Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA+++

3.8

Aqua/Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Terephthalylidene Dicamphor Sulfonic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Drometrizole Trisiloxane, Alcohol Denat, Triethanolamine, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Nylon-12, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Tocopherol, Tromethamine, Ethylparaben, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 80.

I've been using this now in the summer for 3 months, I've been very impressed so far with the formula! It's a white gel base however it does not look white on the face and it's an amazing sunscreen to put on under makeup. I went to a music festival for 5 days and everyday I put this as a base before my foundation and it worked out really well! My makeup stayed put for 12 hours and I didn't get sunburned at all. I went to a lot of warm destinations and this worked really well there as well. I was afraid because of the High Spf 50 that it might break my combination skin type however my skin was clear, no breakouts and a lot of people told me that I was "glowing" and that my skin looked so good. I will stick with this as well in the upcoming months to see if I can wear it all year around, hopefully it will be a good experiment because I think I found my Holy grail sunscreen!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I do not know where to start with this. My version has parabens in the composition, which is the first drawback. It is thick, sticky, and oily from the get-go. I have tried it on three or four different occasions and after the last time I woke up the next morning with 3-4 painful red pustules and one big disgusting white one (sorry for being so descriptive but I was really upset to see and feel my skin like that, after constantly trying to keep it blemish free). Definitely not for oily or even combination skin types.

I apply 1/4 teaspoon everyday on my face alone just to get the adequate protection and its soooo greasy and oily. It wouldnt be the case if i used a japanese sunscreen and applied the same amount. This just stays on the face and leaves a white cast. I honestly cant wait to finish using my jumbo bottle(wrong decision to buy the jumbo size) and go back to japanese sunscreens. Verdict: overhyped!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm on my second tube and it's time for a review.

I really like how "dry" this feels on my face. All the other 50 spf sunscreens make me look pale and shiny like a disco ball. This behaves like a daily moisturizer, i forget i even have it on. It's light and comfortable.

I was very afraid that when they repackaged they might have also altered the formula but no, it's still the same good product.

My only concern is the tube, it does not balance on its head. When i don't store it upright i end up squirting some product when squeezing the tube. But it's a minor problem.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love this product. Everything breaks me out and this one did not. Not super duper hydrating , but you might wear it over your usual day cream.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to give this a 3 star, but considering that I've been comparing it to Japanese sunscreen standards, it is a 4 among the offers in European / American markets.

First of all, it is not only SPF50, but also PA+++, which is far more important in my books than only protecting from sunburning UVBs. I'm less likely to trust a sunscreen that only says broad spectrum on the packaging regarding UVA, although I do know this has something to do with different countries' different regulations.

This sunscreen is a rich white cream that is typical of many western brand sunscreen. It's less thick than all the other (western brand) sunscreens that I've tried, and comparatively it's very easy to spread on the face, but still definitely not a watery kind of sunscreen that would absorb instantly. You need a bit of time to evenly rub it on the face and let absorb (still not bad). The good thing is that it doesn't smell like sunscreen or alcohol at all, and my skin absorbs it rather quickly despite the fact that I use a good amount (it really pains me whenever people use a tiniest bit of sunscreen, you're not getting the protection level on the tube if you do that). It is also very hydrating on my dry skin, and my foundation almost looks better (meaning, not cracking out of dryness throughout the day) on top of it.

The sunscreen stays on the skin for a very long time, even though it's not advertised as being water resistant. How do I know? Well because it gives me a whitening effect... It's definitely not as bad as many other sunscreens that give you a scary white cast, but when I use a sufficient amount it definitely makes my skin look a shade paler. It's a bit of an annoyance, but I do have to mix my foundation with a slightly darker shade on top of the sunscreen. After a few hours my skin does not darken, which means this sunscreen is not worn off. That's a good thing, because honestly, who really does reapply their sunscreen over makeup everyday? (I don't really go out in the sun that much in any seasons, but if I were to stay outdoors for hours I would probably find a way to reapply...)

Now onto the really bad stuff. I initially enjoyed this sunscreen very much, as it sits under my makeup well. But on a few occasions that I skipped my liquid foundation and only used powder, this made me a shining ball. No matter how much powder foundation I touched up, it was just so greasy and gross. And I can't even imagine wearing this sunscreen without makeup on top, it's extremely sticky; I have many pets in my house, and I find little hairs stuck on my face as soon as I put this sunscreen on. It also balls up, in conjunction with my skincare and any sort of silicone based primer, due to the Dimethicone content in the sunscreen. I have to either wait for half an hour to an hour before my makeup application, or wear very limited skincare before this sunscreen. I already said that my skin is dry, and I really don't like to skip serum and moisturizer. So this results in me getting up pretty early in the mornings, to have enough time for layering and waiting and makeup. Obviously, if I only use a tiny amount of the sunscreen, the whitening / stickiness / balling up greatly diminish, but i don't want to compromise the protection level. It's given me a dilemma now, due to this reason I still miss my Japanese sunscreens (they are generally easy to pile on the face without disturbing skincare or makeup, but we all know that's because of their high alcohol contents).
Generally, I would recommend this sunscreen to those who don't use any skincare or makeup containing Dimethicone, have dry skin, wear makeup on a daily basis, and don't mind the stickiness or the waiting time.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I returned this. The Asian version is much better, but the one they sell in the states has a strange formula. It burns my dry skin, and I had to return it after using it once.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is actually a reasonably satisfying sunscreen, but it's just far too average for the price.

In American dollars this isn't the most expensive product going, but it's twice the price if you convert the UK price back to dollars, and although I personally find this product really practical (no white cast, fairly dry) it's definitely not good for your skin because of the alcohol present in it (Alcohol denat is very drying/ makes sensitive skin freak) but I still had a good run with it. The protection rate is fantastic.

If you don't mind the price and the ingredients this is a decent sunscreen. It does sting around the eyes though, and you have to reapply every few hours. I didn't suffer any break-outs, just a few dry patches after several days of use, for the same sort of prices I'd personally go for a La Roche Posay sunscreen (provided it's alcohol denat free) or even a Coola product (they're mineral sunscreens too, which is great)

Clinique city block spf40 is also good if your skin takes to it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is an amazing sunscreen! It can be spreaded easily and has no white cast! It also works well for my oily-combo skin throughout the day and it has never felt heavy on my skin! However, it is too expensive and that alone will stop me from buying it!
I'd say get the sample first before getting the full-sized product, if you do not like it you won't be wasting your money!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is by far the best sunblock ive used.. its lightweight, no perfume, and sinks in the skin almost immediately..

I would recommend for anyone who would use this on a daily basis.. not sure if it goes well with makeup though, as never tried to put makeup on top of the cream..