Philosophy Purity Made Simple® Facial Cleansing Gel & Eye Makeup Remover

Philosophy Purity Made Simple® Facial Cleansing Gel & Eye Makeup Remover

3.7

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is absolutely horrid. I like the smell of it, and like how it removes makeup. I ended up with Perioral Dermatitis because of this product. I had to go to the dermatologist, pay a co-pay, and now I have to wait 6-12 weeks for this stuff to clear up. DO NOT buy this product, you will end up getting the same thing, I've read other reviews after the fact and other women have had the same problem with purity products. I have an itchy, red, burning feeling around my mouth and nostrils because of this. Buy at your own risk if you're going to purchase it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After doing my research I decided to try the original Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser as I heard it was great for all skin types while being able to remove face and eye makeup with (supposedly) no irritation to sensitive skin. I have sensitive, reactive, greasy skin. My favorite YouTuber with all of those same problems and then some of her own loves it so I assumed it would be great....well it stung my eyes, stung my skin, broke me out and wouldn't budge even easy, non-waterproof mascara from Covergirl. I was livid but kept trying it even as a gentle morning cleanser and kept getting the same results: red, broken out, stinging skin. After months of trying to justify that $24 purchase I threw away the bottle admitting defeat. Desperate for a makeup remover after my cheap cleansing wipes ran out I ran to Ulta hoping to grab more when I remembered that Purity comes in a deep cleansing, foaming gel. Desperate to find an all in one cleanser for facial cleansing and makeup removing including my eyes I picked this up. I also grabbed Cliniques Take Off the Day Balm just in case this was a huge fail...I went into use it that night and gave it a hard test of removing my Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Cream from my face and neck as well as my Tarte Clay Paint Liner from my eyes. To my suprise this gel cleanser is very thick and doesn't foam up until you rinse it with water. As I was washing my face I could literally see the makeup being mixed with the cleanser and changing it to whatever color I was wearing which is a big indicator that it's actually removing product where as the original Purity always felt like I was just moving it around on top of my makeup. I then took a little more and gently massaged it around my eyes, hoped for the very best and rinsed this off. May I just say that there was zero traces of makeup left on my face, neck and eyes! Not only that but my face was left so soft and not red or irritated at all. The best part? My face and eyes didn't sting once while using this. I don't even need the Take Off the Day Balm! If you have sensitive skin and the original Purity failed you, please try this.

on 3/28/2017 6:17:00 PM

I've been using this cleanser for years. I really like it. It's great at cleaning the makeup off of my face at night and it's really gentle on my sorta-sensitive and occasionally acne prone skin. It rinses off easily and does not leave any residue.

It does not clean off waterproof eyeliner 100%. I find that even when using makeup remover, then washing with this there is still a faint shadow of eye makeup left on there. Could also be user error, so it's not really a big deal to me, I will still keep buying this.

on 11/25/2015 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing! It smells really good, like a light citrus scent and it's gentle, yet removes every trace of makeup! To me, it's worth the price. Will repurchase!

loooove this. I seriously HATE the original purity cleanser. this one is way better. takes off ALL of my makeup and doesn't leave my skin feeling stripped. I love using with my clarisonic too. lathers up nice and smells fresh.

on 6/3/2016 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've been using this cleanser for the past year, I think (the same tube).

Pro's: You need very little, it has a good lather, it smells heavenly (of rosemary), and it feels like it really cleanses the skin.
Cons: It leaves my dry skin feeling a little tight if i don't apply moisturiser right after
the packaging: it's very hard to get the last bits out of the tube and the product
bunches up and leaves a sticky mess on the inside of the lid.
Also, after reading the other reviews, I must say that I also suffered from periorale dermatitis for a long time while using this. I didn't think it had anything to do with this cleanser, but since I'm not the only one who's suffered from this, it's definately worth mentioning.

To conclude: I think that it's really just the smell that attracts me,it does a decent job at cleansing, but it's not amazing and I'm sure that there's wayyy better out there.

on 12/3/2014 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I came on here intending to write a rave review for this product, but then I read the review below mine in which the reviewer stated it made her break out with perioral dermatitis, which is a condition I myself have had in the past. I had a fairly severe case of it and I can tell you that it's absolute *hell*. It's painful, it's sore, it burns, it's itchy, and needless to say, it's horribly embarrassing. I was on a very high dose of antibiotics for three full months and had to use a topical cream for even longer than that to finally get rid of it. After that I did a lot of research (as the dermatologist was of absolutely no help when it came to giving information about the condition) and really altered the products I used on my face, my hair, and my body. Fortunately I've never had an outbreak again.

I received a sample of this cleanser with a Sephora order about a year ago and it sat unused until I got tired of the cleanser I was using at the time not removing all my makeup, and I realized it was irritating my skin and causing bumps on my cheeks. I used the sample and really liked it so I went and bought a full bottle. One bottle (containing 7.5 ounces) lasted me for eight full months, and that was using it twice daily - in the morning and at night. At $23 per bottle, that's a great deal financially. I only have to use a pea size amount at night and half that in the morning. It removes all my makeup and doesn't dry out or irritate my skin. I bought a second tube and got on here to submit my rave review. However, once I saw the previously mentioned review I did some research into the ingredients in this product. Paula's Choice actually gives it a "Poor" rating which really concerns me. I'm usually so careful about what I put on my face and really research beforehand, but with this I just kind of assumed that since it didn't irritate, that meant it's safe to use. I even had to use a different cleanser for a few days until I could get to the store to repurchase the Philosophy, and I noticed my skin was dry in certain areas after having done that. Now that I've been using the Philosophy again, it's improving. So I'm kind of torn. I highly suggest you read the review on www.paulaschoice.com before purchasing. I will probably use up this tube and then try to find a different cleanser.

on 10/30/2014 8:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I've been a faithful user of the original Purity Made Simple facial cleanser for some time now but I have to admit, I like this foaming one even better. I have 2 generous samples of it and can't wait to finish up my original (or at least some other cleanser) so I can justify buying this one. I love that it produces a rich, cushiony lather and that it removes every trace of makeup - including my under eye concealer - without irritation and without leaving my skin feeling stripped and dry. It rinses away cleanly and, overall, is just a really terrific makeup remover and skin cleanser.

Update: Bought the full-sized tube of this and I'm so pleased with the results. While my skin isn't oily and we're moving into the colder, very dry months here in Ontario, I still find that this cleans thoroughly without leaving my skin feeling dry or tight. Great product. Have to say, though, that I hate, hate, hate the packaging - it is so messy to use and product gets all icky around the opening in the lid, no matter how careful one is. A pump or even a bottle similar to the original Purity Made Simple would be a whole lot better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have been in search of an effective eye makeup remover and this is definitely not it. I researched the ingredients and it contains numerous fragrant plant oils, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. Why would anyone want to put those around your eyes? Even if it works, there are several other options out there. I will not purchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

After seeing so many good reviews on MUA about this product, I decided to give it a go. After several weeks, I regretted that decision so much. At first I was being in denial about the product not working. I thought my skin was purging. My skin usually gets 1-3 acne at a time. But after two weeks, the condition of my skin is the worse ever in my life. Never before I have pimples all over my face and in places that I've never gotten any breakouts too! Even new cystic acne starts to pop up everywhere on my face. I even have tiny bumps on my face. My best friend told me to stop using this new product and see if that would help my skin. So I stopped using Purity and of course, after that, my cystic acne disappeared and acnes reduced.

I am still recovering from the acne scars left by this product. My advice is, if you have oily sensitive skin like mine, do not get this. It will save you time, money and heartbreak from seeing your face full of acne.