Alterna Bamboo Volume Plumping Strand Expand

Alterna Bamboo Volume Plumping Strand Expand

3.4

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I only discovered this product a few months ago when I found a bottle in the clearance section at TJ Maxx. It cost me $5.99 so I decided to give it a try. I have long, medium-thick, relaxed hair. I am in my early 60s and my hair has lost some of its thickness due to hormonal changes and the graying of my strands. Well, let me tell you -- this Alterna Bamboo Strand Expand has been like finding the "fountain of youth" for my hair. I use about 6-7 pumps on my towel dried hair before blow drying it. It increases the overall thickness of my hair while leaving it silky soft and shiny. I absolutely love it and my hair stylist is as impressed with it as I am. The bad news is that the product has been discontinued and it is difficult to find. I found a couple of bottles in the clearance sections at a couple of stores which will last me a while, but after it's gone, I'll have to get it on amazon or ebay where it is quite costly. Even so, it's worth it to me because it works so well. It does not leave a build up, it smells great, and the thickness lasts until I shampoo my hair. Why do companies discontinue great products??? I just hate that I didn't find this sooner.
P.S. I have a really sensitive scalp but have had no adverse affect from using this product!

on 1/29/2017 3:48:00 AM

I like the smell but I didnt see any volume in my hair

on 6/11/2016 9:55:00 AM

I usually do at least okay with Alterna Bamboo which is why I took a chance & bought this on-line. Tried it once but it's a no-go, unfortunately. It did make it feel thicker the first day but the second day was not presentable & I like to go 3 days between shampoos. Also seemed like it made my color look a little off & definitely caused buildup, even after just one use. It took a week or so before my hair felt normal again. I wish returning was an option!!

on 11/27/2014 10:24:00 AM

Just "meh". No real volume. Smells great though.

Great for medium-fine hair. Sort of matte, encourages natural texture. Overall great product.

on 12/23/2013 10:17:00 AM

I need to preface my review with the fact that I have used Alterna styling products for a couple of years. I have always had successful results. When the old Thickening Cream in the turquoise tube was discontinued, I was really upset. I had used that for years and found that it really gave my fine hair volume, without weighing the roots down. I went back and forth using other products and then came across this one recently. I had a coupon and i thought I would give it a try. I used it for the first time today and I absolutely LOVE it. I used about 4-5 pumps and distributed it throughout towel dry hair evenly starting at my ends and working it up towards the crown/roots. My bangs are voluminous and my hair is holding curl leaving my hair with body. The true test will be to see how long it lasts throughout the day, so I'll be sure to update. So far, so good!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've been using this for about a month and I think it's a great product for styling fine, thin hair. I was skeptical at first because texture-wise, it's a lotion, but it doesn't weigh down my hair at all. I only need 4-5 pumps (they're small dollops) to cover my long hair and I can really tell a difference after I blow dry. My hair looks thicker and richer; it stands up well to the Texas heat and I really haven't much trouble with humidity like I used to. I used it alternately with my Enjoy hair serum, which I generally use to control frizz when I air-dry my hair.

It might seem pricey, but a little goes a long way, so one bottle will most likely last for at least four months, and that would be if you blow-dried daily.

Ive changed my mind about this product, I can't get the volume I'm looking for with this

This Alterna styling product, Strand Expand, does successfully in creating the volume in my hair. Even moreso, when it is combined with Alterna's Silk Sleek Brilliance Creme.

The frizzies are kept at bay, the volume is created, and my inverted bob seems to be a lot more swinging in a slanted line. The aroma is nice, too. The blow-drying was a charm because this styling aid pumped up the volume so easy peasy! Also, I liked the texture of my hair after the dry-out, and was glad there was no icky residue like some products leave in the hair. No greasiness, no stickiness.

Al the Alterna products seem to be on the costly factor when you figure that the product is in small quantities. If you search the net, you will find that these $22 bottles are available for $15 at Pandora. I will test out the Bamboo Volume Abundant Shampoo and Conditioner and report back on another review for them. But for now, I highly recommend this product! Also you really only need to pump out a small amound of product, for the fantastic results, which is a "good thing" as Martha would say, considering the price point.

I really wanted to Love this product, but it did practically nothing for my hair. It did give a bit of volume for a few hours after blow drying, but it didn't last. I'm much happier with Living Proof Thickening cream.

Popular Styling Products