Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer

4.5

Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Sodium Saccharin, Benzyl Benzoate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum/Fragrance, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Fruit Powder, Benzyl Alcohol, Silica, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Mica. (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is a really lovely bronzer for those of us who are pale. I am NC20, and this is great for me...gives me a little bit of color without being overwhelming or sparkly. It almost works as a contour color, and is very neutral in tone (not orange, not muddy brown, not red-brown). I used to own the original Chocolate Soleil and found that this Milk Chocolate version is not as strongly scented (or maybe just smells more like milk chocolate which is a bit more toned down) as the original, which made me happy, because I am the minority that doesn't love that strong chocolate scent. I had a little bit of a tough time deciding to get this or not because I thought it was likely very similar in color to the PF Healthy Wear bronzer in Light that I already had. However, this item offers far better quality (as it should for $29!), and is absolutely matte, where the PF Healthy Wear is lightly shimmery. In comparison, I found the TF to be infinitely better in pigment and so much smoother - the PF is chalky and feels cheap when compared to the TF. For those of us that found the original Chocolate Soleil to be a bit too ruddy and maybe a hair darker than we wanted, this new Milk Chocolate version may be just what you've been waiting for!

on 1/13/2013 12:53:00 AM

Argh. Well. I'm begrudgingly giving this 5 lippies.
The #1 most important thing to know before purchasing this bronzer: Check the box to make sure it is the color you want! There are two colors: Milk Chocolate, and the original Chocolate soleil. And it is not clearly marked on the box, which is a pain when you are rushing to finish errands. Yes, I wanted to buy the original color and came home accidentally with the milk chocolate version, but I really don't want to drive all the way back to Ulta (hooray for living in a rural area said no makeup junkie ever).
But it's totally my fault for not taking the time to be sure I had the right product. And it totally deserves the 5 lippies, I'm just frustrated because I don't want it as much as the original. Here's why it gets 5:

This is the perfect matte bronzer. Hands down. Too Faced really nailed this one. The texture is so smooth and soft, it almost feels creamy.
And my goodness, the smell! It smells so sweet and yummy! This smells like real milk chocolate, a little more on the sweet, vanilla, sugary side than actual chocolate. The chocolaty smell is not as strong as the original Chocolate Soleil, there is a marked difference.
The color is gorgeous. I truly feel guilty that I'm not satisfied and I still want my Chocolate Soleil. This color is a soft brown. No icky, unflattering orange or red tones. I am the lightest shade they offer in Lancome's line of foundation (and they carry practically the lightest you can get on the market) and the color is gorgeous and subtle, the perfect glow. The color stayed the same throughout the day, and I only had to do a little touchup towards the end.
The packaging is very pretty, it's shiny and sleek, and not too bulky. It holds a good amount of powder.

Now at this point, you may be wondering "Wow this bronzer sounds great, but why the heck is her quest for the holy grail still continuing?!"
And that's where the price factor comes in. A compact of this is $29...it's not obscene, but it's definitely not cheap! The reason why I wanted Chocolate Soleil was not because I am super pale and want to cake it on and make myself 5 shades darker, but because I've heard how pigmented it is. With the original version, I'm so pale it would take one swipe to get enough for contouring. With the milk chocolate version, I need to go through 3 times more every use.

Bottom line for pale girls: If you don't mind spending this much money for bronzer, and you aren't super savvy with contouring and blending intense colors, then this Milk Chocolate color is the product for you! If you want to save your money for other things, and don't mind taking time to blend out the deepness, then original Chocolate Soleil is the one to get!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Milk Chocolate bronzer has debuted with the Summer Royalty collection, but I'm pretty sure it's permanent and not LE. The other products featured in the collection are LE as far as I know right now. This is the bronzer for very fair to light or light medium skin. Anyone darker than light medium will probably want the original Chocolate Soleil. If you're going to tan at all this summer, you probably want to skip this and pick up the original. This is a neutral tone, so it won't come off as muddy or orange. I find so many fair skin bronzers orange that I don't bother to pick them up anymore, but you can rely on this one to give you the right amount of color.

on 4/23/2012 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I love this! I am very pale and this is the first bronzer that actually works consistently well with my skin. It doesn't make my face look dirty or muddy like so many other darker bronzers do. It also doesn't turn me orange. It looks like I naturally got a little sun although for me natural sun = sunburn :) Anyway, if I could tan, I think it would be this color.

I also like that this is matte. I have a couple of other light bronzers that work decently for me but they have shimmer. This gives me a matte option that I can use in the daytime without looking too glittery.

If you are very fair skinned, I recommend you try this. I almost didn't buy it because I was afraid of getting another "muddy" bronzer but I'm so glad I gave it a try!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

FYI: I am a Latina woman with very fair olive skin, combination type (dry forehead, oily nose & chin, normal cheeks) in early maturity (minor facial lines, redness). Shade refs: LM Creme Silk in Cream Ivory, Bobbi Brown in Warm Ivory, Revlon Colorstay in Buff

I can't believe I bought this product, and even tougher to believe how much I like it. Bronzers have never worked for me, always looked phony and unattractive. Since my skin tone has actually faded as I've matured, I never imagined I could wear bronzer well.

This soft, light brown pressed powder works beautifully with fairer skin tones. It goes on soft with a natural matte finish. The color is more "lukewarm" than golden/warm and should work for all but the coolest skin tones. It's a definite multi-tasker -- bronzer, contour powder, blush, eye shadow, a powder for medium-to-deep skintones -- and it blends beautifully. Wear is pretty good, too.

