L'Oreal Paris Lumi Magique

3.4

AQUA / WATER, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, DIMETHICONE, ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE, GLYCERIN, ISOTRIDECYL ISONONANOATE, PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, DIMETHICONE/POLYGLYCERIN-3 CROSSPOLYMER, SODIUM CHLORIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, DISODIUM STEAROYL GLUTAMATE, CHLORPHENESIN, DISODIUM EDTA, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, ETHYLHEXYL HYDROXYSTEARATE, PROPYLPARABEN, BUTYLPARABEN, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, ALUMINIUM HYDROXIDE, ETHYLPARABEN, PEG-9, DIPROPYLENE, GLYCOL. (May contain): CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 / IRON OXIDES, CI 77163 / BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I got the US version of this which is called True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup. It retails for $12.95 US but I paid less due to coupons and sales. This is suppose to be suitable for all skin types, lightweight, buildable coverage, last up to 8 hours, and has a "luminous" finish. 15 shades available- Cool, Neutral, Warm- higher the number darker it is.

I normally have oily-combo skin but right now it's a little dry and flaky in some spots. So I need something that is moisturizing and less matte than my normal go-to foundations. When I have dry skin I prefer dewy natural finish foundation.

My other foundation colors are MAC NC35-37, NARS Sheer Glow Stromboli, Bare Minerals in Golden Beige and Medium Beige, Revlon Medium Beige/Golden Warm-Beige, Alima Minerals Golden 4/5, and Clinique Golden Neutral. Yellow, olive, medium toned.

I choose True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup in W4- Natural Beige (Warm) and think it's a decent match for me. It goes on a hair too light but blends in with my skin tone fine. I would have preferred the next step up W5- Sand Beige(?) but the store did not have it, they had W6- Sun Beige but that looked too dark. I prefer to go slightly lighter than darker with my foundation. My skin tends to oxidize foundations- so better safe than sorry. W4 has the right yellow-beige undertones for me. If I had to match this up to MAC in the color ranges I would consider I would say:

W3- NC30
W4- NC30-35
W5- NC35-37
W6-NC37-40

This foundation is liquidy and applies very easy. I did not have any issues with blending this foundation out and making it look nice on my skin. Coverage was light-medium. I was able to build up two layers but it did not cover major zits. I don't expect foundation to cover things like that and use concealer for that. I liked that it gave my skin healthy and soft appearance. My skin had a slight glow but not shimmery. It reminds me a bit of NARS Sheer Glow foundation but less pigmented and matte ( not that NARS Sheer Glow is matte but L'Oreal is more dewy and with the L'Oreal I had to use a lot more product to achieve the same coverage as NARS ) This foundation also reminded me of Diorskin Nude Natural Foundation- they both have a similar finish and feel- Dior felt slightly lighter and had less coverage. True Match Lumi didn't make my skin look too dewy or matte- it just looked like how skin is suppose to look when it's in good condition.

I always use primer and setting powder with my foundations and found this combination made my foundation last about six-eight hours. My t-zone still gets a oily and I had to blot after a few hours- not a big deal since I knew that this foundation is not meant for oil control Not extreme long wear but not bad either.

Overall, I enjoy using this foundation and would repurchase if I ran out. It's a very good foundation and just as good as high end foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm no fan of L'Oreal and have never been impressed by any of their products except mascaras; however, this foundation sounded like just what I want from my base, so I decided to buy it. My previous experiences with drugstore foundations have been pretty disappointing - the only other drugstore foundation I've ever liked enough to use regularly is Bourjois Healthy Mix. It seems this may be a serious contender for my drugstore foundation of choice.
Happily, this is a very good product and is also suited to my dry skin type, which is - once again - not something I've found in many drugstore bases.
Lumi Magique has light to medium coverage. It can be layered freely without becoming cakey; however, too much layering can result in creasing under the eyes or any other crevices in the skin as the formula is very creamy, so I wouldn't recommend going for more than two layers. It does even out the skin nicely and it covers minor imperfections, but anything more than that will show through.
The finish is absolutely lovely, especially for dry skinned folk - it's not dewy or slick, but rather glowy and fresh. Just after applying it, I can see a beautiful shimmer effect on my cheekbones in certain lighting, as if I'd applied a highlighter. I love this effect because it perks up my dry, dull skin just enough without being garish. Now, since I'm not buying the whole 'magic light' marketing mumbo-jumbo, I think this may contain some very discreet shimmer, though I can't see any shimmer particles either on my face, in the bottle or on a hand swatch. The subtle 'highlighting' effect does go away after a couple of hours, and then (on my skin at least) the foundation settles down to a nice satin-to-natural finish.
It also works very well with dry skin - it doesn't make my skin feel tight or uncomfortable, which most foundations not specifically made for dry skin usually do. I always use a moisturizer prior to foundation and that seems to be enough for this one. Exfoliating also helps - it seems to enhance the smooth, radiant finish.
The shade range, while not very extensive, is helpfully divided into three groups: C (pink undertones), N (neutral), W (yellow or golden). The higher the number, the darker the colour, N1 being the palest, as far as I know. Easy to remember and find a suitable shade.
As for downsides, there are a few, although none of them are deal breakers for me personally:
a) it's not particularly long-lasting even on dry skin; it lasts about 6-7 hours on me and then starts to fade away. This is not something that can take you from morning to night without touching up, but on the bright side, it is easy to touch up. It won't pill or cake if you add a bit later.
b) Both L'Oreal's and Boots' websites state that it has SPF18, however the bottle doesn't mention any SPF; this makes me slightly skeptical, so I wouldn't rely on it for sun protection.
c) The shade range is not particularly large and varies from country to country. Where I live, C2 (rose porcelaine) is the lightest colour available and it's a touch too pink and too dark for me; I'd have preferred n1 (neutral undertone). There are pale people living in the Balkans, L'Oreal!
d) As far as I know, L'Oreal still test on animals.

