Boom by Cindy Joseph Boomstick Glimmer

Boom by Cindy Joseph Boomstick Glimmer

3.8

on 4/7/2016 2:16:00 AM

I was on the fence when I ordered the Boom trio, the reviews were mixed. I am 58 and always wear makeup a light foundation and lately notice that it really does nothing for me that my skin looks as good without as long as I have a good moisturizer on it. But I feel naked without makeup what a step to take hiding behind it for years! I do need some or I look washed out, so yes to the mascara and blush and lipstick but more of muted shade that is more flattering. Wearing this product my doctor told me I look refreshed so there you have it, if I can fool my doctor wearing this makeup line then it gets my vote! It leaves my skin looking dewey yes you will feel a little sticky from the beeswax, but ladies, didn't you feel that way from all the make up you wore that weighed you down? At least I look refreshed and dewy now and not old and caked on!

on 3/23/2016 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a makeup minimalist, have embraced the natural-but-finished look since I went over 40, and I have extremely dry skin. I bought the Boom trio and I love it...have since become a huge fan of Boom makeup and moisturizers.
It goes on smooth and relatively sheer...it doesn't sparkle too much and my roseacea prone skin has been fine with it.
I use glimmer 85% of the time on my eyelids - it brightens, doesn't bug my sensitive eyes or skin, and it's easy to put on - just roll the tube over my eyes. It's all I use on my eyelids.
I've seen some use it on their lips - but I find that too glittery for me. It is Pearlescent - not too shimmery - enough to brighten my eyes.
15% of the time I put some on my upper cheek bones - it gives a, well, glimmer effect.
The first time I did this a coworker said "you look glowy today" - and I took that as a compliment. I love this stuff. I am a natural look person, but I could see power-makeup-users adding some glimmer atop their normal routine with this.
I have to reapply 2x a day to keep the glowy look, and with my dry skin I love the moisturizing element of this. Yes I wish it cost less, but I bought a second Glimmer for my purse.

To Read all 8 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/15/2015 2:07:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Very greasy makeup. Like wearing vaseline on your face. Will not be using or recommending to others?

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using the BoomStick Trio for several months now, and to my surprise, my favorite is the champagne-colored highlighter, the Glimmer stick. (I also like the Glo moisturizer stick and the Color multiple, FWIW. I just like the Glimmer the best.)

Why am I surprised? For one, it's a cream highlighter, and I was devoted to my liquid Moonstone from BECCA. For two, it's a mauve-y champagne color in the stick, and I feared it would clash with my pale, warm-toned skin. But no: I pat it on my (nearly non-existent) cheekbones, blend gently, and I get a much more effective gleam than even Moonstone. I don't see lines of demarcation or a clash of undertones.

My favorite use, though, is as a dot on the eyelid just above the pupil, as Cindy demonstrates in a video on her site. This wakes up the neutral, mostly matte eye makeup I usually do without accentuating any creepiness on my eyelids. The Glimmer also doesn't seem to separate or crease particularly. Very nice.

Whether you think this is expensive depends on what you're comparing it to. This is $24 for 8 grams, which is $3/gram. The Stila convertible color is nearly twice as much, at $5.88/gram. The Benefit Watt's Up is $3.2/gram. The Nars Multiple (the original, not the matte) is slightly less, at $2.78/gram. The Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers (which could be used as a highlighters) are $2/gram. So the price seems to me to be in line with similar products.

As for the Moonstone? I use it mostly to mix with too-matte liquid foundations or to thin out cream ones.

This review is for the Boomstick Glimmer, not the Glo or the Color (both of which I like). I had high hopes for the Glimmer, but the color just didn't suit me - nor heinous, just not enhancing. It's certainly a neutral, but didn't do anything for my skin. I understand the minimalist concept of these organic products, but another color option wouldn't be a bad thing.