I love the cocoa fragrance and don't find it overpowering, but it might be a dealbreaker to some. I think it's overpriced, but it doesn't have a comparable DS counterpart, so I'd keep buying if I needed it.

This is a great bronzer for pale people who are looking for something really subtle, or to add a bit of dimensionality to their face rather than trying to look significantly more tan. I am somewhat pale, with yellow/golden undertones. Probably an NC15. For some background, I was previously using Physician's Formula Bronze Booster for stints, in medium to dark. It worked pretty well despite being medium to dark, but within the last year I started to notice it was making me look a bit sallow. It could be that the product was just getting too old, because I had it for a while.

Anyways, after buying Milk Chocolate Soleil at Sephora online and before it was delivered, I was looking at swatches and reading reviews and getting a bit worried that it would be too light. I mention this because in all the reviews people talk about how it's for very pale people, and I want to make clear you don't have to be like Dita Von Teese-level white to pull this off, which was my concern being pale but not ludicrously so. Obviously the darker you are, the more subtle this is going to be. But don't be afraid that unless you're pale pale pale, this won't show up on you because that isn't th case.

When mine arrived and I tried it out, I was immediately happy with it. Yes, it is extremely light. That's why it's important to note that if you're using a bronzer to look just-got-back-from-vacation tan, this probably isn't going to do that for you unless you're just about as pale as it gets. But for giving a healthy, subtle, but noticeable glow and getting a bit more shape to your face, it's fantastic. The shade comes off a bit more on the golden-brown side without being yellow (I'm very attuned to that after the Physician's Formula jaundice effect I described earlier). Certainly not orange. I've gotta break it down and say quite simply that since I started wearing this bronzer, I just look better. Which feels a bit dumb to mention since that's obviously part of the point of makeup, but I think we've probably all added a product to our makeup routine for a while before realizing it's not actually adding anything.

This would also be good for those of you who are paler and want to get into bronzers or flirt with contouring but are afraid of doing it wrong. I was really freaked out by bronzers a few years back because they can look so conspicuously bad. This bronzer is hard to overdo. It's not insanely pigmented, but that's not a bad thing. Like this morning I went somewhat ham with this bronzer just for fun, and I didn't have any "good lord what was I thinking" mid-morning office bathroom mirror moment.

Anyways, I'm super happy with it. I even like the scent, which reminds me of a chocolate Cupcake Surprise, if anyone remembers those dolls. The only thing I don't like is the gold packaging, which is kind of tacky tbh. Why not be a bit more consistent with the chocolate theme and make it look like a candy wrapper or a chocolate bar or something?

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

PALE SISTERS OUT THERE!!!! This is THE bronzer for you! So long lasting and gives a sun kissed vibe! I threw out my Hoola Lite, NARS Laguna, Guerlain Terracotta. This is perfection! Also package: I DIE!!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have very fair skin with yellow undertones. I used to wear Bare Minerals' Warmth bronzer until I noticed it looked a little too red/orange on my skin. I got the mini Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil bronzer in the Bronzer Wardrobe from Ulta and it works perfectly.
I love the cocoa smell, which just makes it more fun to use. I also love that it's cruelty free. However, it's pretty expensive and I don't think the Bronzer Wardrobe is available anymore.
I wouldn't repurchase because of the price, but I heard about a dupe that I think I will purchase once I finish my mini bronzer: The Milani Multitasked Face Powder in 05 Tan. It's only $6.29 and from swatches, I believe it's the exact same color. I can live without the delicious chocolate scent for that price.
**EDIT**
I bought the Milani Multitasker Face Powder in 05 Tan and it's the exact same color as the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil. I found it for around $8 I think at Meijer. The only differences are obviously the smell and it's a little bit more pigmented so I have to use a little less product. If you want to save your money, the Milani powder is definitely a dupe.

The absolute love of my life. I have been dying to find a true brown bronzer forever without it looking like dirt on my skin, and this is it. It really is a beautiful chocolatey tan glow. It blends beautifully, is very subtle and smells amazing. I love the packaging and I will continue to repurchase because it's great on my skin. I am fair, BUT WARM TONED. If you are not warm, this may not work for you. For reference: MAC NC15-20, Revlon PR Shell, Revlon CS in Buff.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I'm always very wary of bronzers. First, they always look orange on me, even the Benefit Hoola bronzer. Otherwise, they are glittery and chunky and just looks bad.

But....my foundation was a shade too light and I wanted a sunkissed look for summer since my face tan has not caught up to my chest and arms.I was originally going to get this in the darker color, and then decided to get the lighter shade just in case. When I suddenly got tanner (NC30 to NC40 in a week!) I was afraid that the lighter shade I ordered online would be too light.
Nope!

It gives such a beautiful and matte color to my skin that doesn't look forced, streaky, heavy handed, and most importantly, orange! It takes about one full sweep to bring color into my cheeks and I use this on my high cheekbones to bring them out, as well as on my temples for a faux tan.I have yet to contour my nose with this but I'm very suspicious that it will look absolutely natural.

Beautiful packaging, looks great on my counter.

The one con is the fake chocolate smell....reminds me of the chocolate milk cartons the first graders I work with spill, or sugary candy. Yuck. At least it only lasts a few minutes on my skin. If you smell it from afar, not so bad. Don't put your nose to the powder if you don't like chocolate. I eat chocolate by the ton and it still smells gross to me. Also, I cried a few tears the other day and it streaked through the bronzer LOL so I guess don't get your face wet or cry over stupid things when you have this on.

Overall, my HG bronzer for the purpose of bronzing. I can't say this is pigmented enough for contouring and sculpting, but I think the original shade would work for that.