NYX Nude Matte Shadow (all)

NYX Nude Matte Shadow (all)
NYX Nude Matte - Kiss The Day

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I already own Dance The Tides (warm brown) and love it so much that I went out the other day and picked up Underneath It All and Tryst which are both a medium cool brown. They look very similar in color but since they are so cheap at just under $4 each in Bed Bath & Beyond I decided to get both.

They are easy to apply and blend, last all day on top of my foundation and never crease. Not a ton of colors to choose from but if your looking for some nice neutral shades you won't have any trouble finding them. I totally enjoy and recommend these nude matte shadows.

on 1/8/2017 12:04:00 AM

This is a great contour for cool toned women in shade Underneath It All. Thanks to the blog Thoseporegirls for helping me find this. Great pigmentation and lasting power.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I have it in Skinny Dip. This eyeshadow is a dark burgundy purple with tiniest shimmers in it (you can see them only under certain light). It is pigmented, not chalky and not powdery, blends well and lasts quite a long time (I always use a primer, so I can't say how it lasts without anything). The packaging is very flimsy and the eyeshadow pan is not securely glued in there. Also, the pan is so small and the packaging is kinda bulky. It opens and closes well (don't be afraid to break a nail like with Wet n Wild eyeshadows). I use it with neutral matte eyeshadows adding a bit in the outer V of the lid to add dimension and some color, it looks very nice. Overall, if you like this kind of color, then go for it, I don't regret buying this tiny gem at all.

on 4/14/2016 11:19:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this while I was shopping for a matte shadow for my eyebrows and I ended up with the shade "Underneath It All" which is a nice medium brown. It has a tiny hint of red in it which may not be desirable for brows, but my hair has some red in it so it was ok for me. The shadow was very smooth and blendable, but I had to be careful because there was also quite a bit of fallout

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love these shadows - they are velvety and stay on, and you can't beat the price. I have crepey eyelids now that I am trying to make less wrinkled, so no more frosted shadow. My favorite combination of late is Stiletto, Leather and Lace and Coquette, with a dark purple or dark wine color liner. It's just enough color, looks natural. NYX Proof It is a good base, as is the Ulta base, neither make the lid look drier and more wrinkly like some. Especially with a good base, they last all day. I've bought multiples of my favorites so that I never run out.

on 3/20/2016 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These are excellent quality matte eye shadows. I think they are easily as good as more expensive brands at a third of the price. I have Lap Dance, Maybe Later and Dance the Tides (this one is a bit too orangy for me but the former two are Holy Grail status). They are very pigmented, opaque and long lasting.

on 2/21/2016 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I just turned 60, and have recently realized that my love affair with bright, shimmery shadows is over. :-(

So, I've been looking for more mattes, especially those that can be used in a specific way. First of all, they need to apply well (over primer, I use some kind of primer under all powder shadows) and blend well. But I don't want them to be crazy pigmented; good color payoff is important (and that they don't end up an all-one-color muddy mess); I'm not going for an over-the-top smoky eye, but something more subtle and age-appropriate.

So far, the NYX mattes I've gotten fit the bill. The mattes I have now are:
1. Skinny Dip (mid-plum, but not too red)
2. Craving (soft mid-grey)
3. Leather and Lace (soft pinky nude)
4. Coquette (soft mauvey nude, just a bit darker than L&L)
5. S.O.S. (soft light-medium taupe)
6. Over the Taupe (med taupe)

I kinda wish that #2 had a bit more pigment, just a tad more color, but it is good for a subtle look. 3 and 4 make very good lid base colors; I generally add a tap of a coordinating shimmer in the middle of the lid. Either of these work for taupe/brown eye, or a grey/purple eye; the "pink/mauve" aspect is very muted. I am quite fair and don't like anything muddy on the browbone, so don't use these there.

I like to use #5 in the crease toward the inner eye, and #6 the outer crease. Either of these would make a good brow color too, for me #5 would be better.

#1 is soft enough for the inner eye crease; I've paired it with the deep plum in the L'oreal La Palette 2 in the outer eye crease.

I usually don't like a completely matte eye, I add a couple of touches of satin/shimmer, sometimes even metallic, just very restrained. I've found if I mix two shades, one shimmer and one matte, for the underbrow area, it gives the lightness I want (I find straight mattes there look dull) without the 70's patent leather high-shine look.

While I can't say these are the best shadows I've ever used, they are fulfilling the purpose for which they were purchased. I suppose I should say too that I have quite sensitive eyes and these do not cause any kind of itching or other sensitivity.

I am currently waiting for my birthday present, the Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Palette. Hopefully, those will satisfy my cravings for mattes for awhile.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

NYX is one of my favorite lines of cosmetics. And they did not disappoint with this shadow! There are many shades to choose from and they all are highly pigmented. I use a cheap primer so do not know how well these stay on without one. But they all have worked amazingly well for me. Easy to apply (you can go from sheer to heavy with these) and no flaking. Stays put until I am ready to take it off and removes easily. And most of all for a great price!

on 10/30/2015 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

If you're looking for a great and affordable cool toned medium brown crease shade then try Nyx Tryst. It's similar to Mac Wedge.

If you're looking for a dupe for Mac Saddle, then try Nyx Dance The Tides. Blends easily too!

on 8/29/2015 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this in Skinny Dip (which I'm pretty sure doesn't have it's own review slot)

I have the Too Faced Chocolate bar and was really liking how Strawberry Bon Bon looked and wanted to get into more matte looks (aside from the browns that were already in my palette) to add to the Strawberry Bon Bon or even for different shades, like a taupe matte eye. I looked up some Makeup Revolution palettes but wasn't impressed with the pigmentation in store, so I got this in Skinny Dip and swatched a few Hot Singles (that were also matte, just not part of this line) and got those instead. I will agree with all the people who say Nyx's formulation changed...they are a little chalky but I still think Skinny Dip has good pigmentation, so for that color alone I will give a 4, but I wasn't impressed with any other colors so I can see why as a whole they don't get a lot of love.

The cases are so freaking cheap, don't drop those. Even peeling the sticker off, I felt the window start to fall into the case. Uggghh I don't have enough replacement pots for all the Nyx singles I've broken already! It's a trend with them, but the new (round) casing seems to be worse.

I wanted a few more pinky shades but didn't really love the ones availale in the Matte line, so I didn't buy any more of those. I did end up buying a few Makeup Revolution palettes anyway (presumably for the warmer pink matte shades) and I'm going to write a review for those next.