Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Pencil - black navy

Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Pencil - black navy
Long Wear Eye Pencil - black navy

2.7

on 11/15/2017 11:13:00 PM

I have this in 'Jet' and I love it. This review is only for this particular color 'Black Navy'. I like this color 'Black Navy'. However, this one does not apply as smooth as 'Jet' and the pigmentation is not opaque sometimes. It is a lovely color, though. But I have to go over the eyes twice to get a good pigmented line. This one does not smudge on me like the other reviewers suggest. But, I want a smudged liner look sometimes. This does not work well for that as well. When I try to smudge this liner the product wears off completely sometimes. Try this long-wear pencil in 'Jet' or 'Mahagony' though. They are very good.

Pros
- good color (a dark navy)
- does not smudge or crease on me

Cons:
- not pigmented
- the product wears off unevenly (in comparison with 'Jet', it is not very long wearing)

on 11/17/2013 1:22:00 AM

I am reviewing the Long Wear Eye Pencil in Mahogany.

I have oily, hooded lids and this eyeliner does not fare well at all. It smudges within 1-2 hours (regardless of whether an eye primer is used, or humidity level).

It is soft and therefore very easy to use (no tugging of eyelids during application), however avoid this if you have oily lids or risk looking like a panda!

on 6/13/2013 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I like to think I'm an expert with eyeliners. I try them lower lash line and inner rim, with and without concealer and with and without mascara. That way if a product smears, I know it's the liner. I've also tested ALOT. That being said, this eyeliner is a horrid smudge mess! Talk about raccoon eyes. I want a liner to last all day. This was smudging within a few hours and I wasn't even outside or exercising. Sitting around in air conditioning and this smeared everywhere. Truly awful and I can't wait to get my $ back. This pencil From bb is supposed to be the pencil form of the gel and it is NOT! I will stick to the pot any day. Black navy was a rich deep true navy, very pretty color and I like that u could see the actual navy. Also soft and easy to apply With no tugging. But at $24 and a smudgy mess, skip this product.

on 10/8/2012 10:08:00 AM

My review is actually on the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Pencil in Jet, but since this product is not yet in the MakeupAlley database, and I haven't completed 20 reviews so I can't add new products to the Productville database, I'm forced to post it here.

The Bobbi BrownLong-Wear Eye Pencil in Jet was an epic fail for me. It is very black, very creamy, and glides on smoothly, but smears and smudges like crazy on me. There was smearing under my eye after 2 hours wear, the eyeliner had transferred and creased after 4 hours wear, and by 12 hours wear the eyeliner was just a complete mess. Using the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion barely helped with the lasting power. I tried setting the eyeliner with black eyeshadow the next day, and the results were just as bad. It's so awful that hubby has actually told me to give it away and never use it again! Allure magazine named it the perfect black liner in June 2012, so it must work for a lot of people, including my cousin, so don't not try it on account of my bad experience with it. I'm starting to think that there's just something wrong with my eyes. =(

on 9/25/2013 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have the worst eyes and skin for eyeliner (pencil, gel, liquid, doesn't matter) - I have hooded lids and very oily skin and oily eyelids, so whenever I put anything on my skin around my eyes, it inevitably smudges, flakes or fades off. Not this baby! I do use an eyelid primer (two faced shadow insurance) to prep the lid before lining my top lid with a neat semi-cat eye. Firstly the formula could be accused of being too creamy, which can be wasteful when it breaks off all of a sudden and you have to sharpen more of the product out (Boo, I wish this came in a retractable pencil packaging for less waste). Other than that, the pencil glides on so smoothly and so opaquely and once you give it a moment to set, it won't be going anywhere. For even more staying power, I pat a navy or black matte shadow over the top to really set it and then it ain't going nowhere until my waterproof makeup remover touches it.

