Davines Ol Absolute Beautifying Potion

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Davines Ol Absolute Beautifying Potion
Ol Absolute Beautifying PotionOl Absolute Beautifying Potion

4.4

Cyclopentasiloxane, Disiloxane, Dimethiconol, Cyclohexasiloxane, Ethylhexyl Methoxcinnamate/Octinoxate, Partum/Fragrance, Bixa Orellana Seed Oil, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Tocopherol

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I got a generous sample of this from a hairstylist to help with my super frizzy, super thick, and super wavy hair. This is the first hairstyling product I've used that actually calms my poofy hair down. This is expensive, but a little bit goes a long way, and it smells really nice! Like powdery jasmine. I wouldn't recommend this for fine hair.

on 8/1/2012 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

After using MoroccanOil for over a year on my thick, coarse, long, dry, naturally curly hair, my stylist recommending this product instead. She said it has a lighter texture and gives more shine, and she was the stylist who got me using MorrocanOil in the first place. I instantly noticed that my hair was shinier than with MoroccanOil and I also like the scent better (musky, but not as intense as MorccanOil’s musky fragrance). I like that it comes in a pump with a cap and a travel-friendly plastic bottle, instead of MoroccanOil’s glass bottle. It’s still pricey, about $35 for 4.56 fl. oz., versus MoroccanOil at $40 for 3.4 fl. oz. In the shower after rinsing my hair, I apply John Frieda Frizz-Ease Original Hair Serum to soaking wet hair, then ring my hair out and wrap in a towel. To prevent frizz I try to get to styling my thick, coarse, naturally curly, dry, long hair as soon as possible, but the towel inevitably absorbs some water. I then smooth two or three pumps of this oil on my hair (considerably less than what I used to use of MorrocanOil), then scrunch Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscience Defining Crème all over. My curls have never looked better. I will continue to buy this.

Okay, so this IS the hair oil you would want to look for if you have damaged, dry hair. First, because its primary function is not to just style your hair, like most oils do, but to treat it. it treats your hair as well as styling it. I know that a lot of products say they do that but when you get results, it's not true. I think that along Sebastian's Potion 9 are the only products that do both.
I had really messed up hair and since I started using this it has became softer and a lot more manageable. The thing is that with my kind of hair, you need something to weight it down, otherwise you have a serious afro, and not the cute, 70s kind.
My mom used it as well because she liked the smell, but she doesn't have damaged hair, and also she has a tendency for oiliness, and the hair oil just enhanced that, so I wouldn't recommend it for people with normal to oily hair, just for people with serious damage or uncontrollable frizz.
The packaging is not great, like all Davines products, but they aren't great in order to be recyclable which is always a plus. Its paraben and sulphate free,
Just use two or three pumps in long hair BEFORE blow drying it. The heat activates the silicons and roucou oils in it, making the overall result even better.

on 12/19/2014 11:15:00 PM

I do not think that this can compare to the Beauty Protector Protect and Oil for fine haired ladies. I found this product did not control my hair or frizz and that the smell was a little weird. I used it on my hair and on my sister's, which is much thicker and wavier and on hers it seemed to work well. It made her hair soft and manageable and kept frizz to a minimum. I guess it works better with certain hair textures. I would not repurchase this product personally, but it may work best for those with thicker hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This stuff isn't the best smelling but does a good job of sealing ends. Good hair products for frizzy hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Full disclosure, I have never tried a Davines product I was unhappy with, and I have tried...exactly five. This one is my favorite.

It is heavily scented. So if you are extremely asthmatic, have a persnickety nose, or like b*tching about perfume that other people wear, don't buy any Davines styling products. The ones I have all have a detectable, lasting fragrance. I happen to like wearing a few fragrant products because I know that no one can smell my dumb vegan skin perfume, and also I don't let anyone get very close to me. Issues.

I color my waist-length hair conservatively, and iron it about once a week, but even before, since I was very young, I had a lot of frizz to go with my waves. Over the years I have tried a fool's fortune of different products. What stands out with this one is that it does not weigh my hair down or make it dull and stringy, even the next day. You know how girls are always trying to get 'texture' in their hair? Yeah, I have a lot of it, and most products just make it look unwashed. SHINE, and an overall appearance of HEALTH, is what I do get from this product. I typically have to use a little bit more than recommended to really fight that first-day frizz. I like to use the OI milk when my hair is wet, then three pumps of this oil when it dries.

It won't turn you into an advertisement for smooth hair (sorry, but I know we are convinced that SOMETHING will) but if you have issues with dullness and would like to know what soft hair feels like, try it. The trial size of this will last you a MONTH.

on 10/11/2016 2:38:00 AM

One of the best oils i have tried. Also, smells really good

Wow, I think I have found my one and only. I have damaged hair which is already weakened by the chemical stuff I've applied to my hair over the years and I hate breaking my hair just by brushing it (even if I'm trying to be gentle and using a tangle brush). Well, this stuff is now my best friend while detangling. It just makes my knots slip out plus it really makes my hair softer. I used to think that serums do nothing to my hair but luckily I decided to try out different ones to find the right product and that's where I stop! It is more of a serum than an oil because of the silicones in the ingredients but it just does everything.