Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

4.5

Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Sodium Saccharin, Benzyl Benzoate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Fruit Powder, Benzyl Alcohol, Silica, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Mica. (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742).

on 12/19/2018 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did enjoy this product. It smells great, not to pigmented but buidable, and works great with my pale skin. The only thing is that sometimes it would look reddish/orangy. kind of pricey but the product will last you a long time unless you are using it to bronze your neck and chest area.

This is a great bronzer for pale people who are looking for something really subtle, or to add a bit of dimensionality to their face rather than trying to look significantly more tan. I am somewhat pale, with yellow/golden undertones. Probably an NC15. For some background, I was previously using Physician's Formula Bronze Booster for stints, in medium to dark. It worked pretty well despite being medium to dark, but within the last year I started to notice it was making me look a bit sallow. It could be that the product was just getting too old, because I had it for a while.

Anyways, after buying Milk Chocolate Soleil at Sephora online and before it was delivered, I was looking at swatches and reading reviews and getting a bit worried that it would be too light. I mention this because in all the reviews people talk about how it's for very pale people, and I want to make clear you don't have to be like Dita Von Teese-level white to pull this off, which was my concern being pale but not ludicrously so. Obviously the darker you are, the more subtle this is going to be. But don't be afraid that unless you're pale pale pale, this won't show up on you because that isn't th case.

When mine arrived and I tried it out, I was immediately happy with it. Yes, it is extremely light. That's why it's important to note that if you're using a bronzer to look just-got-back-from-vacation tan, this probably isn't going to do that for you unless you're just about as pale as it gets. But for giving a healthy, subtle, but noticeable glow and getting a bit more shape to your face, it's fantastic. The shade comes off a bit more on the golden-brown side without being yellow (I'm very attuned to that after the Physician's Formula jaundice effect I described earlier). Certainly not orange. I've gotta break it down and say quite simply that since I started wearing this bronzer, I just look better. Which feels a bit dumb to mention since that's obviously part of the point of makeup, but I think we've probably all added a product to our makeup routine for a while before realizing it's not actually adding anything.

This would also be good for those of you who are paler and want to get into bronzers or flirt with contouring but are afraid of doing it wrong. I was really freaked out by bronzers a few years back because they can look so conspicuously bad. This bronzer is hard to overdo. It's not insanely pigmented, but that's not a bad thing. Like this morning I went somewhat ham with this bronzer just for fun, and I didn't have any "good lord what was I thinking" mid-morning office bathroom mirror moment.

Anyways, I'm super happy with it. I even like the scent, which reminds me of a chocolate Cupcake Surprise, if anyone remembers those dolls. The only thing I don't like is the gold packaging, which is kind of tacky tbh. Why not be a bit more consistent with the chocolate theme and make it look like a candy wrapper or a chocolate bar or something?

on 6/20/2017 6:22:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I am NC20, Asian, and this works really well to warm up my complexion. The shade looks to light on the pan, but once used it just looks so natural. I fell in love the first time I used it. I love the smell too! It is quite addicting.

I'm an NC15 - NC20 and was worried this would be too light for me, but it isn't.

I bought this with the intention of using it as a contour and it worked fine for that, but now I'm over the contour look so I just use this as a normal bronzer and it's perfect for my tone - it doesn't look like I'm wearing bronzer at all BUT it still makes my face look very natural. I'm in the minority who don't mind the look of a foundation-only face, but I still think this looks perfect and adds dimension to my face. It's very easy to blend and and build up. When I wear dark red lipstick, I wear this heavier on my cheeks with a very light highlight and it helps complete the look without clashing with anything.

However, I really hate the smell of this. I have no problem with strong smells in make up and even prefer most of them but this particular smell doesn't smell like chocolate at all to me - it smells like very powdery, very cheap cake mix. That's probably a difference in regional chocolate because I know it tastes different in every country so I guess maybe it does smell like American chocolate (which I haven't tried)? I'm from NZ and associate chocolate with creamier scents. Thankfully it doesn't smell once applied to the face.

PROS: very versatile, can be used as a contour, blush and regular bronzer on my NC15 - NC20 skin. A dream to blend. Unique packaging makes it easy to find in my bag.

CONS: Looks cheap, the smell is very powdery and puts me off (and I usually like make up scents) which sucks since it was $47NZD.

