Topix Replenix Ultra Sheer Physical Sunscreen Spray SPF 50

Topix Replenix Ultra Sheer Physical Sunscreen Spray SPF 50

3.7

Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 12%. Ascorbic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Biotin, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Polyphenols, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Emblica Officinalis Fruit Extract, Glyceryl Isostearate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Purified Water, Resveratrol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q-10)."

on 9/2/2016 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Great ingredient list aside from all the cones. It's very greasy going on then incredibly drying as the day goes on. You definitely need a moisturiser under this - and one that is compatible with all the silicones going on top.

I'll be sticking with Elta MD UV Pure.

on 7/9/2016 11:12:00 AM

This sunscreen gets a lot of love on the skin care board and I can see why. For being an all-physical it has VERY little white cast. No discernable smell, some nice antioxidants added, and water resistant up to 40 minutes (I THINK; don't quote me on that). It's also fairly easy to apply, though I'd prefer the Asian-type nozzle to the spray since no one sprays a sunscreen directly on their face anyway. You also have to apply a LOT more than you think you should to get the recommended 1/4 teaspoon. 8 sprays does the trick, but it takes 2 coats to get a full application, so that's a bit of a hassle. The protection of this ss is good--no problems burning or tanning for me.

BUT my biggest complaint is that it just does NOT dry down on me in the summer, and takes a long time (about 30 minutes) to dry down in the winter. Some folks solve the longer drydown time by blowing a hair dryer on their face, but I don't have one. I live in a climate with quite humid summers, so not entirely the sunscreen's fault. HOWEVER, for a product with mostly silicones--and for the higher price point--I'd expect a little more elegant skin feel. This stays "moist" all day on me in the summer. If I apply makeup over it, it settles into my fine lines and pores and I have to touch up every couple of hours. Now, some folks have said the opposite, that it dries down on them and stays matte, so perhaps it's just my combination skin plus the humidity.

Like all physical ss, it leaves the skin a little dry after you remove it, but that's due to the zinc content, not the formula. It doesn't irritate or sting at all.

To Read all 31 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/5/2016 3:04:00 PM

I am forever in love with this. Sure, my skin gets a little dry, but later in the day I am an oil slick. I live in Savannah, GA and it is humid and hot as all get out! I will use this as long as it is made. In the winter, I do have to put a tad of moisturizer on but that is it! It is also great because of the easy application, my fiance finally wears SS!

on 12/12/2015 8:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is nice, very runny, silicone based all zinc sunscreen which I found very non irritating. The green tea or something lended a bit of a yellowish color to it, which is why this doesn't leave a white cast. It's not tinted, it's just sort of tea-colored from the green tea extract. Which is nice, since that darn white cast is the plague of my olive toned issues with zinc based sunscreens. It leaves a nice finish (usually) and I found I didn't need anything on top for most days I used this.

It's a bit tedious to apply to face, having to pump into my hand and apply layers. It's also somewhat difficult to apply enough to cover me adequately so my sunspots don't worsen, this stuff is so runny and spreadable it's hard to get enough on. it's a bit drying. While it will dry down matte on its own, it can take a while to do so, especially if I had used a moisturizer underneath.

I have oily skin that sometimes is dry in spots. I previously had been using Neutrogena Dry touch sunblock on my face but felt that it was too heavy to wear daily and sometimes stung my skin in spots.

This sunblock works well for my oily skin. I've been using it all summer and I have gotten little sun on my face. It leaves no white cast and is a good primer for makeup. The only downside it that it takes awhile to dry. I

Application:
I shake it then spray two sprays on my hand. I apply it and dry it with a hairdryer on the cool setting or just wait about 5 mins. During the summer, I add another layer and dry again (2x2 sprays). It has a slightly tacky feeling but is OK. I would put a facial powder over it if you are not using foundation it can leave a shiny film if you use as much as I do.

on 12/1/2014 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I am going to rewrite my entire review now that I've been using this off and on since 2013.

Before anything else I just want to let you all know IT TAKES 8 SPRAYS TO GET THE FULL 1/4 TSP. If you want the advertised SPF, you need that 1/4th tsp. Scientists bring this into consideration when rating the SPF level. It may seem like a LOT, but you can always apply it in several thin layers. The formula is light enough that it's not a disgusting, cakey mess.