I'm disappointed that more people haven't had better luck with this, I hope perhaps it's just a matter of letting the product set for longer that might be the trick with this, because I've personally never found another eyeliner (drugstore and high end) that is as good as this, given my problems. Holy Grail Liner? You betcha.

on 11/5/2012 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased BB Long wear pencil in Jet and think its the best eyeliner I've used. I've seen the other reviews and do agree that pencil does break easily but in terms of staying power, I found it lasted the whole night without leaving me with panda eyes. I did use an eye makeup base and then applied eye shadow with eye liner being the last step - not sure if that helps but I would definitely recommend to friends

on 5/6/2012 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am very disappointed with this pencil. I have other Bobbi Brown Long-Wear eye pencils that I love & use every day... but for some reason, this one in Black Navy has been pretty crappy for me. Considering the fact that they are ridiculously expensive, this pencil should be perfection in every way; but it's not, and here's why: 1) Although creamier than BB's other, horrible, eye pencils... this black navy pencil is so soft that the tip actually broke off ON MY EYELID while I was applying this on my top lash line. When I sharpened it, I had to sharpen it down pretty far, and it seemed to waste a lot of the pencil. 2) This pencil tends to skip & drag on my aging lids instead of drawing a smooth line, and then it leaves ugly "white" lines that I can't neatly cover. When I try to fill-in the spaces it leaves, it only makes for a messy, crumbly line that causes flaking around my eye area throughout the day. 3) When using black navy on my upper lash line (not as a tightline), this liner wipes off when I use my eyelash curler. It actually pulls off my lid and sticks to the eyelash curler and leaves a big, empty gap that I have to try and fill-in again. (See reason #2 for more details.) I find this VERY annoying! I bought this pencil because I thought it was going to be an easier alternative to gel eyeliner, but this pencil just frustrates the heck outta me when I'm trying to do my eye makeup. I love soft, long-wear, eye pencils... and this pencil DOES last long (once you get the line to stick)... but this pencil is a bit too "crayon like" and inconsistent compared to Estee Lauder's kohl kajal eye pencils (LOVE those!) and Urban Decay 24/7 pencils. I also have no problem with applying the MAC Pearl Glide pencils when I use them on my upper lash line. MAC, Urban Decay, and Estee Lauder all make better performing long-wear eyepencils from my experience. I would not pay $24 on another one of these crappy BB eyepencils ever again.

PS- I looked at the reviews on the Bobbi Brown website for this pencil, and was relieved to see that I am not the ONLY person who experienced problems with the tip falling off and the pencil being difficult to apply to the eyelid. Here is what one other reviewer commented on the website:

-points fall out of pencil!
April 15, 2012
"The only reason I am giving this a one is the Black Navy color is lovely, makes blues eyes look wonderful. The first time I used the pencil, the "lead" fell out of the pencil using very little pressure....next time, same thing....3rd time, sharpened again...same thing ~ color point fell out of pencil. Does anyone test these products before offering them to the public?! Do yourself a favor, save your money and stick with the gel eyeliner. Very frustrating product! I will be returning this....."
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.

For more reviews, check out the website and read the reviews under the Long-Wear eye pencil page.

on 3/27/2012 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'll make this review short and sweet...the name should be EXTRA Long Wear Eye Pencil. This is a Perfect-Stay-Put Until-You-Remove-It liner!

on 5/31/2012 2:48:00 AM

I've used this product twice so far, so I don't have that much experience with it. So far though I can tell you the following:

- the tip broke of while I was using is for the first time. The sales assistance at BB told me to not use it at a 90 degree angle towards your eye, but more sideways, which I did. The tip still broke without using a lot of pressure. Also I want to be able to use an eyeliner the way I hald a pencil, that the whole point, otherwise I'd use a brush.

- application is not smooth and it needs a lot of filling in of gaps

-while it's quite waterproof and smudgeproof when I tested it on my hand, it smudges heavily on my eyelid within 1 to 2 hours I have relatively oily eyelids though and I live in a tropical climate

Altogether I will not rebuy this. I'm not a big fan, especially since it's pretty expensive.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have horded Nars long wear pencils and now BB has come out with the same product (it was just a matter of time) in fabulous colours. They are creamy, easy to apply and LAST. So while I love Nars, BB has a nicer range of colours. I got black navy which is really the only blue that looks ok with blue eyes. I know this is going to be sold out so I am going to stock up.
UPDATE: I'm on my second pencil because I cannot find a better colour for me. The formula does not hold up to its long wear promise and in addition to smudging (a lot!) ending up on my brown bone, it also cracks. So far I have had better luck with Chanel long wear pencils so I'm going there for a replacement.