Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo

3.2

Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Coconut Oil), African Black Soap, Salicylic Acid, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Charcoal Powder, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed (Jojoba) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Oil*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract, Plantain Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love this shampoo!! I finally found a store near me in Canada that stocks it and I'm thrilled. I've always used Head and Shoulders because anything else would leave me with an itchy scalp. I colour my hair so I've always been looking for something else that would cut the itch but be gentler on my colour and this is it! Been using it for a month and no itchy scalp. Love the smell and I usually hate scented products.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Wonderful, natural cruelty-free shampoo that clarifies and leaves the scalp balanced and the hair cuticles feeling squeaky clean! :) Will repurchase!

on 8/4/2015 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This get my hair clean and leaves it feeling very soft and not strip like most shampoos. It has a earthy medicine smell to it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This DOES what it claims. I was losing hair in patches and had itchy, flaky scalp. I went to the doctor and he said that I had patch psoriasis. Since I also have non-celiac gluten sensitivity I scrambled to get a gluten free shampoo (had been using the expensive infomercial shampoo, which left my hair great but had WHEAT in it, hence the consequences)

This shampoo and mask not only calmed my scalp immediately, it works on my face and has cleared my complexion without drying it, leaving it smooth and pores less open, so blackheads are gone too! Wut! I'm so sold.

The scent isn't great but it's not awful and I have problems with strong scents, so if I tolerate it, most people will. It's not overwhelmingly sweet.

My hair grew back, thank you very much, and my scalp no longer itches or gets red! And the mask is spectacular... Very soothing.

That said, I have been using it for a couple of months and my hair did turn straw-like. So today I went to get their other shampoos, masks and conditioners, which are also gluten free to repair my hair now that my scalp calmed down.

Overall, I love that this line is natural, vegan, etc... I know I'm not putting poison on my head which your entire body absorbs. I'm very happy to have found it.

I'm not sure if this line is meant for "ethnic hair" and I see some of it is to transition to "natural" hairstyle, but I am Caucasian with a 2b type curl, frizzy and blonde. Just wanted to add that in case someone has questions as to if it is just for one type hair. It's not. It works just as well.

The price is reasonable too! I have no complaints in that it does what it's meant to do! Please don't go out of business, b/c every time I find something I love, it disappears from the market. I'm not changing lines any time soon. Thanks

on 10/16/2013 12:26:00 PM

That's it. This, is the shampoo to end all shampoos.

I have lots of fine, stick straight hair. My scalp is extremely oily and responds quite poorly to silicones, sulfates, etc. Many shampoos leave my scalp greasy yet my ends parched.

Over the years, I have found many shampoos that do clean my hair, but aren't perfect. L'Oreal everpure was great a few years ago, then they changed the formula and now it leaves my hair limp and awful. Alaffia Black soap shampoo was almost perfect, but just a little too drying. Organix Coconut was also great a few years ago, but now it leaves my ends crackly and parched but doesn't clean my roots at all. Kiehl's coconut oil shampoo does work (in conjuction with baking soda)...but it breaks me out.

So I headed to Duane Reade, and recalling my positive experience with Alaffia Black soap shampoo, I decided to give this one a try. And this...is PERFECT. It removes all the gunk from my scalp, but doesn't dry the ends at all. My hair is bouncy, soft, shiny, and voluminous. I get many compliments on my hair these days.

on 4/2/2012 11:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This shampoo has been a Godsend! Nothing, OTC or Rx, has been able to touch my itchy scalp for the last 2-3 years. From apple cider vinegar to sulfur, I have tried it. This product is hands-down the best so far. You can only buy it from Target and Walgreens. The label says this is for itchy scalp, eczema, dandruff, psoriasis, etc. It does have an earthy smell to it, but it does not linger. Your hair will be squeaky clean, so you will need a nice, hydrating conditioner afterwards. I will say that it has not conquered all of the itch, so I also use their Elixir and am going to try the Purification Hair Masque tomorrow.

I have also found an unintended effect of the shampoo - it has faded the hyperpigmentation on my face! I had ordered some black soap face wash and thought, "What the heck, I'll try the shampoo on my face until it gets here; can't hurt." Within a few days I noticed my spots were fading. After using the face wash for a week or so, I noticed my spots were coming back. Now that I've gone back to the shampoo on my face, they are almost completely gone. I don't know if that will work for everybody, but it does for me.

on 8/2/2016 11:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use this once a fortnight as a deep clease for my hair. Some background - my hair is long, very curly and both my scalp and hair are dry due to bleach/dye. My scalp feels very clean after using and my hair isn't left frizzy or stripped (it does feel a little 'dry' straight after washing but once I condition it's fine). It doesn't foam that well as it is sulfate free, so I do have to use quite a large amount but as I don't use this shampoo too frequently I find the bottle lasts several months. I also happen to love the smell; it's quite strong and medicinal but it doesn't linger in my hair after rinsing. I would definitely recommend this shampoo if you're looking for a relatively gentle yet deep cleansing product.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the way this shampoo smells, a bit earthy (woodsy) with a hint of banana (from the plantain). I had rubbed castor oil which is very thick all over my scalp because I'm trying to get a section of hair to grow faster (baaaaaad uneven haircut). This shampoo washed the thick oil right out with no issues. I only needed a little for it to lather. I will use this every two weeks to clarify since I use a lot of shea moisture stuff. My hair is 3a/3b/3c, low porosity, medium density, and medium strand thickness

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

My hair is natural - rather curly and dry. The only chemicals i use is store bought hair dye to cover the grey (sorry but i cross the line at going grey in my thirties, i will fight that every step.) I've switched over to using more natural products lately in my whole regime. Although i have heard of the Shea Moisture products before, i never used them until i stumbled upon them at Target. I don't normally use shampoo on my hair, unless i need to clarify from product build up. I've been using African Black soap (the bar) on my face for the last year, so i know the lovely cleansing properties it has. My hair was in protective twists for the last two weeks. I would only take them down, to moisturize, detangle, and then retwist. Using the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque first, i washed everything out with the African Black Soap Cleansing Shampoo. My biggest fear was tangles, which usually happens when i use shampoo. Washing my hair in sections - untwisting, rinsing, and retwisting - helped keep some of the snags away. There was some, but it wasn't a mess. As expected it did leave my hair squeaky clean, which can mean a little on the less moisture side, BUT it wasn't a nightmare. It didn't feel brittle, there wasn't clumps of tangles which i've had in the past with other shampoos. Although this is was my first time using this, i do believe i will keep it within my routine of once a month clarification from my co-washes.

on 3/25/2016 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I wish this worked well for me, but my hair scalp seems to love sulfates. I've had mild scalp psoriasis most of my adult life and have been looking for a more gentle treatment than T-Gel. I've been using this for about a month 2 times a week and I really haven't noticed my scalp clearing up. I have to wash my hair at least twice weekly or my scalp patches really start building up and itching/flaking. This hasn't prolonged the time I can go between washes and the patches are still on my scalp. I also have to use a lot of this product to really saturate my hair to insure proper cleaning of my scalp. Even so, my hair and scalp never feel "clean". Like I stated before, I think my scalp just needs strong sulfates to cleanse properly.

Popular Shampoos