not that sort of parfum. It is the type of fragrance that once one gets a sniff of it, however, one would want to move in much closer to the wearer in order to get a better sniff. : ) I definitely get a fresh, red, JUICY but tart strawberry in the top. Then it quickly dries down to sandalwood and musk with hints of rose and probably violet peeking through the sandalwood and musk. It seems to be very well blended. I cannot tease out any sunflower, freesia, jasmine, or incense, and I definitely do not detect any ylang-ylang which is a note I truly enjoy. My nose it pretty untutored overall, though, so I may be missing some of the notes that more experienced noses could readily discern. L' Interdit has something of a "perfumey" vibe about it. It does not smell like any currently made accessibly priced fragrances of today which all tend to smell fairly sweet to my nose. This composition definitely seems to have a vintage vibe to it if compared with, for example, Madonna ToD Naked which is quite heavy on the honeysuckle, vanilla orchid, and peach blossom notes, and is thus quite sweet. L' Interdit's sweetness is of a different variety---it is less artificial, less synthetic, truer to nature, and I LIKE THAT about it! Within thirty minutes of application, L' Interdit pretty much begins to lean toward becoming a skin scent, albeit a very feminine, floral one. Projection could not be more than a foot at that point as far as I can tell, and I imagine sillage is very soft indeed. A heavier hand is definitely possible with this one. Thirty minutes after application, it is slightly woody, quite floral, but not at all either sugary sweet or balsamic. Actually, the strawberry makes it smell more tart than sweet from the very beginning. Overall, I really like it, and I am not at all sorry I bought it blind. It seems VERY spring/summer like to me, very fresh and very French. I do not think this L' Interdit would perform as well in cold weather, but I could be wrong. It is pretty warm here again today as I wear this parfum. In my opinion, L' Interdit is a fairly light, woody, fruity, floral that has a fresh, young, French vibe to it. I doubt anyone could possibly find this fragrance offensive. I believe it would work for both daytime and night time wear in virtually any environmental setting, including around children and/or elderly people. I think it would work well on a woman of just about any age, too. Although it is not synthetically sugary sweet, I bet its natural, authentic floral sweetness would attract bees and wasps if one wears it out of doors! Definitely recommend this one if you like fresh florals with a woody, musky base. Fragrance: 8.5/10 Sillage: 3/10 Projection: 3/10 Longevity: 4/10 All in all, this is another successful blind buy for me, and although I could not claim that this is a "sexy" fragrance, I definitely think it is a very cuddly fragrance that gentlemen would appreciate smelling on their ladies. As a floral, it is MUCH more sophisticated smelling than the florals from the very early 20th century. Definitely not a soliflore. Definitely VERY FRENCH. It leans toward the demure but very feminine side of the spectrum. I do not think this fragrance is unisex at all, though. Sorry gentlemen. ETA: In the very deep dry down, L'Interdit smells a little bit powdery but not overwhelming so. I am quite taken with this lovely fragrance. : )

About reviewer (83 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

1.0

10 years ago

The original l'Interdit was a wonderful classicly elegant scent. The "reworked" scent is a cheap trashy smelling scent which smell like a "just like" or "our version of" scent which you can get at a $ store for $5.95 (full price). WHY did Givenchy hang the name of a beautiful classic scent on this cheap imposter? They are not even close to being the same.

About reviewer (262 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

EyesGreen

10 years ago

I never had the privilege of sampling the original, only a decant of the reformulation. The top notes are a beautiful blend of strawberry, currant, and rose, and after that it transforms into the scent of dried wheatgrass, with a touch of pepper and musk. Toward the very end, it morphs into a clean, soapy smell that I like. The grassy, musky aspect doesn't quite work with my chemistry, but it's not altogether unpleasant. If only I could fast-forward to the soapy part at the end! That's the best part. UPDATE SEPT. 11, 2011: I have finally acquired a bottle of the vintage parfum, and it is strikingly different from the reformulated version I reviewed a year and a half ago. The vintage parfum has an airy sweetness that stops just short of being powdery. It is much like the airy sweetness found in the drydown of other vintage scents such as Arpege, Crepe de Chine, and Dioressence. It could be that my bottle is simply very old, but I'm not getting any obvious peach, strawberry, or rose at any stage of the fragrance's development, which is fine by me. What I'm experiencing from this bottle is about five minutes of slightly bitter aldehydes followed immediately by the warm, airy sweetness I alluded to above. It's absolutely gorgeous. I'd rate the reformulation a 3 and the vintage scent a 5, so this averages out to a 4.

About reviewer (135 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

11 years ago

Classy, powdery, spicy floral. My review is for the Mystiques version and I have to say that this fragrance is beautiful. I have not smelled neither the original nor the reformulation but I think I'll have to track both down to see how they compare. In the meantime, I think I need a bottle of L'Interdit for fall. Edit: Aug 19, 2009: I got a chance to smell the 2002 version of L'Interdit and it's definitely a different fragrance from the 2007 version. The 2002 L'Interdit is a fruity-floral that dries down to a soapy-floral. Really smells like shampoo more than anything.

About reviewer (249 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

1.0

11 years ago

Oh for heavens sake, who is Givenchy trying to fool? This smells like L'Interdit for about one minute, then it floats into a generic white musk fragrance. I wouldn't call it milky, it's just cheap white musk, somewhere between Musc Clair and Jovan White Musk. This is nothing like the original L'Interdit. Sorry, but Audrey wouldn't have be caught dead in this stuff.

About reviewer (38 reviews)

Age

SkinOther

HairOther

12 years ago

Very pretty! The card for it says it has red current, Bulgarian Rose and a touch of musk and incense. The rose is not soapy or overbearing; nice blending here. It smells fresh. Apparently there are woods and grasses in here too. I like it!

About reviewer (763 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Other, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

12 years ago

I am reviewing the original parfum and NOT the current reformulation that bears absolutely no resemblance other than the name. The original parfum came in a read silk-covered box and the perfume was ultra-feminine, intimate, and ethereal. It melted into my skin and created an aura of uber-femininity that I have not been able to experience with any other perfume. Men always commented on how I -not my perfume, smelled beautiful and that the fragrance stayed on their mind.Truly worthy of it's name L'Interdit (the forbidden), and perhaps the only perfume I have ever owned that achieved signature scent status until I ran out and could no longer replace it.

About reviewer (635 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral