Revlon Colorsilk

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

I use box dye because I just colour to black and I figure you can't go wrong with the colour matching the box. That and the low price are the only reasons I'm giving this colour two lippies. The colour matched fine (like I said, you can't go wrong with black) but I regret not splurging on a box dye that is less harsh and more nourishing. My hair isn't crazy dry or damaged, it was virgin before putting this on as I had been trying to grow out my natural colour since I went very short, and luckily I had a good conditioner and masque to use right afterwards. It did feel super dry right after rinsing but I think the immediate conditioning helped and I'm hoping it won't dry out over time. I don't regret giving up on growing my natural and going back to black, but this dye dried my scalp out like crazy. It's itchy as hell and a bit sore. I'd definitely not recommend this, and I'd advise spending a couple extra bucks on something like Olia or other Garnier colours. I'm currently sitting with a head soaked in olive oil in hopes it will provide me with some relief for my poor scalp.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I used to dye my hair sometimes myself before I put it back my real color and decided I wanted high lights at the hair salon..and I used a few color in the like red and honey blonde and the red was not as bright it was a little red but not much till the sun hit it and honey blonde was great and long lasting so many great compliments

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH.

I bought the Medium Ash Brown for my roots only (who were light brown) and it turned my hair REDDISH BROWN WITH NO GREY COVERAGE. I absolutely hate how it made my hair so red, i thought ashy colours do the opposite??? also I can still see my greys, even La Riche Directions' semi dyes covered my grey and this dye didnt.

Thankfully i didnt spend much for this trash.

I definitely DONT recommend it.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I am in my 60's and have white hair on the top and sides and gray in the back. I have been using L'Oreal Excellence Light Brown. My hair has gotten damaged and it looked too dark. I decided to try Colorsilk in Light Ash Brown. Colorsilk is not as stinky as Excellence, and takes 25 minutes to process compared to 45 with Excellence. My hair is lighter as I had hoped, and looks like the color on the box. The white and gray are completely covered. My hair is still dry, but not as bad as before I colored with Colorsilk. I wash my hair every 3 - 4 days. I like that there is no ammonia. I will update, but I will use Colorsilk again. In the meantime I will deep condition my hair to get it into better shape. As far as cost goes, I got one box of Colorsilk for $2.99 as opposed to Excellence for $7.99. Definately worth it. Also, I decided to try this product because of all of the positive reviews in my age group on MakeupAlley.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have not been a big fan of this color, The only thing i liked about it was the price. I got the dark blonde color, and applied it as normal to a test strand and it made my hair look a really strange color, like green mud and i didnt understand why, it also made my hair really dry. The smell was extremely strong for a no ammonia product. Did not like.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used Revlon Colorsilk Light Ash Brown #50. Overall, I'm not satisfied with this product. I achieved slightly lighter hair, but it failed to cover my grays. It left my formerly healthy hair dry, damaged and knotty.

UPDATE: 1 month later and my hair is still very dry. It tangles and knots easily. I miss my old healthy hair so much! : (

This is the haircolor I choose every time without fail. I pick it up at the dollarama for $3 CAD. I use the black shade and it makes my hair shiny, smooth and covers everything with minimal fading, my roots show before the color fades. Definitely pick it up if you find it on sale.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have used Colorsilk for years and have been overall pleased with it. My hair is now about 25% gray at the roots and it is pretty resistant. I just cannot use an ammonia based hair color, so I have to stick with the non-ammonias. I tried a few from Sally's, but they did not cover the gray as well as this and the colors were so flat. Plus, they cost more and you have to buy separate developer, gloves, etc. Colorsilk fits the bill for me- cost effective at $3 per box, it is readily available and has no ammonia. The color lasts only about 2 1/2 weeks for me, though. I wish it lasted longer, but resistant gray is difficult. I can deal with coloring just the roots more often as a trade-off for gentler hair color. I did try Natural Instincts and that was the worst hair color debacle I have ever had (see my review), so Colorsilk it will be until someone comes out with something new or better. I did try the Colorsilkk Buttercream which is a cream color and has mango butter and coconut oil but it was a very flat color and dried out my hair.
My color is Light Brown and it gives a light-medium brown result. I wish it had a bit more dimension and shine, but it does look natural and leaves my hair in good shape. I do not, however, like the conditioner that comes with it. It used to be the greatest after color conditioner ever, but they altered the formula a few years ago (why do they always change a good thing?!). Now it leaves my hair feeling dry, and it almost lathers up when you apply it. I just use some Pantene 3 Minute Miracle in a gold tube, it makes my hair feel better conditioned. I have yet to find a HG conditioner though. I can depend on this color to always come out looking good and doing what I need it to do.

I bleached my hair to a very pale yellow and needed to get the last little bit of yellow out to get a more natural blonde. Usually I can do this with Loreal Excellence lightest ash, but there wasn't any in stock. I saw this sitting on the shelf for only $4 in #04 (light natural blonde).
Even though its ammonia free it stinks A LOT. It also burned the area around the back of my neck. There's barely any difference in color at all. Maybe I should have bought an ash tone but the only blonde I saw was this one & it said "natural", which was what I was going for.
What ended up fixing the yellow issue for me was I dumped about 1/4 cup conditioner in a bowl, stirred in a teaspoon of Directions violet dye, then covered my hair with it for 10 minutes then rinsed it out.
So, lesson learned.. I don't even need to smell a stinky toner, or burn, or spend $10 for Excellence after I bleach. I just need a little dab from my violet dye in some conditioner & yellow is gone!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is the best box color I have found for covering stubborn gray. It's well priced, easy to apply, gentle, and blends beautifully. I haven't found that it fades like other box colors (Much more expensive ones) do. Highly recommend. I hope they never change or discontinue this product.