L'Oreal Lumi Magique

Filtered by skin type : Dry

3.8

AQUA / WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, DIMETHICONE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, GLYCERIN, ISOTRIDECYL ISONONANOATE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, DIMETHICONE/POLYGLYCERIN-3 CROSSPOLYMER, SODIUM CHLORIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, CHLORPHENESIN, DISODIUM EDTA, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, ETHYLHEXYL HYDROXYSTEARATE, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ALUMINIUM HYDROXIDE, ETHYLPARABEN, PEG-9, DIPROPYLENE, GLYCOL. (May contain): CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES, CI 77163 / BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE.

I kinda love this foundation, it has a smooth texture. I have really issues with getting cakey using a lot of foundations, but this one works great for my dry skin specially in these cold days.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I think I've found my drugstore HG (for the time being, at least)

This foundation plays really nicely with my dry skin. It has a lovely dewy sheen that imparts a healthy glow - always a plus for us dry skinned gals!

I apply with a beauty blender which I feel gives me a better finish, reducing flakes and visible dry patches. This foundation accentuates flakes only slightly when I've neglected my skincare, but otherwise, is really quite excellent.

Coverage is moderate at best, and while I would love a fuller coverage, with that come the dreaded flakes. I can always put concealer over red patches or blemishes.

Wear isn't incredible without primer. However, WITH primer (face of Australia) and setting spray (nyx dewy finish) it's lasted me a good 8 hours before it's completely faded. I really wish wear was longer, but its hard to find a dewy drugstore foundation that is long wearing.

Packaging is pretty good - the pump always dispenses a perfect amount of foundation. The smell, moreover, isn't overpowering (I hate strongly scented products)

The only other foundations I've found in the drugstore that plays relatively well with dry skin are Bourjois Healthy Mix and Maybelline Fit Me Dewy. I feel that the Lumi wins in terms of finish - it's dewy but doesn't 'cake' like the Fit Me tends to.
The Healthy Mix has more of a natural finish, and, from memory, lasts a little longer. The longevity of Healthy mix may make that a more appealing option for you - all comes down to personal preference.

This may work for you if you have oily or combination skin. My mum has combination skin and found it worked wonderfully for winter. (in summer, however, it was a bit much for her)

DEFINITELY give this one a go if you have dry skin though - it may just be your drugstore HG!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

At one time, my skin was basically a canvas of exploded dry pie crust...just flakes every damn where. With some changes to my skincare routine, that has improved, but most foundations still settle in a cakey and chalky way.

I have been using Coverall by Wet n Wild for a few years and like it but I wanted to try for a more smooth application with something else. My forehead always looks awful.

I researched this product for several weeks and figured the negative reviews were mainly from oily skinned people (who seem to be a majority in general). After using this product a week or so, I understand their horror. This is simply unworkable if your face is oily. It should be obvious, but again. Don't bother. Here's a quick rundown of my experimentation thusfar with a Real Techniques brush...

-UNDER LOTION W/SPF: Whoops! No no no. I forgot the Lumi has SPF, and my face looked as bad as it ever has. The foundation was gunky, greasy, and my pores were magnified.

-UNDER PRIMER: I didn't notice much change, but that may be the primer. I use Borghese.

-BARE SKIN: This was best, and I also realized I only need a little bit. The first few days, I had greasy skin and the makeup transferred everywhere. It was horrific. I noticed many vloggers saying they use way more than they do with other foundations. I tried just a tiny bit and it was MUCH better. I let one layer sit while I do brows and concealer, then put on another thin layer.

Overall, this foundation is a lot of work. I spend way too much time trying to get this to make nice looking skin. I have some redness but few marks/acne so it shouldn't be too difficult. I took someone's advice and got W1-2 when I'm cool toned and I'm not sure that worked. The makeup looks uneven and yellow.

I'm disappointed, but this could be a nice tinted moisturizer type if used in small quantities.

Update 6/28/15:
A few weeks in, I'm finding this foundation much better than I initially did. The less I use, the better it looks. It takes a bit of practice/trial and error, but I'm liking the way it looks.

I am a massive Tru Match fan and developed a habit of mixing a bit of illuminator into my Tru Match for a slightly more glowing effect. I figured using Lumi Maquique would create the same effect but boy was I wrong! I found the coverage to be really light - almost like a bb cream. Doesn't cancel out blue skin tones on eyelids etc at all. Might be good for teenagers with dry skin who need minimal coverage.

I like this product so much! My skin is very dry so it helps me to get that glowy look. keeps my skin hydrated and looks very light and natural but still covers well...

Disappointed in this product. The liquid is so thin and runny that it is difficult to get an even coverage. Considering it was so liquidous I thought it would be good for my dry skin, however it causes my skin to flake and catches on parts of my skin. It does give a nice finish, but because it is not long-lasting it needs to be set with a powder so then you lose that essence. The packaging is fine, the pump bottle is useful. The colour is not great. Like many people have said, the colour has a grey tone to it. Even with moisturiser, primer and finishing powder I just can't seem to make this product work for me.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

this is a pretty good foundation for drug store. Just keep in mind that it is probably better for dry skin because it gives off a sheen and is glowy, which could turn into oily for oily skin.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Broke me out like nobody's business... I have always used mineral powder bc I hate the way foundation feels. Looking for a more dewy look, I tried the Beautifying BB cream & loved it. But it clogged pores & caused break out after couple days. After reading reviews, I decided to try this. Wore today for first time for only 5 hrs. It didn't give much coverage, less than their bb cream actually. It was more moisturizing however- I could wear on top of dry patches. Wased face soon as I got home bc I felt dirty. Not oily- just like my skin couldn't breathe! Now hrs later, my skin feels oily & gross (my skin is super dry, this is strange!) and I have sooooo many pimples!!! Huge ones, small ones.. & pores look bigger. So sad... If anyone knows a good foundation just to even tone & cover some acne (now!) let me know!!! Ugh...

I love this foundation! I have quite normal skin, and don't usually break out and Lumi Magique hasn't made me break out at all. I have fair skin and the colour blends well, and is so smooth! It is a light coverage but very easily buildable. The packaging is lovely as well. Would defiantly buy this again

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I give this 4 and half lippies. But chose to see the glass as more half empty so I chose 4 instead of 5.

This foundation is truly awesome at making you look 'lit from within'. It gives an amazing glow without any shimmer or glitter whatsoever. The coverage is light/medium. Not light to medium. More on the heavier side of light and a medium medium. I found this foundation to be only buildable for 2 layers. And it also seems to take a while to set, about 15 minutes on my skin.

Now my negatives are:

It wears off onto clothes a small amount. My work shirts at the end of the day have a skin coloured rim on them. But not as bad as some other foundations.
After numerous amounts of testing in different situations, I can attest that it does NOT work well in certain areas. I suggest:

DO wear it:
To work, on a date, to the movies, a meeting, if you have dry or combo skin, somewhere where you want to look glowy and gorgeous!

DON'T wear it:
if you have oily skin (which I don't), live in a humid area, are very active, or looking for a full coverage matte look.

This foundation is great. For me. My dry skin loves it! But at the end of the day, the coverage is considerably less (I'm talking a 10 hour day). At the 6 hour mark my skin is starting to show signs of redness. At the end of the day (10 hours) I look like I MIGHT have tinted moisturizer on.
Either way, even at the end of the day and even if most of my foundation has gone, I still look glowing! Not oily, not dewy, just glowing! I dunno what they use but I only pray that they put this 'lit from within' formula into a more full coverage foundation. Then it would be my HG. (And also if they lowered the price. Here in Australia it costs $28.00.)