Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) Fade Peel

Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  Fade Peel

3.6

A word of warning, this peel is very strong. Even if you are used to regular acid use, I would advise that you think twice before trying this peel. I am no newbie when it comes to acids, as I have used multiple MUAC peels (lactic acid 40% and 60%, glycolic acid 30%, and the mandelic/salicylic peel), and I use a serum with a high concentration of glycolic acid almost nightly. That being said, I have experienced some serious discomfort while using the peel. It wasn't enough to burn or damage my skin, but it made the peeling process rather unpleasant.

Some background on my skin. Last summer I had a pretty serious breakout on the lower half of my cheeks and parts of my jawline. As a result, I have two rather large areas with some red hyper-pigmentation and about 5 textured acne scars (mostly icepick and one rolling). I wanted to fade these scars as fast as possible, so I decided to try the fade peel. I figured that since I had success with lactic and glycolic acid, both of which are in the peel along with kojic and malic acids, I would also see similar results with this product. This was a correct assumption, and I am very happy with the results I'm seeing.

I have used the peel 4 times now, and my hyper-pigmentation has significantly faded, and my scars are looking shallower and less noticeable. I suspect that they will be almost entirely gone with a few more treatments. I'm also seeing a smoother, brighter complexion overall.

Some other things to consider. I only use this as a spot treatment on the areas I need it most, and I take extra care to keep it away from the more sensitive areas on my face, which for me is the sides of my nose and my upper cheeks. I'm also very careful to leave it on for no more than 5 minutes. The MUAC website also recommends that you start with the fade serum before trying the fade peel, to get your skin acclimated to formulation. If you are concerned about adverse reactions, I highly suggest you take this extra step.

Overall, I am very pleased with this peel, and I would recommend it to those looking to fade acne scars and other unwanted pigmentation.

on 1/12/2017 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

No stranger to acids. I've been using them off and on for 10 years. I've used several home peels from MUAC, including TCX Fusion and 12% TCA. The Fade peel and Salicylic peel are the worst one I've tried.
This fade peel literally burns my skin. I don't see it really fading anything, instead it adds hyperpigmentation spots as a result of burning my skin in certain areas. I don't peel anywhere except the burned spots. I follow the instructions, and honestly I only leave it on for 3 minutes maximum.
I use Tretinoin 3 times per week, but always stop 48+ hours before I attempt the Fade peel. I suppose the combination just is too much for my skin.
I can't possibly recommend it, but YMMV.

on 9/3/2016 10:16:00 AM

I have used nearly the entire full-size bottle and my hyper pigmentation is no better than before. I used as directed, but would sometimes get burns on the most sensitive spots on my face (nostrils, tops of cheeks) . I don't perceive that this is a weak peel, just that the Fade aspect did not work for me. I should note that my hyper pigmentation is primarily from liquid nitrogen treatment (cryotherapy) from the dermo. These spots are much more resistant to treatment than acne-related ones. I have tried many other products and have not found much besides 4% hydroquinone to be effective (which I cannot abide because of the side effects). And yes, I am a 365 days a year,multiple application sunscreen user!

on 3/16/2015 8:49:00 PM

I have used this peel for about 6 months. I have interchanged it with some other peels from MUAC (15% TCA, 55% Lactic Acid, and some glycolics from Paula's Choice). This product must be used consistently or it wont work. And you need to continue using it, or some similar type of peel, to maintain results.

I have pigmentation due to acne and sun on my jaw line. This product helped a noticeable amount, but reverted when I stopped using it. I will continue to use it more consistently.

Good price point, good product.

on 11/4/2015 6:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Background: I have sensitive, dry skin prone to atopic dermatitis. I am also acne-prone, so I do have quite a bit of hyperpigmentation and icepick scars. I've been using 10-12% AHAs every other day in conjunction with my Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid twice daily for 2 years. The only other peel I've tried is the MUAC 40% Lactic Acid peel which I love, but I wanted to use something else that gave me faster results. Plus, my neck is very dark compared to the rest of my body which makes foundation matching very annoying. I picked this peel also because there is no alcohol in it, which makes my sensitive skin very irritated and angry.

