Alba Botanica Natural Hawaiian Drink It Up Coconut Milk Shampoo

Alba Botanica Natural Hawaiian Drink It Up Coconut Milk Shampoo

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 3/24/2016 3:55:00 AM

I'm seriously perplexed by the negative reviews. My scalp is never itchy and my hair is super soft and the wash lasts for at least 4 days. I was actually sad when I ran out and couldn't find it. It makes it super shiny and while you have to use more than say traditional shampoos my hair is so clean and yet it doesn't feel stripped. I'm using a different brand right now and I hate it compared to this one. It's literally the best shampoo I've ever bought. I also have to say the coconut milk scent is so delicious and just smells amazing!!

on 11/3/2015 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I was eager to try this out, and I'm bummed that it's just not working out. The shampoo smells softly of coconut, and it is a clear gel. It seems to disappear quickly in my hands, so maybe it is running, I need to put it in my hair quickly. I feel a mild itchiness in my scalp as soon as I start using it, but hope that I'm imagining it. But for the next day, my scalp is still itchy! Not a terrible itch, but enough that I feel like itching it a few times a day. Next, my hair gets oily again pretty quickly at the scalp. Maybe the irritation triggered an overproduction of oil from my scalp? And when I go to use it again, I notice it takes a good bit of shampoo and rinsing to get the oil out. So though I wanted to love this as a matched set with the conditioner, this one has to go. I think I'm going back to Nature's Gate shampoo for now.

Update: So after searching the web for better natural shampoos, I'm finding a lot of reviews with similar problems that I am having. It is making me wonder if the shampoos that contain the harmful ingredients we are trying to avoid manage to prevent/delay hair problems due to those ingredients?? Meaning, maybe the fact that the natural shampoos lack some of those ingredients means they leave our hair more natural - and maybe my natural hair is coming through more, with the oiliness at the scalp. I'm not sure what ingredient is causing the mild scalp irritation. BUT, I'm going to keep trying this in the following way. I'm not going to focus this on my scalp, but just on cleaning the hair. I was once told we only need a dime size amount of shampoo, then the lather will wash down the hair shaft and get to the rest of the hair. It should work in the other direction, too - it's even closer to the scalp, so just that bit of run off for the scalp, the rest just for the hair. (If I need to focus on my scalp once a week, then I will use a special shampoo that I have for that - probably less drying for the scalp that way, anyway.) Then I will limit the conditioner to the neck down area (I had started out doing that, but I went up further when I felt my scalp itching, I thought maybe I had gotten too dried out from the shampoo, in general other shampoos had been drying me out too much, so I would put a teeny bit of conditioner near the top as well). Then I will report back. Since I'm not seeing any definitive reviews of other natural shampoos that won't give the problems I have had with this one, I don't feel like shopping around just yet.

2nd update: This is a no-go. Focusing less on my scalp did help, and I can understand that hair would get oiler at a rate that you'd need to use it every other day - but the itching! It wasn't as bad initially, but by the second day, I actually could feel some lumps on my scalp - I must be reacting to something in it, my scalp just gets irritated and itchy. So - it does an okay job cleaning, you do need to use more than you would other shampoos, your hair will get oily quicker, and if you're like me, it will also be quite itchy. Knocking this down to 1 star, actually.

To Read all 18 Reviews, Login or Join

I love using tropical scented items in the summer and I have used Alba products before so I tried this shampoo. The summer sun and swimming dries out my hair and leaves it looking damaged (and I almost never use a hair dryer), so I needed something to give it a moisture boost. It smells wonderful, like natural pina colada, but did not seem to live up to it's "mega moisture" expectation. It did cleanse fine, but I will not repurchase if I need a shampoo to help heal my dry hair. The list of ingredients sounds great, but it just didn't perform for me. I also feel like it is way overpriced.

I am perplexed by the negative reviews on this product. I was looking for Sulfate-Free shampoos and found this one. I am in love with this product. It takes a bit more shampoo to really get your hair feeling clean, but it's worth it. It does not strip the natural oils in my hair, it moisturizes it. I have naturally greasy hair (when it's not frizzy and dried out after traditional shampoos), so for this product to work for me, it must be truly great. My hair is not only soft, it is also shiny. It feels and looks so healthy and beautiful. I highly reccomend the shampoo and conditioner to anyone whose tresses get frizzy and parched after shampooing with traditional shampoo. This is the best experience I have ever had with a hair product.

on 4/20/2015 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Meh. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It smells very nice, but that doesn't last. It's moisturizing if your hair isn't very dry or damaged. For the price (about $10 a bottle) I just can't justify buying it again for something that doesn't really wow me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

When I bought this shampoo, I was buying it for the smell (yum, pineapples!) and the ingredients (no sulfates, one silicone halfway down the list). Its got its cleansers in it, followed by coconut and macadamia oils, aloe juice, and then some extracts.

I usually use this shampoo on the days my hair isn't too greasy and in need of some extra moisture. With this shampoo I get a good amount of moisture and plenty of cleaning action. However, I took one star off the rating because I kind of have to use a lot of shampoo to really feel my hair getting clean.

If you wash your hair daily (which is bad, but a habit for some) this shampoo could really help with moisturizing your hair.

on 4/23/2014 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My hair is very important to me so finding a natural shampoo and conditioner is important to me. When I saw that this shampoo was vegan and sulfate free I had to give it a try. I bought the shampoo and conditioner. After my first wash with the shampoo I was already put off by the gel-like consistency of it and after rinsing it out my hair felt stripped and almost "squeaky" clean. The conditioner was very moisturizing though so I continued to use them. overall I would say I felt as though I was playing games with my hair using this product stripping all natural oils and then adding moisture back with the conditioner. I would buy the conditioner again if it were on sale but will not buy the shampoo. I prefer Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner.

on 8/9/2013 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

My 3a curly color-treated hair is dry, and my scalp is dry and sensitive. This shampoo irritated my scalp and made it itch, and it made my hair very dry and fly-away. It might be a good shampoo for normal hair, though.

on 6/30/2013 12:18:00 PM

I tried this shampoo after reading some of the reviews and because I love anything coconut scented. Unfortunatlely the only positive thing is the fragrence. The coconut scent is lovely and natural, not chemical smelling. My hair is fine/wavy not too dry or oily and this product left my hair dark and dried out. I've used it a few times to be sure and each time was the same.
I guess I will have to continue my search.

on 6/6/2013 9:30:00 PM

Really liking this shampoo. Isn't drying at all which is great, I have such a hard time finding shampoos that work because I have really dry scalp/seborrheic dermatitis. Smells very sweet and coconutty/pineappley but not strong or headache inducing! Rinses clean too. I just really wish it had a pump bottle. I got mine on iherb.com, you can use this code GWT337 for up to $10 off your order.