Smashbox PHOTO FINISH HYDRATING FOUNDATION PRIMER

Smashbox PHOTO FINISH HYDRATING FOUNDATION PRIMER

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Imperata Cylindrica Root Extract, Glycerin, Stearyl Dimethicone, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, PEG-8, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol [ /- Blue 1 (CI 42090), Red 4 (CI 14700), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)] ILN38097

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This isn't my favorite primer but I do really like it. My face is EXTREMELY oily. I use a very matte fndt that fills in my pores (Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse) so I would never use this on most of my face. However, I've been having a very hard time finding a new undereye concealer ever since I deemed my former favorite, Maybelline Fit Me, too dark for my very pale skin. I tried a bunch of other concealers and none had that same super hydrating finish that seemed to blend OVER find lines.

It occurred to me, after being disappointed with undereye moisturizers as a solution, that maybe a properly formulated primer might do the trick. This is very hydrating. I applied Nars Creamy Radiant over it on my undereye area and I immediately noticed a big difference. The formula now looked dewier. My undereye lines were blurred. And I did not crease nearly as bad.

I think Smashbox is insane to now charge $40+ for a 1 oz primer. Their brand is really not that prestige. But using this as an undereye primer..I'm sure that would last a long time. I'll probably repurchase, but only if I don't find a better option. I'm still wanting to try Elf's undereye primer soon.

on 2/26/2016 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I was given a sample of this to try as I was looking for a primer for very dry skin that doesn't accentuate my wrinkles. I applied it after using vivierskin serum 20 vitamin C, followed by Just the Goods face lotion. Yes, my skin is that dry! I let this sit on my face for about 10 minutes before applying foundation.

I used it with Revlon Colorstay whipped creme makeup on the day I wanted more coverage and Clairns Super Restorative Tinted Cream on the other days. It worked beautifully with both of these products.
I am currently sampling other primers, but so far none has compared to this. I am only using the other primer samples as I hate to waste product. I will likely buy it again as I have not yet found anything that compares.

To Read all 44 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It really irritated my skin, my entire face turned red and itchy. I don't even have sensitive skin. Way overpriced.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I debated between giving this a rating of 4 or 5 lippies, but finally decided on 5 because this primer really is THAT good if you have dry to extremely dry skin. I also have skin that is insanely sensitive and gets angry and red and blotchy (super irritated) if I use a product that it doesn't like. It's tough to find a primer that actually nourishes while making makeup last longer and look more natural. This primer does that and more. I purchased this after realizing that the Smashbox photo finish primer oil did not mix well with my damp beauty blender. I absolutely love the primer oil and I have a review for that here on makeupalley as well. I bought this thinking it would work much better with my water based products and beauty blender, and it works beautifully. I love how soothing it feels on the skin and how it really smooths my skin out making makeup application much easier. I also feel like it makes my makeup look more natural? it's hard to explain but it just makes things blend and melt into the skin so much better. It feels like a cooling, hydrating gel when applied and smooths out easily. Doesn't leave any sticky or tacky residue, just a smooth, hydrated complexion perfect for makeup application. Yes the price is outrageous, but for what this does to me it is just totally worth it. I also like that it doesn't feel heavy or overly silicone-y, just smooth, light, and hydrating. Absolutely love this primer.

I have very dry skin and I was looking for something that will give me an extra booste in hydrating my skin before I put on my foundation. I was very reluctant on buying this because of the price. It's $42 which is insane for a primer, and this seems to be the only primer you have to buy in full size out of the SmashBox primers. So I thought for the price of the primer, it has to do wonders and I read reviews on it and they were mostly good, so I thought hey why not. I voted it 3 bc the primer works, but not as good as it should. The price is insane and there are other primers that are a lot cheaper and probably do the same thing. Don't buy it.

on 12/18/2015 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This comes out as a thin liquid fluid, with almost no scent. My dry skin can sometimes suck the moisture out of a foundation which will make my skin look dry and patchy. This will create a barriere between my skin and foundation, and my make-up stayed longer and looked fresher during the day. But I just can't justify the price at €37,00 european price it's way to high, it's nice but not "good" enough to come in that price range. So considering price and performance, I voted no I'm not rebuying. I feel there are more primers to create that barriere for a lower price and I'm still experimenting to find one that I really love.

on 11/6/2015 5:11:00 PM

I hate spending a lot of money of makeup especially primer but I have to say I really do love this primer it really does make my makeup stay all day long and it really does cool down your face.

on 8/14/2015 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

this is great for dry skin
it is very light and straight away absorbs in the skin
it feels like youve just hydrated your skin and is a great foundation base.
it allows makeup to stay on all day and not get faded or look patchy

on 8/6/2015 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this while I was on roaccutane and found that my matte foundation was not sitting great on my overly dry skin.
It's an amazing product, it's so light and felt very hydrating on my skin! Like I'd just splashed water all over. It's absorbed immediately and little bit goes a long way. Kind of reminds me a serum in terms of texture.
Not sure how this would go on oily skin but it is water based. I only used it when my skin was very dry.
The packing is good but I think $56 for 30mls is a little steep. (Australia)
Would re-purchase if I found my skin got too dry during winter.

on 8/4/2015 11:51:00 AM

I have dry-combination skin. This product was okay for my dry t-zone, but left the rest of my skin feeling very oily. I couldn't wait to wash it off. Perhaps better for someone with a true dry-skin.