Max Factor Colour Elixir Lipstick

Max Factor Colour Elixir Lipstick
Colour Elixir LipstickMax Factor Colour Elixer Lipstick in Pink BrandyColour Elixir Lipstick

4.2

I bought this in the shade "Simply Nude" #725 at a local Big Lots store on sale for just $2. On me, the color shows up a pink brown nude with a little gold shine to it. It is sheer yet has enough color to look nice. And not be "see thru." I don't have to apply it as often as I've had to in the past with other nude lipsticks in similar shades. This will go nicely with just about anything you wear and especially if you're going for a natural look with a touch of glam. The tube is made of cheap gold plastic but who cares at this price? A lipstick only lasts so long and then the tube gets tossed right? I highly recommend this stuff. For reference I am medium light skinned with blue undertones.

on 2/18/2017 6:31:00 AM

I have this in Simply Nude 725, on me it is a browny pinkish nude (most nudes go orangey on me, so this is lovely). Goes on like a dream, lovely and moisturising. There is a slight smell but no taste. I think this would suit most skin tones. For reference I am fair skinned, blue eyes and platinum hair.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

There was a sale two for one on Max Factor lipsticks. I was amazed how beautiful the one in colour pomegranate was. I prefer matte lipsticks but I made an exception. I grabbed also one in colour tea rose I think. The colour isnt like you want it to be. The lipstick is not longwearing unless you super prepare it (longwear lipticks shouldnt take much preparing). When I put it for the first time and left my house, after about just 15 minutes my liptick was no one to be found. Okay, lets try it again with preparation... Noup. Looking at it like this it isnt $$ but for that quality it is. Maybe Im hating it a little to much because I was really disappointed with the colour, but honestly I really regret this one (two). Should have gotten one I had known would work than two of them. The packaging is cute untill the gold plate starts to stripp down.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

To me this is the ultimate 'old lady lipstick'. The scent, the heavily-moisturizing aspect, this does not settle into lines, comfortable to wear.

I am not sure what shades are all normally available, but the stores around me only have Simply Nude 725 and Maroon Dust 735. On me, Simply Nude is a very pale pinky-nude. This on me borders on concealer/corpse lips. And the scent to me, which smells like a combination of old lady perfume/old lady lipstick/old lady handbag, lasts on me a good hour or more, so it is a little annoying to me (not a fan of heavily scented lipsticks). Maroon Dust looks on my lips what I expected Simply Nude to look. Maroon Dust on my lips is a straight-up nude...Neither of these shades have really any pigmentation to speak of.

Both shades have quite a shimmery look to them - which I was not expecting. The supposed shade on the bottom of the tube is deceiving, to say the least. I thought these would be more of a cream shade, instead they almost look like a sheen lipstick on me. Simply Nude wears longer on me, but neither of these shades last for me for more than a couple of hours (and that is even if I do no talking nor eating nor drinking anything). Both shades definitely transfer and neither shade lasts through a meal. I will also say whereas Simply Nude has the very strong scent for me, I do not notice it as much with Maroon Dust. But bottom line for me, is neither are very pigmented nor last very long at all, even for a nude lipstick. They are very comfortable, though. These almost feel and look like a very shimmery balm on me/to me.

But these do apply smooth as silk, are very comfortable to wear and do not turn funny or funky nor garish colors, and do not get gummy nor gunky. If you like shimmery nude lipsticks, these might be right up your alley. For me, there are more nude lipsticks that perform better.

Packaging is meh, pretty average. I think they were trying to make it look fancy but, in my humble opinion, the gold plastic feels and looks kind of cheap. I will say this currently retails for $9.97USD at the local Walmart, which I feel is very high for a drugstore lipstick. I would guess in certain drugstores this is even more.

Bottom line for me, if I want a drugstore nude lipstick, I will stick with Maybelline, Revlon, L'oreal, NYX, Rimmel, etc, for about half of the price of these. And honestly for a few more dollars you can get a much better performing lipstick. The Urban Decay Vice lipsticks have some gorgeous nude shades with better pigmentation that last longer than these (as do several other brands).

