Aveda Invati Exfoliating Shampoo

3.2

on 7/11/2016 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm kind of on the fence with this product. I've given it a fair trial. I've used it for well over a year. I certainly don't think it has helped grow any hair back....but it may have slowed the thinning process a little bit.
My hair looks very healthy and has great shine.
I really don't like the thin consistency. I've gotten it in my eyes more than once.

on 1/28/2016 12:40:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I have always had thin hair strands, but lots of them. Then I started loosing hair on my crown. My grandmother and mother did too. I've been using this system for 1 yr - shampoo & conditioner 2x/wk (Color Conserve the rest of the wk) and Revitalizer 2x/DAY. It's definitely stopped my hair loss! The secret sauce of this system is the Revitalizer. Twice a day every day is a must.

To Read all 33 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/22/2015 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I just started using the 3 piece Invati system a couple weeks ago. My 3a/2c curly hair is thinning do badly and I'm positively desperate (more so the 3a areas on the sides and top of my scalp).

I don't know yet if the product is really accomplishing anything but I am hopeful. Too soon to tell yet.

However.

Typically any shampoo that lathers, even if it's sulfate-free, dries my hair out horribly. And, typically, Aveda products have left my hair feeling like straw. This is different though. It's a thinner creamy consistency and it lathers, but my hair does not feel parched when I rinse it out. It's thinner than most shampoos but not as liquid-y as, say, the phyto shampoo for thinning hair.

I let it sit on my head and really work it in good before rinsing and following with the Invati conditioner. My hair feels soft but not slippery or limp. Also leaves my curls a little more shiny (which the devacurl no poo left on the dull side). My hair has been manageable and easy to work with. Not dry at all. Happy so far.

First, a little background about my hair type:

Previously bleached to lift more than 4 levels, prone to frizz, medium + tangly, wavy texture, normal density- but I have worn clip-in extensions frequently for years, so tugging/tearing has inevitably occurred, resulting in very mild traction alopecia- no bald spots, just normal/gradual thinning of already delicate hair strands.

Due to all of these factors, I have experienced slowed growth and breakage due to damage. To treat this, I have tried hundreds of products, some have made matters worse (protein overloads causing even more breakage) but a few have made their way to "holy grail" status, allowing me to have the freedom of experimenting with my hair without fear.

Among repurchased, "HG" products, I have been sticking with a Asian ginseng hair tonic for over two years. It has improved my scalp and hair health, and has significantly promoted my growth. After such positive personal experience with this ingredient, I researched it myself and have found that there are several recent studies which provide evidence that ginseng does in fact directly contribute to optimal hair growth. Because of this, along with my own successful results, I definitely keep an eye out for products which contain ginseng.

So, when I read of these somewhat new products, the Invati System by Aveda, and discovered it does indeed use ginseng as one of its substantial ingredients, I became interested enough to read more about it.

Before I look at reviews and testimonials, I check out ingredient lists. As someone who has several years of experimenting with different products making the very same claims, I really found Aveda's Invati System to have a solid formula with a list containing countless tried and true ingredients.

I did a little more research on this system and decided that it was definitely a product for me. The price is salon comparable, and I have spent much more in the past on less delivering hair revitalizing remedies. I think that because it does include three different functioning products which deliver effective results, that it is definitely worth it.

Upon first receiving my Invati System, while just opening the packaging, the first thing I noticed was definitely the aroma. Many compare your head's scent to that of an herbal shop when using this product, and I concur. It's not that it's offensive, just strong- even my cat was sniffing my scalp that evening. To me, the fragrance probably just represents the concentration of what's inside. Added perfume or fragrant ingredients aren't particularly what I want to see in any product I use for my hair/face/body as they are irritants to the scalp. The scent is natural and herbal due to the content, and the content is what makes this product WORK!

I will say with after just my first use of this system, that I knew I would repurchase! Yes, I noticed results after my very first use! The shampoo and conditioner left my scalp feeling clean and balanced in the shower. I got a perfect lather from the shampoo when massaging it into my scalp, which I spent several minutes doing because it felt so good! I appreciate the liquid consistency of the shampoo which makes it very simple to distribute onto the scalp. The conditioner absorbed into my hair very quickly, detangling it immediately and leaving my hair feeling hydrated. The revitalizer nozzle makes directly streaming the tonic onto my scalp easy and is definitely one of my favorite steps.