One other big thing I'd like to note on is the ingredient list is in alphabetical order since Replenix did not have to follow certain guidelines. Typically ingredient lists are in order of highest content to lowest. That is not the case here.

This was not one of those products that I instantly fell in love with. Most people tell me that this is one of the most matte, drying sunscreens they've ever used. But that wasn't my experience at all. In fact I could not get it to set/fully dry down. It *may* be due to the fact I am super oily, and live in a humid state.

I did give it 4 stars because I loved how it looked when my skincare and certain meds were giving me random dry skin days. But I sure as hell never thought I'd be able to use it otherwise...until I became determined to make it work for me.

If you have having problems getting this to set, I have 3 pieces of advice. Give it a few minutes before applying anything else. Top it off with matte setting powder. And if you don't have time to sit around waiting, get out a blow dryer with a cool setting (vs warm) to speed up the process.

With 99% of sunscreens I try, if they're not perfect - they get used up on my body or sent to the trash bin. You can tell by my reviews alone. But what made me determined to find a way to use Replenix Sheer Physical Spray is the formulation.

This has hands down, the best ingredient list I've ever seen for a sunscreen. The list is very simple and each ingredient serves a purpose. It is anhydrous, meaning water-free. That means 2 things. 1. You're not paying for a mostly water product unlike many on the market. 2. The antioxidants in this stand a much better chance at being stable. [Editing to add: Replenix was smart enough to package this in a UV resistant bottle rather than anything transparent.]

Which brings me to my next point: this is packed with beneficial antioxidants. Antioxidants reverse free radical damage, heal wounds (such as my acne scars..), and build collagen. It also boosts the sun protection efficiency, which is why so many SS formulas try to incorporate them. My skin doesn't love most plant based ingredients and vitamin c typically causes it to sting. I do wish they didn't add vitamin e to this but it hasn't caused any issues surprisingly. I love that I can finally use an antioxidant product!

It's a two for one deal because the sun protection factor is still wonderful. This is a physical sunscreen with only zinc as the uv filter. Despite being a high %, there is no white cast at all. The consistency of this is very weightless, too. Both are nearly unheard of with physical sunscreens. I use chemical exfoliators and have rosacea. So I have to avoid any UVA damage without upsetting my skin in the process. I can vouch this has been effective yet gentle. There have been 0 new sunspots. The 1 sunspot I've had FOREVER is actually fading. Another thing to note is it plays very nicely with my make up. [Editing to add: There's no drying alcohols in this! That is a giant pro to me. Most weightless sunscreens often are full of isopropoyl alcohol to make it that thin. It always flares my rosacea so I'm glad this doesn't have it.]

My only gripes are I still wish it was more matte. But... plenty of others say this is drying (likely due to the vitamin c and green tea). So I suppose if they did mattify the formula it wouldn't be as weightless AND it'd be unbearable for most. My other gripe is that this contains cyclopentasiloxane, a sunscreen most acne-prone ladies will break out from. I haven't broken out from using this BUT my retinoid gel seems to be responsible for my skin tolerating this.

The price really isn't bad at all. ESPECIALLY when you break it down $ per oz. The quality of the formulation is worth so much more than what I buy this for.

Editing to add: To the chick claiming her "isn't tinted, just tea stained".............I want to correct her review. It's sort of scary she thinks Replenix legit pours tea into these. :\ They put a green tea extract from leaves in it...not actual food grade green tea drinks. If yours isn't close to being white in color, you likely have an expired bottle. Check the botton for the bottle for the expiration date. That "tea stained" color is MOST LIKELY the vitamin c in this oxidizing from exiring. Just like vitamin c serums turn.

Also...here is a full ingredient list: Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 12%; Inactive Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Biotin, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Polyphenols, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Emblica Officinalis Fruit Extract, Glyceryl Isostearate, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Phenoxyethanol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Purified Water, Resveratrol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q-10).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is my favorite sunscreen at the moment for my dry, sensitive skin, but its not without its faults. I use it because the protection is good and it's the least drying I have found that doesn't break me out, however I do have to moisturize before applying and sometimes I still get flakes. Very slight white cast on my NC15 skin. Also, the spray bottle is a major pain. Despite its faults I repurchase because it's the best I have found.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is a great sunblock, for those that want a sheer, matte product. But, on the down side, it has no white color to lighten & brighten skin.