To sum up, I think this is a lovely, light to medium foundation with a radiant finish. It would be most suitable for normal to dry skin without major imperfections.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was very impressed by this foundation. Initially, I was concerned that this would make my oily/combo skin look and feel too greasy, but it does not have that effect at all. The 'lumi' part of this foundation refers more to the natural, satin finish that it gives. It effectively covers up my red spots, light post-acne scars, and smooths the appearance of my pores. This does not make me oily at all, so I would feel confident using it even during the summer.

I take one pump of the foundation and dot it around my face. Then I take my real techniques flat top buffing brush and quickly blend it over my skin. I then take another 1/2 pump to blend it over the areas I want more coverage (around nose/mouth, acne scars). I set it by pressing (not buffing!) a light powder over my t-zone. I like using MAC mineralize skinfinish, maybelline dream matte powder, or Rimmel pressed powder to set the foundation, then I spritz Urban Decay's All-Nighter spray 2-3 times on my face. This routine gives me a flawless base that lasts from 7am to 9pm every day.

Compared to Revlon Colorstay (my other drugstore HG foundation), the L'Oreal has slightly less coverage, a more satin finish (rather than pure-matte), and it is more buildable. The lasting power is similar.

Compared to MAC face and body foundation, the L'Oreal has better coverage, feels lighter on the skin, and 'sets' better. I feel like the MAC F&B never really sets on my skin and it transfers onto shirts and sunglasses easily.

Lumi does not have glitter particles like the Revlon Photoready foundation, yet it makes my skin look super healthy. It achieves the 'glowy' HD effect without the added oiliness, shininess, or heaviness.

Price is standard for US drugstore foundations: about $11 for 1 fl. oz.

My local Ulta only carried 6 shades, so I bought the lightest shade available: n1-n2 neutral soft ivory/classic ivory. It has two names on the cap but I'm not entirely sure why it is a range rather than a single shade. I am NC20 at MAC, Sand Beige in Revlon for reference. This is a great color match for my light neutral-undertone Asian skin, but it will be too dark for those with a PPP skintone.

I also wanted to add that removal is KEY for long-lasting foundations. I recommend using a two-step makeup removal process. First use a cleansing oil or balm to dissolve the foundation/powder/sunscreen that has been sitting on your face all day. Then use a second mild cleansing facial wash to remove all the residue. Moisturize with your favorite face lotion. If you use a toner/cotton pad step after washing your face, the cotton pad should look *clean* after swiping your face. I am a firm believer that makeup removal should be done at the bathroom sink. If your cotton pad is looking beige or grey, it means that your cleansing routine is not thorough enough. Sometimes a foundation is not the reason your skin is breaking out, it could be that your nightly cleansing method is not effectively removing all traces of foundation/oil/dirt/sebum from your skin.

What part of LUMI did people not understand? Luminous implying dewy. Dewy is not oil control. If you're judging the foundation on what it's intended for then it is great! I love it! The regular true match was matte but never showed my dry patches. This foundation is similar in that way and is subtly dewy and medium coverage. I'd recommend it for people with dry skin. It won't control oil.

When I first used this product, it went on well and the coverage was great. However, as the day progressed, my face felt very greasy and every time I touched my face due to an itch, I'd end up having greasy foundation on my fingers. I only used a small amount of the product so I was astounded after seeing how oily it had become. HOWEVER... Recently I had bought a new brush which I use for my foundation. It is the ELF Flat Kabuki Powder Brush which you can use to buff in liquid foundations. Ever since using this brush, the foundation has stopped going oily and the coverage has improved dramatically. So I think that the tool used for application significantly impacts its staying power, coverage and appearance on the skin! I now use this foundation every day in conjunction with the brush and absolutely love how it makes my skin look!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this as a replacement for my Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation, which doesn't work for me at all. My first attempt was to buy Maybelline's Fit Me foundation but I'm always eager to try all foundations that claim to give face a natural glow.

