Revlon Colorsilk

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have not been a big fan of this color, The only thing i liked about it was the price. I got the dark blonde color, and applied it as normal to a test strand and it made my hair look a really strange color, like green mud and i didnt understand why, it also made my hair really dry. The smell was extremely strong for a no ammonia product. Did not like.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used Revlon Colorsilk Light Ash Brown #50. Overall, I'm not satisfied with this product. I achieved slightly lighter hair, but it failed to cover my grays. It left my formerly healthy hair dry, damaged and knotty.

UPDATE: 1 month later and my hair is still very dry. It tangles and knots easily. I miss my old healthy hair so much! : (

This is the haircolor I choose every time without fail. I pick it up at the dollarama for $3 CAD. I use the black shade and it makes my hair shiny, smooth and covers everything with minimal fading, my roots show before the color fades. Definitely pick it up if you find it on sale.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have used Colorsilk for years and have been overall pleased with it. My hair is now about 25% gray at the roots and it is pretty resistant. I just cannot use an ammonia based hair color, so I have to stick with the non-ammonias. I tried a few from Sally's, but they did not cover the gray as well as this and the colors were so flat. Plus, they cost more and you have to buy separate developer, gloves, etc. Colorsilk fits the bill for me- cost effective at $3 per box, it is readily available and has no ammonia. The color lasts only about 2 1/2 weeks for me, though. I wish it lasted longer, but resistant gray is difficult. I can deal with coloring just the roots more often as a trade-off for gentler hair color. I did try Natural Instincts and that was the worst hair color debacle I have ever had (see my review), so Colorsilk it will be until someone comes out with something new or better. I did try the Colorsilkk Buttercream which is a cream color and has mango butter and coconut oil but it was a very flat color and dried out my hair.
My color is Light Brown and it gives a light-medium brown result. I wish it had a bit more dimension and shine, but it does look natural and leaves my hair in good shape. I do not, however, like the conditioner that comes with it. It used to be the greatest after color conditioner ever, but they altered the formula a few years ago (why do they always change a good thing?!). Now it leaves my hair feeling dry, and it almost lathers up when you apply it. I just use some Pantene 3 Minute Miracle in a gold tube, it makes my hair feel better conditioned. I have yet to find a HG conditioner though. I can depend on this color to always come out looking good and doing what I need it to do.

I bleached my hair to a very pale yellow and needed to get the last little bit of yellow out to get a more natural blonde. Usually I can do this with Loreal Excellence lightest ash, but there wasn't any in stock. I saw this sitting on the shelf for only $4 in #04 (light natural blonde).
Even though its ammonia free it stinks A LOT. It also burned the area around the back of my neck. There's barely any difference in color at all. Maybe I should have bought an ash tone but the only blonde I saw was this one & it said "natural", which was what I was going for.
What ended up fixing the yellow issue for me was I dumped about 1/4 cup conditioner in a bowl, stirred in a teaspoon of Directions violet dye, then covered my hair with it for 10 minutes then rinsed it out.
So, lesson learned.. I don't even need to smell a stinky toner, or burn, or spend $10 for Excellence after I bleach. I just need a little dab from my violet dye in some conditioner & yellow is gone!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the best box color I have found for covering stubborn gray. It's well priced, easy to apply, gentle, and blends beautifully. I haven't found that it fades like other box colors (Much more expensive ones) do. Highly recommend. I hope they never change or discontinue this product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I think we all know that box dye is bad for your hair, however, if you are looking at a box of hair dye to buy in the first place you probably dont care.
I have tried the higher quality looking box dyes there are at the store, this one is no better or no worse. It is the cheapest though so I go for this one.
I used the shade number 12, natural blue black. Its black with cool undertones.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Years ago, I had a bad experience with Colorsilk in the medium brown shade. It turned my hair black and made it dry and dull. For years, I do an at home all over dye job once a month to cover greys and to cover fading. I was a loyal Clairol user but got tired of the lack of exciting brown shades. Colorsilk was on sale for $3.49 @ Walgreens so I ended up picking a new shade called Medium Golden Brown. I typically shy away from anything labeled golden because my hair pulls red big time and a lot of times, I'm not in the mood for red tones. But, I'm looking for a slight change. I have to agree with the reviewer, Rosiej down below. It gives a darker brown shade but with bronze/red tones through it. I noticed by using the included conditioner this time, it did make my hair a lot softer and manageable. The previous time that I used Colorsilk, I skipped the conditioner and just used my conditioner at the time and my hair turned out dull and extremely dry. To compare Colorsilk with Clairol, Colorsilk doesn't give any multi-dimensional tones like Clairol. With Colorsilk, you just get a base shade with one tone. I do like it though. It's a shade darker then what I was using before but in the sunlight, you can see this gorgeous red tone.

I would have to say the only con would be the weak grey coverage. I'm pretty disappointed that all the baby grey hairs around my face were so showing after I colored. I have a lot of baby greys in that area so I know to concentrate and massage the color specifically in that area. I also leave all dye in for 50 minutes because my greys are little stubborn jerk faces. To compare Colorsilk to other dyes in reference to grey coverage, Clairol Nice & Easy is far superior. Garnier is 2nd place however, coverage only lasts for about two weeks on me.

As so far as overall condition of the hair, Colorsilk also come in 3rd place. Garnier is 1st place and Clairol is 2nd place. With Colorsilk, I use the included conditioner and my usual conditioner. I also have to use a leave in conditioner before I blow dry and use shea butter as a styling tx to smooth cuticles. But, keep in mind that my hair is naturally extremely dry.

Will I repurchase? Maybe. After about a few weeks of this color, I'm extremely bored with it. It's a safe color change though if you want something different but not too drastic. I have the skin tone that can never go light so I have to stick to the sea of browns and red browns and hopefully find new and exciting shades. Overall, I rate this a 3.5.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I love it. I just wish it lasted longer

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Revlon Ultra Light Ash Blonde #05
Tried this since I could not find my usual Revlon color (Light Ash Blonde #80)

Warning: This is NOT ash blonde - light blonde, but very warm tones that show up yellow/gold with a hint of orange.
Left my hair way too brassy and will have to re-dye a darker shade to get the yellow out. The dye itself does not go on purple, which is always a warning sign. Should be purple to get a true ash. I even washed my hair with Shimmer Lights twice after dying to try to pull some of the yellow, and it made no difference..
I should have stuck with Revlon Light Ash Blonde #80

Pro: Revlon has never been damaging to my hair, so at least my hair is still healthy.

Popular Hair Color Products