I gave the packaging a mediocre rating because the printing on the tube rubs off after a short time. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, the product(s) are shipped in a lovely gift bag with a ribbon tie. A simple detail that is a nice to receive. The customer service from Cindy Joseph/Boom products is really good - they've responded to my email questions and concerns promptly and not with a canned reply, but an honest to goodness conversation.

on 7/28/2013 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It's a pitifully small amount of product for an outrageously high price. Too bad, because I do like the color product, but can buy that elsewhere for less. In fact, I've been using my Burt's Bees lipstick in exactly the same manner for years. I just liked the idea that the boomstick has a wider stick and would be easier to use.

I paid $68 + $7.95 shipping for three small tubes of product, only one (the color) of which is usable. The clear is very similar to a solid vaseline or chapstick. The frosted stick is fine if you're in your 20's - I am not. Use of that color and frosted look is very aging and looks like you're outdated by wearing something akin to Slicker from the 1970's.

The Trio does come in a sheer drawstring bag.

To repeat: this is an OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED product for what you receive.

I have no problem paying higher prices for products that work and are worth it. I've been using Erno Laszlo since 1982 but am always interested in trying new products because it's fun! :D I used that skin care because it worked fabulously no matter my age, and skin changes. Even at age 55, my skin looked fabulous. Sadly, they changed the ingredients in so many of their products, so now I'm on the hunt again. I've stopped buying their makeup since they've changed their skincare ingredients.

I was so hoping these boomsticks would be a viable make up for me, but sadly, it doesn't work.

I realize these sticks are makeup and not skin care, but I can get this product at drugstores for much less money should I decide to.

If this were a case of someone being a small, home-based cottage industry creating a quality product, I'd be happy to continue to support the small business, but this is anything but a *small* business.

About the packaging: this item could easily and quite safely have been shipped in a bubble envelope for a fraction of the price I paid.

If the price were to be reduced to be more in line with the quality and amount of product in the tube, I'd buy the colorstick again in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll continue using my Burt's Bees lipstick as my color.

on 2/7/2013 11:59:00 AM

I started out with purchasing Color, and loved it so much I bought the BOOMstick trio next, which includes Color, Glo, and Glimmer. I have always liked a more or less natural look, so these products are perfect for me. Glimmer is a very slight tan/taupe shade, with a little shimmer. It has a nice creamy texture, and although I am 57 and have an oily T-zone, it works great as an eyeshadow and highlighter for cheekbones, browbones, etc. Just ordered BoomSilk and will review later! UPDATE -* STACIO, the Glo BOOMstick is not makeup, it is the moisturizer in stick form ...very convenient, although I am leaving on a trip tomorrow and have packed both Glo and BoomSilk. The glimmer is not aging unless one hasn't taken care of their skin; I use it as a highlighter and eyeshadow, never a lipstick. I love BoomSilk except the smell, which luckily, wears off; I know it's "natural " but some essential oils could be used, and as I love CeraVe, chemical -laden as it is, I probably won't purchase a second jar of BoomSilk. Still love my sticks, especially Color!

on 4/1/2012 1:13:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This review is for the Glimmer stick, a highlighter, and part of former makeup artist and model Cindy Joseph's minimalist cosmetic line. It's a sheer, pearlescent neutral beige shade which pretty much disappears into the skin, leaving a slight sheen. Lightweight, very subtle, non-clogging, no detectable scent. Can be used on cheekbones, eyes (as a very nice neutral cream shadow), browbone, or anywhere on the body. Easy to apply and good staying power, and comes in a very convenient small stick which clicks shut tight and is great for travel.

I keep coming back to this highlighter. Since I'm fair-skinned, I use it sparingly, but anyone with a deeper skin tone could use it more heavily. Great product!

Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Lanolin, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Lanolin Oil, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ozokerite, Ceresin, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT. (May Contain): Mica , Titanium Dioxide , Iron Oxides , Bismuth Oxychloride (77163), Carmine (75470), Manganese Violet , Blue 1 Lake , Orange 5 , Orange 5 Lake , Red 6 , Red 7 Lake , Red 21, Red 21 Lake , Red 22 Lake , Red 27 , Red 27 Lake , Red 28 Lake , Red 30 Lake , Red 33 Lake , Red 36 , Red 40 Lake , Yellow 5 Lake , Yellow 6 Lake , Yellow 10 Lake.