Davines Ol Absolute Beautifying Potion

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Davines Ol Absolute Beautifying Potion
Ol Absolute Beautifying PotionOl Absolute Beautifying Potion

4.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Disiloxane, Dimethiconol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Methoxcinnamate/Octinoxate, Partum/Fragrance, Bixa Orellana Seed Oil, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Tocopherol

on 8/1/2012 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After using MoroccanOil for over a year on my thick, coarse, long, dry, naturally curly hair, my stylist recommending this product instead. She said it has a lighter texture and gives more shine, and she was the stylist who got me using MorrocanOil in the first place. I instantly noticed that my hair was shinier than with MoroccanOil and I also like the scent better (musky, but not as intense as MorccanOil’s musky fragrance). I like that it comes in a pump with a cap and a travel-friendly plastic bottle, instead of MoroccanOil’s glass bottle. It’s still pricey, about $35 for 4.56 fl. oz., versus MoroccanOil at $40 for 3.4 fl. oz. In the shower after rinsing my hair, I apply John Frieda Frizz-Ease Original Hair Serum to soaking wet hair, then ring my hair out and wrap in a towel. To prevent frizz I try to get to styling my thick, coarse, naturally curly, dry, long hair as soon as possible, but the towel inevitably absorbs some water. I then smooth two or three pumps of this oil on my hair (considerably less than what I used to use of MorrocanOil), then scrunch Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscience Defining Crème all over. My curls have never looked better. I will continue to buy this.

on 9/11/2012 3:17:00 PM

Honestly sometimes less is more so I will keep it simple....

This stuff is absolutely AMAZING.. you can't even deny it and it is something I can not put into words! Simply said... MIND BLASTING!!!

lol :)

This oil is amazing. I can put so much in my hair and it doesn't go greasy. Smells incredible and helps tame all the crazy fly-aways! Looking forward to longer, stronger and healthier hair!

on 4/28/2013 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So far, I think this works slightly better than Kerastase Elixir Ultime. It doesn't coat the hair as much, leaving a lighter feel. I also like that the pump for the bottle dispenses a smaller amount at a time. I often had to wipe away excess with the Elixir Ultime, else be stuck with greasy hair. I will say the scent is quite... potent. It reminds me of an Aveda type smell. Earthy and sweet. I'll give credit to the Kerastase for having a nicer, less obtrusive scent. But, overall, the Davines wins. It's a special product to apply it and to instantly look like you have better, healthier hair. EDIT - Bumping this to a 5. It's now my favorite hair oil. My hair is soft and hydrated looking and even when I apply more than I anticipated, it doesn't get greasy!

on 12/19/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HG hair oil!! I have the cursed combo of a full, thick head of fine hair, which has been processed to hell and back with bleach over the years. My stylist recommended Davines Oi Oil to bring my hair back to life, and it's working like a dream. I apply two pumps to the ends of my towel-dryed hair, and work it through about halfway up the shaft (never touching the roots). I then twist my hair into sections, clip, keep clipped for about an hour, and then let it down and air dry. The Oi Oil defines the waves in my hair without getting crunchy, frizzy or weighed down. Paired with the Oi Shampoo, my hair has never been softer. Love!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I totally love this stuff. I just recently got a hair cut my amazing stylist applied this. My hair was soooo incredibly soft. I have thick coarse hair and this helped keep it shiny and soft without weighing it down. I'm exited to try their other products as well!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Full disclosure, I have never tried a Davines product I was unhappy with, and I have tried...exactly five. This one is my favorite.

It is heavily scented. So if you are extremely asthmatic, have a persnickety nose, or like b*tching about perfume that other people wear, don't buy any Davines styling products. The ones I have all have a detectable, lasting fragrance. I happen to like wearing a few fragrant products because I know that no one can smell my dumb vegan skin perfume, and also I don't let anyone get very close to me. Issues.

I color my waist-length hair conservatively, and iron it about once a week, but even before, since I was very young, I had a lot of frizz to go with my waves. Over the years I have tried a fool's fortune of different products. What stands out with this one is that it does not weigh my hair down or make it dull and stringy, even the next day. You know how girls are always trying to get 'texture' in their hair? Yeah, I have a lot of it, and most products just make it look unwashed. SHINE, and an overall appearance of HEALTH, is what I do get from this product. I typically have to use a little bit more than recommended to really fight that first-day frizz. I like to use the OI milk when my hair is wet, then three pumps of this oil when it dries.

It won't turn you into an advertisement for smooth hair (sorry, but I know we are convinced that SOMETHING will) but if you have issues with dullness and would like to know what soft hair feels like, try it. The trial size of this will last you a MONTH.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product, does wonders on dry ends, since i started using it i noticed that my split ends are not so visible anymore. It is a bit expensive but is worth it.

I use this on my ends after I blow dry. If you have dry course hair you can even use it to blow dry. The smell is a bit much but otherwise it works well and the bottle last a long time.

on 7/14/2016 11:04:00 PM

This product works perfectly in my dry, early 40s hair. Although my hair has always been wavy and fairly coarse, this would have been much too heavy for my hair when I was younger--it would have weighed it down and made it limp and greasy looking. However, as I have aged, my hair texture has changed; it's much more dry than it used to be, and quite frustrating to deal with.

My hair is medium length (bra strap length when extended from the waves), so I put two pumps of the oil on my hands and rub them together, then apply to the bottom few inches of my slightly damp hair. After most of the product has been distributed on my ends, I run my hands through the whole length and over the surface of my whole head of hair--I don't rub it into my scalp, though! I try not to get it on my bangs either. I then comb it through and either let it air dry or I blow dry it a bit so it's barely damp, never bone-dry. This stuff makes my hair almost as manageable as it used to be, which is quite the compliment given how annoying my hair has become. I will definitely repurchase.

[My one caveat about this product, other than its pricetag (which is hefty, but a bottle lasts a long time; I have used the same bottle for well over two years and am just coming to the end of it now) is its intense scent. I'm not crazy about it but it doesn't offend me greatly, either. I'd prefer a lighter scent, but it does dissipate a bit over the course of a couple of hours. However, it never does go away completely, so...if you hate the scent, I wouldn't advise investing in a bottle.]