NYX Provocateur 1 Brush, 2 Styles

NYX Provocateur 1 Brush, 2 Styles

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Pros:

- It has a nice, functional tube, I guess?
- Inexpensive---but it's worth noting that it's not the cheapest thing at the drugstore, either. (Around $9 CAD at Target.)

Cons:

- The "natural" level brush was hard to apply, the product never seemed to brush onto my lashes without serious effort.
- The "dramatic" level brush was also hard to apply, because it was sticky and clumpy, and all-around irritating to use. Also proved to be a very messy application.

I hate to be the single naysayer in this seemingly very positive bunch, but I have to say that I absolutely hated this mascara, perhaps because I also have the "original" of this type of mascara with the two different styles (MAC Haute & Naughty). If you like this concept, of the same brush with two different "styles" of application, you're better off forking over the extra cash for MAC Haute & Naughty, in my opinion (which is an excellent mascara, though pricey).

Where do I begin with this? I'm a big fan of NYX in general. Everything I've tried except for this product has been a hit for me. So that's why I was surprised that this was such a dud. The "first level" of mascara looks very natural, but it does NOT distribute product very well through your lashes. I felt like I kept combing it through and combing it through and hardly any product would be on my lashes. The "second" level", which is meant to be more dramatic, IS dramatic---dramatically clumpy and messy to apply! This clumped horribly and would sort of seem to get "stuck" on my lashes, which meant I would try to comb out the clumps and get mascara all over my eyelid.

This product was just such a headache to use that I'll never repurchase, and I also hated the appearance of my lashes after the fact. I have naturally quite light, but long, lashes and it doesn't take much to make enhance their length, but this gave me nothing in that regard. Not a fan, one lippie.

UPDATE: I threw this away shortly after writing this review. I never usually throw away products before I have used them up, but in this case, I hated this so much that I couldn't stand to use it anymore.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I like this mascara because it has two wand compartments and you can choose to use one or the other wand (it unscrews for the second brush). I prefer the top wand as it gives a more natural look. I dosen't clump or flake or smear.The second wand gives a more mascared look and it still does not clump. I will be buying this again, I got this at Ulta.And its cheap.

on 3/25/2012 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have to say that I'm pretty surprised that no one has reviewed this yet!

I've given this 3 weeks and am STILL pleasantly surprised by this mascara. It's too soon to think I've hit a HG - it needs to get through a DC summer - but it's truly a keeper.

I picked this up on a whim when I couldn't find "Propel My Eyes" to try -- also by NYX. I like the DollEye but have a heck of a time finding it; Propel My Eyes has been even more elusive. I tried Frou Frou and suffered lots of undereye smudging, and I've been on the hunt for a good, inexpensive mascara for XX years.

This one works like a tubing mascara for me but provides better volume and separation. I confess that I prefer a more natural look, and some of the tubing mascaras look clunky and clumpy. It comes with two nestled brushes, and I start with the larger one on my upper lashes then finish with the smaller one on the upper and lower. I'm older and must use eye cream, so smudging is my No. 1 complaint about most mascaras. Not with Provocateur - not a smudge or flake.

For removal, it acts like a tubing mascara -- a little water and pressure, and it's off. I usually use cleanser and remove this while I'm washing my face. It does come off in pieces, but don't think these are your lashes.

I've stopped buying Clinique's Bottom Lash, because I no longer need it. I haven't really tried to go dramatic, so I'm not sure how it might build coat-to-coat. I haven't found it too wet or too dry.

I hope you ladies try and like this -- otherwise it won't matter that it may be my HG!

on 6/21/2012 3:10:00 PM

This is my first NYX product and I love it. My favorite non-waterproof mascara was Maybelline Full 'n Soft. I was curious to try this ingenious brush design.

Provocateur is a very black mascara that is water-resistant, but easy to remove with warm water. It does leave little pieces of mascara that don't fully dissolve when it leaves the lashes. When you unscrew the bigger base, there is more mascara on the wand. When the smaller base is unscrewed, the mascara wand gets scraped off inside the tube and there is less mascara on the wand.

I like to use the smaller base because I like a more natural look on my lashes. It's fantastic at getting the bottom lashes. I noticed that it gave more volume than length. It was easy to build up the length since it didn't clump on my lashes. My lashes still feel soft after the mascara dries.

A couple downfalls are that it feels a little heavy on the lashes and it doesn't hold my curl very well. Nothing that a curler can't fix!

on 6/22/2012 8:58:00 PM

I really like this mascara n I'm a pain when it comes to masacara. The two dif applications allow u to control how much product you use. I use the thin end then the thick then the thin again. I gave it 4 lippies bc it won't hold a curl n it washes off in chunks.