I wouldn't regret buying this again, but I'm going to look up alternatives instead due to the smell. I've also previously panned a $5NZD bronzer by LA Colors which was identical to this in quality, which makes me dislike the $47 price tag. The only reason I didn't rebuy that was because the colour was slightly too dark so it required more effort.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A very light shade of brown, perfect for fair / light skin tones as it doesn't give a whole lot of color. I imagine some may find this shade doesn't give enough color payoff; in fact, I can’t help but wonder if for some it could work as a face powder. This is definitely the most brown shade of bronzers I have ever used, as most have a bit of a pink undertone.
As it is matte, it mattes my cheeks when I apply it as a bronzer, which I do not care for because it makes me look like I have dirt on my cheeks. I am guessing due to my choice of moisturizers and foundations my skin always looks dewey, so this does not work for me. I read several reviews that suggested it would work as contour if it doesn’t work as bronzer, a major influence of my impulsive decision to try this, and everyone was spot on in this regard. But I honestly don’t reach for this at all because it is too drying.
The smell is not exactly chocolate, but more like someone had it stored next to something with fragrance, so you may want to see & smell this in person if you don't like scented products. It’s not quite vanilla, not quite cocoa either... sometimes I find it pleasant, other times I don’t and wonder if I got bad product.
As of August 2018 I have purged this from my stash, I invested in a few HE bronzers which work with my skin, not against it. I think fair skin tones who are oily or use products to matte their skin will like this, but I recommend drier skins stay away.

on 8/31/2016 1:14:00 AM

Fantastic bronzer for my NC15-NC20 skintone, I can wear this all year round...it's very natural looking on me and not muddy or dirty like most bronzers make me look. Gives me a healthy, sun-kissed look (it's a light, milky brown with a peachy undertone). I love that its matte! Honestly would not purchase if it wasn't. It was suggested to me by another MUA member on the board, and now I'm hooked. My other favorite bronzer is Guerlain sheer bronzing powder, both in blonde and sun blondes. I love them all equally for different reasons but the Guerlain Sheer Bronzers have a shimmer to them and the blonde range is more pinky/peachy (can be used instead of blush). Milk Chocolate I feel is more versatile due to it being matte, it's better for adding dimension and is more subtle. I also wear my Guerlain bronzer as a blush, over Milk Chocolate...and they are beautiful together. It's also long-wearing and smells divine, big pluses. Must-have item! I also like the cocoa powder foundation in this range.

on 8/15/2016 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm in looooove with the smell. Bendable, matte, great color. Has not broke out my sensitive acne prone skin. Definitely enjoying this to bronze my face up.

on 7/30/2016 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I avoided bronzers for a very long time, simply because I am pretty fair and I was afraid bronzer could turn orange or even worse, muddy on my skin. But since this was getting raves from beauty bloggers I respect and since the shade looked pretty light, natural and non threatening when I checked it out in store, I figured it may be time to get on the bronzer bandwagon.
I've been using this five days a week since. I am absolutely in love with it. You simply cannot go wrong with this product, I would recommend it wholeheartedly for bronzer beginners and fair skinned people like me. It is finely milled, buttery, it goes on like a dream and you have absolute control over how bronzed up you get to look. It would take piling on a ton of product for this to even start looking gaudy.
It's pricey, I know, but this is going to be my only bronzer so I'm looking at it as an investment. It looks like this product's gonna last a long time anyway, after two months of daily use there's barely a dent on it. The cocoa scent is also a nice touch.
All in all if you're looking for a "safe" bronzer that's not going to look artificial on fair skin, definitely consider this one.

on 5/20/2016 2:04:00 PM

I tried this for a while, kinda liked it, but eventually decided it wasn't for me. I think this is better for, and might have been developed specifically for, contouring and not general 'bronzing' per se. I'm not very fair - I am light/medium olive and get pretty tan in the summer, so the Milk Chocolate may not have been the BEST choice for me, but tbh it's dark enough to be serviceable for my skintone. But the TONE of the color was off and it just gives this flat matte look. Also, I had trouble using it as a bronzer because I found it highly pigmented and better for precision application (like contour...) And when I contoured with it, it looked kinda orange? Though I am the absolute worst at contouring, so don't hold that against it lol. I also found it difficult to blend at times. It's quality, it just didn't work for me.

It smells delicious though.

on 3/31/2016 6:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This bronzer is perfect.

I never thought I'd find a bronzer seeing I have such pale skin (NW10) but it looks so good if it's applied well.
It looks so natural and blends so well to my skin and also it smells amazing!
It's pretty pricey at $47 at Mecca but it's far superior to the drugstore brands if you have at all pale skin. The medium size pan is so good, as it fits my brush and it doesn't go everywhere.
The only reason I didn't give this a 5/5 is the price but I highly recommend it if you are pale like me. :)