REVLON Colorsilk Permanent Hair Color

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

For reference my hair is short (growing out a short cut), relaxed, and I've colored it varying shades of gold and blond for many years.

I wanted to love this color. I knew someone a LOOOONG time ago who used to use it whose hair was also relaxed and her hair was healthy and long, and she never had an issue with it. After reading MUA reviews, and having a hankering for some color after going dark sometime in March of this year, I decided to try to do it at home (which I've done before) and save some money. I chose Colorsilk because of the price, the lack of ammonia (something I prefer in home coloring), the color selection, and the great reviews.

My approach to color is pretty involved in general. I wanted a blondish shade, but because my hair is relaxed, and because I possibly already had some amount of color on my ends in brown from the darkening in march, I decided I would be conservative, try a medium toned blonde, and hope to end up lighter (didn't matter exactly how much to me) with some gold tones. I chose 61 - Golden Blonde as the shade. I have a level 2 reddish dark brown and wanted to just lift my hair some - really to wherever it would go and then if I didn't love the actual shade I would tone it with a semi-permanent and take it from there.

Anyway - I applied the color, but because I know I lot about it, I sectioned it off and applied it to my ENDS only - planning to allow the color to process as much as it would on my ends in some portion of the processing time, and then apply it to my roots and nape (my nape is still close to my scalp) once I saw the color that was achieved on my ends. But nothing happened! I applied the color to my ends and it didn't pull at ALL. I ended up waiting the WHOLE 25 minutes of processing time the instructions give you AND adding heat for the last 15 and still nothing. :(
Because of my method, I didn't end up with uneven shading (hot roots), bc I ended up not applying the color to my roots after all. So it looks like I didn't do anything at all - which as anyone who goes lighter at home knows, is the best "something went wrong" scenario there is.

I gave it two lippies because the hair I did apply it to, didn't feel damaged at all. The conditioner was just ok, but felt heavy and gummy, so I ended up rewashing my hair and using my trusty Aveda Color Conserve Conditioner (an HG conditioner when I'm dealing with color) to soften and my hair feels normal.

So it didn't lighten my hair (which may have been due mostly to my conservative shade choice and whatever else was going on in my hair) but it didn't damage it or go wonky on me either - I just didn't lift. Which isn't successful, obviously, but isn't a total lose/lose situation in my book.

I may try it again in a lighter shade next summer after I get some bona fide highlights put in at my favorite salon. I have a sneaking feeling my hair was just too dark, and the color I chose just wasn't light enough to get the results I was looking for.

Overall though - not a terrible experience. Just not the result I was looking for. :)