All the shades are a bit 'rosy', in other words pink. My skin is very very fair and cold-toned but the lightest color (Rose Pearl) still works for my skintone. I guess the pink hue is related to the 'glow from inside out'.

The foundation is supposed to give full coverage but IMO it's more like a medium. It's definitely not the same category (in coverage) as i.e. Dior Forever, which gives a great coverage. Lumi is still buildable and you can get a better coverage with more product and it doesn't get flaky or clumpy.

Overall I really, really loved this foundation, I don't have any negative thoughts about it. It works well; gives the glow it promises, has a good staying power, doesn't get oily (on my dry/normal skin) and gives a moderate coverage without being anything like a mask. This foundation would work anyone who loves a nice glow (but not oily look) on their face.

In Canada this is marketed as L'Oreal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup SPF 20. I purchased this at Walmart for approximately $17 in the shade W1-2 Porcelain Light Ivory which is a good match for my complexion. For reference I wear MAC NC15, Bourjois 51 Vanille Clair, Revlon Colorstay in Buff, Vichy Dermablend in Opal, Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation in Ivory Rose, NARS Deauville, and Revlon PhotoReady in Vanilla.
I'm very disappointed that this foundation just didn't work for me and my needs. I love the elegance of the bottle which has a pump, the good colour match, silky blendable formula, dewy finish, and that this product contains SPF. I just found this foundation didn't deliver in coverage or durability of wear. The coverage I found to be sheer to light and not buildable without feeling heavy and looking cakey. In terms of wear this didn't last more then 2 hours on my combination skin before it looked greasy, smears, and began to sink into my pores and fine lines. I tried numerous ways to apply this foundation including different moisturizers, primers, and setting powders, but nothing I tried seemed to help.

My new HG foundation. (I own MAC studio fix, Bobbi Brown, Shiseido, Clinique Even Better, Chanel lumiere and this one is sooo much better. Like 10 x better.

It spreads so smoothly using a Real Techniques buffing brush, flows onto my skin like liquid silk whereas the MAC streaks on and takes forever to blend.

I'm a nurse, get quite sweaty running the wards and showering and this actually stays in place better than Revlon Colorstay. It's dewy, it makes my 41 year old skin look flawless, not sparkly like Clinique Even Better....If it's ever discontinued I will be making a bid to buy L'Oreal and order my staff to start making it again at once. LOVE.

(I'm NC25 with a dot of NW25 and the shade I use of this foundation is DW3)

This is an interesting foundation, it is the only drugstore foundation that I would say is similar to some high-end ones. It is satiny, with no sparkles, light coverage, and skin-like finish. I am using W4 because it's the light-medium yellow toned one. W3 is more pink, thereby making it look odd on my NC30 skin. The colors, though separated into W, N, and C, have numbers but the numbers differ not only in shade depth but also tone, which is ridiculous. Be sure to look and compare carefully when choosing a shade.

Pros: No breakouts on my sensitive acne-prone skin,
Seems to not get caught up on dry flakes,
Does not dry out skin,
good pump doesn't press out too much,
Natural looking finish.

Cons: Not for oily skin,
Not for high heat conditions,
Doesn't cover much,
Needs to be set with powder for staying power.

The best way to apply this thin formula is with a foundation brush and small patting motions. It is otherwise too "heavy" feeling. It evens out skin tone marvelously, but don't expect it to really cover things like zits. If you apply too much, it feels gross. Overall, it is not a versatile foundation. It doesn't build up well. It is more of a "perfecting" foundation for people with not many skin issues. If you find a good color match, you should try it. In bright sunlight, my friend thought I looked fantastic naturally. She didn't realize I already had this foundation all over my face. "True Match Luminous" pretty much does what it says.

I am a foundation junkie, it's my thing. I've pretty much tried and tested near every brand, I'm constantly on the hunt for my HG. I really actually only bought this because my friend started wearing it, she was looking so dewy, soft and had this beaming complexion which made her look stunning. I asked what she was wearing ? And she told me this foundation. I had to try it.

I had bought loreal match before and I'm usually a w3/4 depending on if I have been self tanning more. I actually purchased this in W5, looking back I think it was a bit too dark but it wasn't too off.

Initially I wore this foundation nearly everyday, I wore it too one of my best friends wedding instead of my usual studio fix( in hindsight I wished I hadn't) After experimenting with so many different foundations, I've realised this was not meant for me (my friend - yes, me not so much)
I prefer a full and matte flawless finish. This is incredibly luminous, made me look very shiny and artificial. It's thick a lot thicker then LTM and gives a medium coverage but is build able. It's not a bad foundation by any means just not suitable for everyone, someone actually commented that it looks really weird on my skin.

I think this is more suited to more mature skin , if you have oily skin I would avoid this. I wouldn't re purchase but can imagine this would look good on some people. I would definitely recommend a powder to set this.

PROS

* decent ish coverage
* feels hydrating
* thick and easy to blend
* would look great on a mature skin tye
CONS

* too wet looking for my liking
* very fake looking ( not a natural looking finish)
* doesn't last long on your face