While this product did not make my over-processed hair feel dry, I do think that because the Invati System is primarily a scalp treatment, that additional hair conditioners (masks or leave-ins) should be applied regularly for specialized moisture or protein balance.

I would say this is the best product on the market right now for a hair thinning system. Will repurchase over and over! :)

on 1/6/2015 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this shampoo. I use it along with the Scalp Benefits conditioner. My hair isn't thin, but it is thinner than it used to be, and my scalp can get itchy. This product combination leaves my hair soft, shiny and full of body. It also stays looking clean for several days, which is a big plus for me. I don't like to shampoo everyday. It has kind of a weird smell and it's thin, but the results are worth it.

It dries my hair and make me feel itchy. It is expensive, I prefer Kerastase.

I purchased AVEDA Invati Kit for 89 and it seems to do the trick for me. Absorbs right in your scalp and helps irritation and hair loss reduction. One beneficial factor is that it has this spicy scent of clinically proven with medical herbs that actually help reduce hair loss which I am quite proud of as a customer purchasing the product for the first time. The 'Scalp Revitalizer Spray', has worked tremendously on my scalp. I know it says you must spray 16 times a day and most people follow and some people may find burning and dissatisfying results. Reason being; you are using too much, it contains a lot of alcohol and some chemicals that will irritate your skin and cause burning sensation. Warning do not spray too much!! ;). Personally, for me, I essentially use it once a day and it seems to work, because I know my skin is very sensitive and does not need too much application.
The reason why I would not buy again is because its too costly not because of the product. The product is fab but for such a small amount. Once my hair regrowth and regenerates will purchase 'Moroccan Oil' Shampoo, Conditioner and Refining Smoother to help me lighten my hair, grow, look and feel amazing.
Negatives will be: Its too costly for such small hair loss products which in Boots, Debenhams will find better options.
Positives: It really works!!

on 9/15/2014 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This shampoo made my hair really dry, crunchy and frizzy. I used several sample sets and used the whole system as per instructions. They just didn't work for me. Won't purchase the full sizes.

on 4/27/2014 9:16:00 AM

I wish I could go back in time and take back my decision to buy the Invati system. I will be discontinuing use of this product immediately and go back to my trustworthy product, Nioxin. I switched because I liked the idea of using something more natural with less chemicals, but this just is not the product for me.
My hair is naturally think, but thinning. I do not have fine hair, but I feel like I do with these products. The conditioner is supposed to be thickening, but after I styled my hair it looked less thick and full. They claim this is exfoliating, I did not realize that meant my scalp would flake. My scalp is itchy now and flaking. My hair is dull and lacks shine. The price for the size of product is ridiculous. Another expensive product for the trash can. I wish I had read the reviews before trying.
The only thing I can say I did like was the smell. I like Aveda's products normally as they smell nice and earthy.

Ok, so with fine, short and slightly thinning hair - and my wedding approaching, I thought I'd give the Invati system a go - this is a review for the shampoo element, although you should note that I am using the whole system (Shampoo, Conditioner, Scalp Revitaliser).

So I wash my hair on a daily basis, and prior to starting with the invati system, I tended to use standard drug store shampoo only (L'Oreal for Men in the silver bottle), no conditioner!

However, in my opinion the Invati shampoo is quite drying and therefore needs a conditioner, so I've used the matching one, and together they work well and don't weigh down my short fine locks. But for girls with longer or drier hair, I think you'll be needing to at least do a deep conditioning treatment once a week or so.

Price: Expensive - £20.50 / $27 - this is expensive, although as I only need a small amount the small 200ml/6.7fl oz bottle is lasting quite well - for UK based ladies, John Lewis often "price matches a competitor", and offers 10% off - its worth looking out for that IMO.

Texture - thick ish, easy to work through the hair, and rinses out relatively easily - you also don't need a lot, which is a good thing, given the price.
Colour - a slightly disturbing mustard yellow, however as I have dark brown hair, that isn't dyed or chemically treated this isn't a problem, it might be though, if you have light coloured or highlighted hair.
Smell wise - it's OK - a bit curry/medicinal, not as lovely as I would expect from a high end shampoo like this - my L'Oreal for men smelt a lot better!

Overall, having used the Invati system for a month, I have noticed that my hair looks and feels fuller, so I'm continuing for the full 12 weeks recommended on this programme.

Popular Shampoos