It is fragrance free, non irritating & 'chemical free' (zinc oxide is still a chemical contrary to what some may think). It is not overly thick & it is not greasy. Because it contains a high amount of zinc oxide, it is both soothing & anti-bacterial (which helps if you are acne prone). It does not pill up or flake off once applied. It is oil free, non-acnegenic, non-comdeogenic & has never caused me to breakout. It provides complete UVB/UVA protection, and has a high SPF.

I won't be buying it again though, because it is both 1) matte & 2) sheer & not white. I like a glow - not a dry, matte look. And, I prefer my porcelain skin to be it's lightest, brightest & whitest possible - so I love the white tint that other all zinc oxide sunblocks provide, what this sunblock is definitely missing.

on 7/5/2014 1:55:00 PM

This sunscreen is absolutely worth trying out, whether or not it actually ends up working out for you or not. Because, as a physical SC, it is the most sheer, cosmetically elegant one I have ever tried and is the only one I have personally tried (alot) that looks like I have nothing on. It feels like I have nothing on ever, and gives a very, very slight luminosity if I look hard enough.

To start, I have combo skin and it does not dry me out at all. I use Cetaphil moisturizing creme at night and have not had any problems. I would consider the comments on the drying something that you will personally have to work with, but not a set in stone dealbreaker for this sunscreen.

As a spray, it doesn't bother me spraying into my fingers. It isn't as if it's a complete watery liquid. It stays in place where you spray it on your fingers and then easily transfers onto your face. It's not a messy, drippy application if that makes any sense. You dont' have to hurry before it runs all over the place. In fact, it applies easier then Neutrogena Liquid Pure and Simple. That's more runny then this.

I don't notice that it takes that long to dry. I put it on after my shower and by the time I get to my makeup it's great. I don't use moisturizer under it in the morning. Still doesn't dry me out. I do don't anything special to remove it other then my Dove Sensitive Skin cleanser and have no breakouts.

Actual protection might be a dealbreaker for some. As other's have noted, I do find it's not perfect protection. I have noticed it lets a bit of sun through. Nothing to ever even burn me or even tan me, but more sun does get through then other's I have tried. I would not wear this as my only protection on my face to the beach, unless I apply several layers throughout the day. However, it will really be a part of where you live and how you are out in the sun. For living in the cloudy NW and being so cosmetically elegant it's a great everyday physical sunscreen.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Well ... I was so exited to buy and try this after all the recommendations from the SCB. Was hard to find for me ( in UK ) had to order online and pay $$ shipping charges , costed me in total 40 to get it here. But i tho if is good then worth it .
I read that can be drying and as i do have dry skin especially in winter ( on Retin-A ) i applied the sunscreen over moisturiser. In hot summer days i skip the moisturiser , so drying wasn't a issue .
Let me start with the fact that i HATED that is a spray. Had to spray on my hand and then apply on face. Anyway the texture was nice and no white cast after few seconds.
Also was great under make up. I use mineral powder and this sunscreen was doing really good job as a primer.
Didn't had any issues with my skin while using this. No breakouts , no rush , or anything negative. Everything was fine.
BUT THEN ....... After using the whole bottle in summer i found out i have much more brown spots on my face than ever before.
I do not suffer from pigmentation ( or at least didn't notice anything till i used this sunscreen )
After using this every day in summer i found out i have many brown spots on my face especially under my eyes and cheek bones. Which to me means this isn't a good protector for sun or at least for me.
Just to mention - i use Retin-A every other night as well as AHA the rest of the nights , Mornings i use Vit.C serum and always a good amount of sunscreen. I wear big sunglasses nearly every day even when not sunny and if i go swimming pool or beach i will wear hat as well.
I use this routine for the last 10 years and never had so many brown spots on my face. So it must be the sunscreen .!!!

At the moment i use Ducray Melascreen SPF50 Creme Ligere and i m really happy with it. My skin is clearing out as well.