These Max Factor lipsticks are not terrible, but I guess the lipstick snob in me is just disappointed in these. I expected more/better, perhaps, and the shades were deceptive in my opinion. Won't repurchase.

If you like a really pale nude, shimmery/sheen type of lipsticks that are easy to apply and comfortable to wear and do not care if you need to reapply every couple of hours, these might be for you! I guess I just expect more from my lipsticks. *sigh*

on 9/7/2016 5:15:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

As someone who's been wearing lipstick from the age of 13, I think I'm qualified to say that this is one of the most nourishing and comfortable formulas on the market. It contains a lot of skin conditioning ingredients; I sometimes even use the colour 725 Simply Nude as a tinted lip treatment of some sorts.

I own several shades - 510 English Rose, 725 Simply Nude, 825 Pink Brandy, 837 Sunbronze, 853 Chilli -, and I'll definitely get new ones in the future. You do go through them quite quickly; I've had 853 Chilli for half a year now, and the bullet is almost empty. I'll probably repurchase it someday, but for now, I have enough red lipsticks (although this colour is one of a kind).

The finish is creamy or frosty, depending on the shade, and they all wear off quite quickly, but they also leave a good stain (expect for the nude colours maybe; I just can't tell, they're too close to my actual lip colour) that actually looks quite good on its own. (Tip: If you only have 853 Chilli on hand but want something less bold, apply a layer, blot away most of it, then apply Vaseline for a rosebud kind of colour. I also found that it's quite easy to dupe my - seemingly discontinued - beloved Maybelline ColorSensational Lipstick in 852 Coral Pearl by applying 825 Pink Brandy, blotting it down, and then applying a sheer layer of Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss.)

+ incredibly comfortable to wear

+ a lot of skin conditioning ingredients

+ versatile shade range with some unusual colours that you won't find elsewhere

+ leaves a stain

- doesn't really set, fades away quickly, doesn't survive drinks or meals

- bullet goes empty rather quickly

- some colours are a bit of a hit-or-miss

on 5/1/2016 5:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

These lipsticks are just brilliant! They're affordable, have great packaging, beautiful pigment and great lasting power.
There's a wide colour range so you're bound to find something you love. I have 5 shades (Pink Brandy, English Rose, Midnight Mauve, Mulberry and Raisin) and get wear out of all of them. The formula is really moisturising and hydrates the lips as you wear them. I had no reaction to it.
I love the sweet scent and there is no particularly strong taste.

**Beware though, some of the colours have a very frosty finish!!

on 2/24/2016 5:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The price is affordable, the pigmentation is really great, it doesn't stay long on the lips though.. have to reapply every couple of hours

I have this one in Mulberry. I love the colour, although it looks a lot better with my summer-tan than it did in winter. For this price range, I think the packaging looks really nice. The lipstick stays on for a few hours, and when it starts disappearing it fades, instead of creating a lot of colour difference. For my personal taste, it's a bit to shiny, therefore I wouldn't buy it again. Another con is that your lips get dry after wearing this for a while.

on 6/16/2015 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I LOVE THESE LIPSTICKS!!
I have currently own: maroon dust, burnt caramel and chili. And I love all of them!

On me the maroon dust is nude, the burnt caramel is nude shades and chili is just a gorgeous red (for when I want to feel special).

The three lipsticks I own are all good quality and last a decent amount of time on my lips, so good value for the price (would differently repurchase).

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have 4 of these and i must say that I'm loving them. The colors are very pigmented and the texture is very smooth and lightweight as if you're not wearing them. My favorites are chilli and burnt caramel. They compliment my skin tone. I feel so confident when i wear them. It has a fair lasting power. It can survive a few drinks bit you really need to touch up after eating a meal. Overall, it's great!