Yes, this peel is A LOT more intense compared to the 40% Lactic Acid. It does sting more intensely and you have to be super careful to not go over the recommended 5 minutes. I learned it the hard way; I didn't read the instructions carefully enough so the first time I used it, I left it in for 7 minutes because that's how long I do it for the lactic acid peel. Needless to say, it actually burned through my skin and scabbed, yikes. So do be very careful with this stuff. I however did not get any sort of frosting with this, probably because I slather a lot of Aquaphor all over my face during the night.

As for the actual effects, the Fade Peel definitely does a better job at evening overall skintone, getting rid of those pesky closed comedones and smoothing out any skin texture. However, I found the lactic acid peel to be better at lightening up hyperpigmentation by just a slim margin. Note that the lactic acid peels are considerably more expensive compared to the Fade Peel.

Overall I really like this product. This is definitely not something for noobies to try out but this product is fabulous if you've already experimented with other single ingredient peels. Highly recommend.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Okay I need some help I have been using this Fade peel for three weeks everybody keeps saying their face is peeling with this stuff my face has not peeled at all. I am leaving it on for 5 minutes and rinsing it off but I have no peeling at all Am I doing something wrong.

on 10/1/2014 12:47:00 PM

This is MUAC's strongest weekly peel. It has glycolic, lactic, kojic and malic acids. It is recommended for people with sun damage or hyperpigmentation. I had previously use the 25% Mandelic acid peel, but I wanted to step it up a bit. I use this peel weekly and then every six weeks, I do a 12.5% TCA. Between the two, I can say my brown spots and freckles have completely disappeared. Another MUAC winner!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

After having great success with MUAC's mandelic acid (25%) peel, I was like, OK, READY FOR THE BIG GUNS. I ordered up a sample size of the fade peel, and here I am, three weeks and three peels later, with skin worse off than before I used it.

With the mandelic acid, I was noticing my hyperpigmentation marks (on my cheeks, from acne) beginning to fade, and I wasn't breaking out in those areas. Three peels in to my fade peel experiment, the marks look redder; I'm breaking out almost consistently; and now, I'm also getting breakouts along my chin line that are even a little bit itchy.

But hey, you don't know until you try, right? I'm going to let my skin "recover" (let the breakouts start to calm down... they always flare up right after I used this peel; let the flaking go away) and then go back to the Mandelic Acid.

on 5/12/2014 4:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is a great peel! It is thicker than the other peels I have used (mandelic/salacylic & mandelic 25%), it tingles a little bit, but I think it really does work amazing, I can see a noticeable difference in the hyper pigmentation on my face, I rotate this peel with my other ones, but I have been noticing my skin tone evening out a LOT, and I have been using this for nine months. This, depending on how much I put on , does cause my nose to flake a little occasionally. It is a deeper peel and did make me break out a little the very first time I used it, but I expected this, it hasn't done so after the first time though!! :)
It smells okay, I don't notice the smell at all, it not strong.
Even after 9 months, I have a lot of product left, a little goes a long way, this stuff is great, definitely would re-purchase!!

on 1/14/2015 9:27:00 PM

This review is based on daily use of MUAC's Fade Serum and weekly use of MUAC's Fade Peel for 4 weeks.

Like everyone else, I noticed immediate results. All the blackheads, oil and dirt were pushed to the surface, allowing me to remove them easily and painlessly with a micro polish. I've never had such clean and fine pores, not even during my teenage years.

I did experience a small breakout initially. But this went away and didn't happen away.

The chicken pock scars on my forehead - two large round craters - also started to smoothen out and become less deep.

On my pigmentation, the results were less obvious. The recent acne marks went down quite quickly. But the sun spot I've had for several years became darker. But I think it got better. This is because I realise my sun spot has both red pigments (surface damage) and grey pigments (deeper damage). The red pigments can be covered with makeup, while the grey pigments cannot. Despite the sun spot becoming darker (redder), I now find it easier for me to conceal it with makeup because the grey pigments seemed to have gone down.

It remains to be seen whether my sun spot can be totally removed. I will report back in 2-3 months.