NYX Nude Matte Shadow (all)

NYX Nude Matte Shadow (all)
NYX Nude Matte - Kiss The Day

4.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have these in several shades, but my 2 favorites are Haywire (a medium to dark brownish grey) and Bare my Soul (an olive brown). I have mixed feelings about these. They are buildable, not the flat matte shades, but a hint of satiny matte, which is nice and sits well on the eyes. But, the formula is chalky and there is a lot of fall out when applying, like a previous reviewer mentioned, and I find them more difficult to blend than other brands I have tried. You can avoid the accentuation of wrinkles and crepey eye skin with a good primer and base. This also helps them to blend easier. They do tend to crease over time, even with setting spray. These are just mediocre DS eyeshadows, IMO. But, they aren't horrible. You just have to work with them more/longer to get them to work well. I would not repurchase.

on 2/23/2017 11:28:00 AM

I bought this when I was almost out of my wnw brûlée that I use everyday as a lid color. I was already at ulta so I decided to pick it up as I wanted to try some of these anyways. I got the cream/nude shade. The colors are all really pretty but I didn't need to buy a bunch of things to try at the time. I've had this for awhile now and have a bit left even though I've hit pan. I don't know the name as it has since rubbed off. This is decent but it's powdery and I feel like the wnw is creamier and cheaper. This is maybe $5 and the wnw is what? $2? If that. I'll use it up but probably wouldn't pick up this particular shade again. I would probably try other colors, though.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I already own Dance The Tides (warm brown) and love it so much that I went out the other day and picked up Underneath It All and Tryst which are both a medium cool brown. They look very similar in color but since they are so cheap at just under $4 each in Bed Bath & Beyond I decided to get both.

They are easy to apply and blend, last all day on top of my foundation and never crease. Not a ton of colors to choose from but if your looking for some nice neutral shades you won't have any trouble finding them. I totally enjoy and recommend these nude matte shadows.

on 1/8/2017 12:04:00 AM

This is a great contour for cool toned women in shade Underneath It All. Thanks to the blog Thoseporegirls for helping me find this. Great pigmentation and lasting power.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I have it in Skinny Dip. This eyeshadow is a dark burgundy purple with tiniest shimmers in it (you can see them only under certain light). It is pigmented, not chalky and not powdery, blends well and lasts quite a long time (I always use a primer, so I can't say how it lasts without anything). The packaging is very flimsy and the eyeshadow pan is not securely glued in there. Also, the pan is so small and the packaging is kinda bulky. It opens and closes well (don't be afraid to break a nail like with Wet n Wild eyeshadows). I use it with neutral matte eyeshadows adding a bit in the outer V of the lid to add dimension and some color, it looks very nice. Overall, if you like this kind of color, then go for it, I don't regret buying this tiny gem at all.

on 4/14/2016 11:19:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this while I was shopping for a matte shadow for my eyebrows and I ended up with the shade "Underneath It All" which is a nice medium brown. It has a tiny hint of red in it which may not be desirable for brows, but my hair has some red in it so it was ok for me. The shadow was very smooth and blendable, but I had to be careful because there was also quite a bit of fallout

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love these shadows - they are velvety and stay on, and you can't beat the price. I have crepey eyelids now that I am trying to make less wrinkled, so no more frosted shadow. My favorite combination of late is Stiletto, Leather and Lace and Coquette, with a dark purple or dark wine color liner. It's just enough color, looks natural. NYX Proof It is a good base, as is the Ulta base, neither make the lid look drier and more wrinkly like some. Especially with a good base, they last all day. I've bought multiples of my favorites so that I never run out.

on 3/20/2016 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These are excellent quality matte eye shadows. I think they are easily as good as more expensive brands at a third of the price. I have Lap Dance, Maybe Later and Dance the Tides (this one is a bit too orangy for me but the former two are Holy Grail status). They are very pigmented, opaque and long lasting.

on 2/21/2016 5:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I just turned 60, and have recently realized that my love affair with bright, shimmery shadows is over. :-(

So, I've been looking for more mattes, especially those that can be used in a specific way. First of all, they need to apply well (over primer, I use some kind of primer under all powder shadows) and blend well. But I don't want them to be crazy pigmented; good color payoff is important (and that they don't end up an all-one-color muddy mess); I'm not going for an over-the-top smoky eye, but something more subtle and age-appropriate.

So far, the NYX mattes I've gotten fit the bill. The mattes I have now are:
1. Skinny Dip (mid-plum, but not too red)
2. Craving (soft mid-grey)
3. Leather and Lace (soft pinky nude)
4. Coquette (soft mauvey nude, just a bit darker than L&L)
5. S.O.S. (soft light-medium taupe)
6. Over the Taupe (med taupe)

I kinda wish that #2 had a bit more pigment, just a tad more color, but it is good for a subtle look. 3 and 4 make very good lid base colors; I generally add a tap of a coordinating shimmer in the middle of the lid. Either of these work for taupe/brown eye, or a grey/purple eye; the "pink/mauve" aspect is very muted. I am quite fair and don't like anything muddy on the browbone, so don't use these there.

I like to use #5 in the crease toward the inner eye, and #6 the outer crease. Either of these would make a good brow color too, for me #5 would be better.

#1 is soft enough for the inner eye crease; I've paired it with the deep plum in the L'oreal La Palette 2 in the outer eye crease.

I usually don't like a completely matte eye, I add a couple of touches of satin/shimmer, sometimes even metallic, just very restrained. I've found if I mix two shades, one shimmer and one matte, for the underbrow area, it gives the lightness I want (I find straight mattes there look dull) without the 70's patent leather high-shine look.

While I can't say these are the best shadows I've ever used, they are fulfilling the purpose for which they were purchased. I suppose I should say too that I have quite sensitive eyes and these do not cause any kind of itching or other sensitivity.

I am currently waiting for my birthday present, the Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Palette. Hopefully, those will satisfy my cravings for mattes for awhile.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

NYX is one of my favorite lines of cosmetics. And they did not disappoint with this shadow! There are many shades to choose from and they all are highly pigmented. I use a cheap primer so do not know how well these stay on without one. But they all have worked amazingly well for me. Easy to apply (you can go from sheer to heavy with these) and no flaking. Stays put until I am ready to take it off and removes easily. And most of all for a great price!